Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:26 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times

Advertisements

you want to know why it is how it is? it's not so much a black and white thing, it's more about poverty in the south. being poor, you would usually get the bad and tough cuts of meat. frying the meat would make even the worst cuts of meat tender. country fried steak, fried chicken, ect. slow cooking was another way the poor would cook in the south. slow smoking pork bbq is huge here in NC and it has its roots in poverty, not race. it's just a stereotype, and it shows ignorance. but like I said, no shame when someone stereotypes me for whatever reason, and trust me, I have been stereotyped negatively quite a bit in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
It's not "Oh Jmarquise likes fried chicken". It's if someone asks you what you're doing for dinner and you say "headed to natalay's house for some fried chicken and red kool-aid." It's an assumption that chicken and Kool-aid are staples in black homes. That we eat them every day.

I don't really know where the jokes began but I know they are meant to be offensive. If I had to guess, it would be because both chicken and Kool-aid are cheap. Most black comedians have taken the joke and turned it around; i.e Chris Rock and the big piece of chicken.

I even have a book called "Why Do Black People Love Fried ChickenIt was given to me by my mass comm teacher when I complained to him that I was tired of the other students coming to me every time they had a "black" question. It's a pretty good book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 02:29 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
And just to reiterate, real conservatives DON'T love McCain; we merely see him as the lesser of two evils because he certainly wouldn't have been my choice.

I think the conservative saying is " Obama will open the borders 100% Mccain will open them 60% "

lol

I wont vote GOP but agree Mccain isnt a conservative

Old 07-26-2008, 02:31 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Clarification, OP: "[Drinking] the Kool-Aid" is applied routinely to all unquestioning followers of political leaders or causes, both liberal and conservative.

Right and saying ofcourse began after the Jim Jones suicides

Old 07-26-2008, 02:34 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Yes but on the flip side those that do not see racial intent even when it is present may need to sit down and think about it ,etc

I myself see nothing wrong with Kool aid as that applies to anyone who blindly follows but FOX IMO is racist

Of course...now i see....your from Florida...I get the whole racist comment now.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:34 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Well, Natalay, just to put your mind at ease, in THIS context, it's not about race. It's about Jim Jones--

p.s. if you need further proof, you'll recall that they used the term "Clinton Kool-Aid Drinkers" constantly when Hellary was running.
I'm not stupid. I was aware of the Jim Jones reference before you pointed it out. I was commenting on the fact that there are some who are intelligent enough to use it both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you want to know why it is how it is? it's not so much a black and white thing, it's more about poverty in the south. being poor, you would usually get the bad and tough cuts of meat. frying the meat would make even the worst cuts of meat tender. country fried steak, fried chicken, ect. slow cooking was another way the poor would cook in the south. slow smoking pork bbq is huge here in NC and it has its roots in poverty, not race. it's just a stereotype, and it shows ignorance. but like I said, no shame when someone stereotypes me for whatever reason, and trust me, I have been stereotyped negatively quite a bit in my life.
I agree; it is more of a southern black people joke because I'd never heard it until I moved to FL.

Does anybody remember My Cousin Vinny? I'd never heard of grits until I saw that movie and I thought it was some weird food that only white people in Alabama ate

Old 07-26-2008, 02:37 PM

Or spin it so they can make an arguement...that's not there.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:44 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
Quote:
I agree; it is more of a southern black people joke because I'd never heard it until I moved to FL.

Does anybody remember My Cousin Vinny? I'd never heard of grits until I saw that movie and I thought it was some weird food that only white people in Alabama ate
I don't mind being stereotyped for liking good food. grits are freaking gross. shrimp and grits are big around here. I will eat some cream of wheat with some brown sugar though. I actually would rather have some home fries. I haven't eaten today and I am getting hungry. just as many rednecks eat soul food as do black people. I just view it as southern food, and some of it is quite tasty, except for the grits.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:47 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Yes but on the flip side those that do not see racial intent even when it is present may need to sit down and think about it ,etc

I myself see nothing wrong with Kool aid as that applies to anyone who blindly follows but FOX IMO is racist
The problem is, that intent is often a punching bag used by people to proclaim racist intent.

Take for instance in Dallas with our racist counsel member Mr. Price. Mr. Price decides peoples intent for them regardless of the context or use of a word. This is common today in these issues.

How words are taken are based on their context in order to determine intent. If a person is unclear of intent, they can ask for clarification. If a person summarizes intent without using the context and/or seeking clarification, then they are ultimately attempting to support a racist position of their own. A person who claims another a racist can be as much a racist as they claim the other to be.

Personally, I could care less what someone "believes" I may mean. Those types of people are not interested in what you mean as much as they interested in using what you say for their own personal agenda.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:51 PM

Nevermind I see why they are so jealous:

"Why he was chosen: Fox News Channel is making money, money, money by racking up rating$, rating$, rating$ day in, day out, year after year. The network created in his image is consistently among the 10 most-watched channels in the cable world (second-place CNN is in the low 20s and third-place MSNBC seldom even makes the Top 30). However, FNC has been oddly low-profile and sotto voce in the most portentous political year in memory despite the presence of Karl Rove in Fox News’ pundit pack"

Old 07-26-2008, 03:00 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
...the fact that there are some who are intelligent enough to use it both ways...
Or, some who are paranoid and/or opportunistic enough to PRESUME people are using the expression in both ways, in order to claim racism.

It's not being used as a double-entendre. God knows, there are enough white Obama kool-aid drinkers to eliminate any racial undertones associated with that expression in this case, in fact maybe in all cases!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies