Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should SPITTING On Iraq War Veterans Be An Accepted Form Of Anti-War Protest
Yes 4 4.30%
No 16 17.20%
No. This should be considered a federal hate crime. 11 11.83%
No. This should be a local assault charge. 39 41.94%
Both options 3 and 4. 23 24.73%
Not Sure 0 0%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:09 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Whatever dude, take a goddamn chill pill!!
Nope, I still get angry thinking of what that botech did in the air port.......no pass for that one

Old 07-23-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oooh, and if you're part of the radical right, you deserve the same.

How can you possibly condemn an entire group of people for something that may or may not have happened?

If indeed this did occur 40 years ago, how do you know that those people aren't republicans today? Don't have a clue, do you?
MOD CUT, its documented that soliders were spit on 40 years ago, I gave a personal and compelling description of a what happend to me.
and you dare tos say "IF" and "May or MAY not"

I can still see the look of glee as that little bo curled her lips and the absolute surprise as her butt hit the floor...........you got that

Last edited by NewToCA; 07-24-2008 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: rude comment

Old 07-23-2008, 09:20 PM

Now regarding the state of California and its soldiers.......food for thought
California, San Mateo, was the ONLY state and town to give a homecoming parade to a unit of soldiers returning from Vietnam. San Mateo, HOUSED an entire unit of 101 airborne in their town, in their homes in their businesses for three whole days...

NO OTHER American town did for the VIet Vets as SAN MATEO did and I will ALWAYS hold the town of SAN MATEO in absolute prestige and honor for the kindness they did for boys, yes BOYS returning from the killing fields and jungles............

We lost our youth, our idealism, or humanity for a period of time.........

Old 07-23-2008, 11:29 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
During the prelude to the American Revolutionary war, the English governor rounded up townspeople and had them executed as examples of disobedience. That too was a form of protest, although legal under the circumstances of the time. Do you feel that is also an appropriate action?
Sure, each side will always do what they believe to be right. The protestors knew the risks, however those actions usually back-fire against the status quo.

When you're planning an insurgency or revolution, one thing you can always count on is that the government will always over-react to your benefit (since it leads to new recruits and public opinion eventually moves to your side).

Quote:
While illegal actions do take place, I do not condone them, nor do I consider it the "right" of an idividual to cause injury of any sort to another to exercise their right of protest.
You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. If you're going to protest, you're obligated to begin using peaceful non-violent means, but you have to be willing to take it to the next level, as that's often necessary to prevail especially once you've exhausted non-violent means.

Quote:
I feel that the only legitimate protest is the orderly letter campaign, demonstration, filibuster, political campaign, etc. As soon as it progresses into spitting, hair pulling, fist throwing, stick swings, rock tossing, gasoline ignition, gun shooting, knive wielding, sniping, bombing, poisoning, etc....it has gone too far and is abhorrent.
Well that depends. Ghandi's methods worked in India, but have failed everywhere else, but then no two circumstances are alike.

Quote:
If the situation has gotten so bad as to warrant activities of this caliber, then it is progressed to the point of revolution and there should be enough like minded individuals to conduct war rather than terrorism of individuals.
War includes the terrorism of individuals, even more so when the war is a revolution or war of independence. You think tax collectors, police, politicians, media personalities, judges, bankers and businessmen get a pass in a revolution? Only if they support the rebel view. Those who oppose, and their families, get a free ride to experience life in a new dimension.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:41 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
I wonder if people can even imagine what it does to a soldier, nerves still twanging from months or years of dodging bullets and bombs, waiting for the next IED to get your convoy, watching friends die, feeling so far away from everyone and everything you love, to finally be "home"......only to be greeted by someone spitting in your face. Can you even imagine?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly757 View Post
As much as I can appreciate your service
I don't demand that people appreciate or even recognize my service. I wasn't drafted, I volunteered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly757 View Post
I simply cannot in any way grasp how you would condone the mistreatment of your own comrades.
I owe them nothing, since I didn't ask them to volunteer, and I don't see where they have been mistreated. If they haven't figured out that the US is a lying, conniving, murderous, thieving, thug, hellbent on protecting its own selfish interests at the expense of others (and ultimately to the detriment of itself), and that they're merely pawns in the game of global geo-strategy, then that's their problem.

I have more respect for those who refused tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, and those who deserted than those automatons who served blindly.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:52 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,328,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
I hope the person, who did the spitting, is charged with assault.
War Protester Spits On Iraq War Vet at Santa Barbara Demonstration

YouTube - Santa Barbara Anti-American Protest
Did anyone watch the video?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:02 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,039,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

I have more respect for those who refused tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, and those who deserted than those automatons who served blindly.
Well, let's be careful now...you are speaking of my husband who VOLUNTEERED to go to Iraq from Korea. He wasn't ordered to go, he felt it was his duty to keep his comrades alive. He wanted to be first on the list of those who volunteered, but settled for being second to step forward.

In the end, he was shot in the head. He'd go back in a heartbeat if it meant he could continue to keep our men (and women) alive in this mess.

If you truly volunteered, you knew your duty....yet you are sitting here saying that you condone and memorialize those who refused to do their duty?

Old 07-24-2008, 12:04 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
Yes I did watch the video. Idiots.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:05 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,039,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Did anyone watch the video?
I did. I am appalled and disgusted.

And what I read here is even more shocking.

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 07-24-2008 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: knock off questioning other posters backgrounds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies