Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:30 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times

Advertisements

No... I did NOT get the story mixed up. The link I provided was to show you the kind of shoddy journalism to make it appear this family was in circumstances beyond their control when it was the parents who put them in that circumstance... if you want evidence to show that they had their mortgage paid off here....

"Lake City mayor Willie Oswalt was among the 1,800 volunteers helping "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" build the Harper’s new home 3 ½ years ago. Beazer Homes of Atlanta was the main sponsor. The mayor said he is baffled.“Beazer gave them $100,000 cash, paid their mortgage off and they still can't make it," said Oswalt."

'Extreme Home Makeover' House Threatened With Foreclosure - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Now that the AP got the story, everyone is just copying them now.... the story is morphing to the "AP story" which doesn't explain that the mortgage was PAID off... apparently eevee got his/her facts messed up but its nice to blame me instead of the people at fault... oh well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 07:39 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
My vote is the cancer bills...

Old 07-29-2008, 08:04 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
What part of "they took 450k mortgage to pay for a business", didn't you understand? They didn't EARN enough to pay that mortgage off... they are in foreclosure for being irresponsible... I guarantee you that if they didn't try to "get rich", their home would not be in foreclosure...

Old 07-29-2008, 09:34 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
No... I did NOT get the story mixed up. The link I provided was to show you the kind of shoddy journalism to make it appear this family was in circumstances beyond their control when it was the parents who put them in that circumstance... if you want evidence to show that they had their mortgage paid off here....

"Lake City mayor Willie Oswalt was among the 1,800 volunteers helping "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" build the Harper’s new home 3 ½ years ago. Beazer Homes of Atlanta was the main sponsor. The mayor said he is baffled.“Beazer gave them $100,000 cash, paid their mortgage off and they still can't make it," said Oswalt."

'Extreme Home Makeover' House Threatened With Foreclosure - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Now that the AP got the story, everyone is just copying them now.... the story is morphing to the "AP story" which doesn't explain that the mortgage was PAID off... apparently eevee got his/her facts messed up but its nice to blame me instead of the people at fault... oh well...
First of all, no one is blaming you – I just asked you a question. If you don’t want people to pose questions about your threads- don’t start them. Keep your ideas in your head that way no one can disagree with you.

Now the first link you provided was about the Byers family. The second was about the Harper family. The information that you stated “paying off their mortgage, borrowing the 100K” all goes along with the Harper family; none of those things are mentioned in the link that you provided or anywhere else online. When I searched for Extreme makeover home in foreclosure the Harper family is the story that comes up. When I searched for the Byer’s family – I just got a link to a website in memory of the child.

That’s why I asked you if it was possible that you got the stories mixed up but I guess it was presumptuous of me to think that you might have made an error. I humbly apologize.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
^^ Hey Natalay - it looks to me that the OP got the two stories mixed up. It looks like the link to the article in the Seatle paper was posted, and then he went on to describe the story behind the family in Atlanta.

AT first I did not understand what all the confusion was about because I never clickedon the first link, but I had read the story about the Harpers in another paper this morning.

The family in the first link - it seems like it was just a sad set of circumstances that have led to financial problems. The other family - well, taking out a $450k loan, using your free home as collateral, I find that just reprehensible and very poor financial decision on their part.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:04 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
I feel very sorry for the Byers but the Harpers can go suck an egg. They made a bad decision and they need to reap the consequences of that decision. EMHE is here in Charlotte this week and I just can't get excited about it b/c I wonder how many of these people really need it and why a family of 4 needs a 5,000 sqft house? I know I'm very pessimistic but when you give someone a way to a better life (no mortgage and money to pay property taxes!!!) and they p*** it away on a pipe dream, I feel no sympathy.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:10 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,662 times
A case of another idiot bank loaning money that the borrower can't repay....and the beat goes on!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:08 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I feel very sorry for the Byers but the Harpers can go suck an egg. They made a bad decision and they need to reap the consequences of that decision. EMHE is here in Charlotte this week and I just can't get excited about it b/c I wonder how many of these people really need it and why a family of 4 needs a 5,000 sqft house? I know I'm very pessimistic but when you give someone a way to a better life (no mortgage and money to pay property taxes!!!) and they p*** it away on a pipe dream, I feel no sympathy.
I agree - I understand that they want to give this people a dream house but sometimes I think they go overboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies