Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:26 PM

38,649 posts, read 26,438,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm sure they will when Christian fundamentalists stop legislating thier personal brand of morality.

Christian conservatives are an independent legislative body?

News to me.

Look, for every action, thier is a reaction. The left, knowing that adults will generally reject their illogical assertions (like gay sex is normal and same-sex marriage is a right), has set their eyes on our children. They are, and have been for decades, seeking to influence the future through them via the public school system when they should be focusing on academic matters. When McCain confronted Obama about school vouchers that are extremely popular, Obama dodged the question and gave his standard canned answer, "I want to make the public school system so good that folks won't need vouchers".

If the left would simply stop trying to force their values on our children and to have laws enacted through the court systems instead of the elected legislatures, conservative Christians could spend their time and energy doing the more productive things they would prefer to do. I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:40 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,759,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy27 View Post
There are also rumors that aids was created in a laboratory. All we know is since the beginning of man aids suddenly came on the screen and it was prevalent and spread easily among male homosexuals especially in the bath houses where they had multiple partners.
The information I posted is NOT a rumor. It is scientific research for god's sake.

You discard fact in favor of rumor.

Well, that certainly proves that your ignorance regarding this disease is not simply a case of being unlearned and unschooled but deliberate obtuseness.

Quote:
All we know is since the beginning of man aids suddenly came on the screen
Wow, you have evidence that the AIDS virus is over 2.2 million years old? I know a few anthropologists that would love to talk to you.

Last edited by Kele; 11-23-2008 at 08:50 PM..

Old 11-23-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
So by that logic would it be ok to still have laws in certain states where African Americans only count for 3/5ths of a human being? Certain laws are unconstitutional because they infringe upon citizens rights. You can ban alcohol, you can ban medical marajuana, but you cannot deny a human being the right to marry, even if the majority of a city or county disagree with it.

What part of the Constitution guarantees anyone the right to marry?

Marriage is a special contract between one man and one woman that is designed to protect the interests of the children created by the sexual relationship they have.

What is to prevent a heterosexual couple from entering into a civil union and adopting children?

Nothing would. In fact singles can adopt children if they so choose.

Why is that legal arrangement not acceptable to gays? It is because gays want to force their unnatural way of life on the rest of us and compel us to legally recognize it as mainstream. And they want to force our children to be indoctrinated into their liberal gender non-specific moral relativism.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:36 PM

149 posts, read 171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Marriage is a special contract between one man and one woman that is designed to protect the interests of the children created by the sexual relationship they have.

What is to prevent a heterosexual couple from entering into a civil union and adopting children?

Why is that legal arrangement not acceptable to gays? It is because gays want to force their unnatural way of life on the rest of us and compel us to legally recognize it as mainstream. And they want to force our children to be indoctrinated into their liberal gender non-specific moral relativism.
momonkey you hit the nail on the head. I also do beleive they want to force our children to be indoctrinated into their liberal gender non-specific moral relativism. That is really putting it nicely. Beware they do have an agenda.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:52 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,063,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy27 View Post
momonkey you hit the nail on the head. I also do beleive they want to force our children to be indoctrinated into their liberal gender non-specific moral relativism. That is really putting it nicely. Beware they do have an agenda.
Where do you come up with this kind of garbage?

I can't speak for all gay men and women...but I can speak for myself and many gay men and women when I say yes, we do have an agenda, and that agenda is to be treated with respect, and to enjoy the same rights as any other citizen of this country. Yes we do have an agenda...and I would suggest that you get used to it, as we are not going to stop until we are treated equally.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:56 PM

149 posts, read 171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
The information I posted is NOT a rumor. It is scientific research for god's sake.

You discard fact in favor of rumor.

Well, that certainly proves that your ignorance regarding this disease is not simply a case of being unlearned and unschooled but deliberate obtuseness.

Wow, you have evidence that the AIDS virus is over 2.2 million years old? I know a few anthropologists that would love to talk to you.
You misunderstand me I did not say that the aids virus was over 2.2 million years old! I meant to say it suddenly made it appearance it cam on the scene get my drift? It suddenly showed up mainly in the 60's I believe. It may have started in Africa but the point is it was spread very rapidly through homosexuals by their having many many partners in the bath houses of California. I don't say that all homosexuals have many partners but a large percentage do. It is my opinion and the opinions of the data that many homosexuals are extremely sexually active much more than normal straight people. The very anatomy of their sex also contributes to immune problems and many STD's including Aids. I have read that their lifespan is less than what straight people have. So look at the scientific data and get a wake up call. Or should we sweep this under the rug and look the other way. It is a real problem and it will affect us all.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n e witchway View Post
Homosexuality is just like heterosexuality; it is a person's sexual orientation, his or her preference. It is no one else's business.
I'm a straight male in my sixties. I've seen homosexuals mistreated, heard overt threats made at them, and I've defended them. But I didn't, always, because I wasn't sophisticated enough to provide proper evaluation to the matter and listened too much to others. The vast majority of those "others" were "good Christians" who have an appreciation only for people just like themselves. All the others are freaks, criminals, weirdos, and deviants.
One of my distinct advantages in social interaction is my atheism. It helps me to do my own evaluation of just what makes some people so vitriolic. And most of the time, I'm led to the conclusion that their Christianity gives them some form of superiority to apply to social status. Ergo, if you're not like them, you're not as good as they are and they are free to criticize you for whatever aberration, real or imagined, they have tagged you with. And, if you ask me, it's only going to get worse as the religious right gains strength.

The human animal has a single natural drive that governs all of its behavior. This drive is the drive to achieve social status. Since all status is relative, sometimes discrediting others is a more efficient and less risky method by which to achieve this end than either self-promotion or self-improvement. The individual being unaware of this drive is what makes it so dangerous for the rest of us and tragic for the individual who lives as a virtual slave never knowing that he or she has another option. That option is active awareness of this joy robbing mental subroutine that, if left unchecked, seizes our days and crushes our spirits.

The truth is that gays and Christians are odd bedfellows (no pun intended) in this controversy because they have both elected to join groups that are hated the world over. For Christians the pain of being rejected, overtly mocked, excluded and dismissed as being superstitious, uneducated, unintelligent and anti-intellectual is mitigated by the joy and freedom of finding independence from this subconscious taskmaster previously mentioned. Sometimes the joy and confidence expressed in these folks is misinterpreted as arrogance by those unaware of the treasures found in personal humility and a relationship with the Creator of the Universe. Additionally, the desire Christians have to obey Christ regardless of other's opinions or the consequences involved is another point of contention with non-believers who might become frustrated with people they cannot sway. I would expect this is even more frustrating for a self-avowed atheist like yourself.

As far as your "distinct advantages in social interaction" goes, find out why Christians believe the things they do. Set aside the sweeping generalizations about other groups because it just proves that you are a slave to the previously mentioned drive, but you're smart enough to know that.

It has been my experience that God forces himself on no one. IMHO he will reveal his presence to those who are willing to receive him. If you are familiar with the Bible and are willing to see, the signs of the times are everywhere. Speculation about Obama being the anti-Christ became even more the subject of conversation when the IL three digit was 666 the day after the election and the next day the AZ three digit was 777, the significance of which a Bible reader would know. So many incidents of that nature are occurring presently. To me they have significance as a wake-up call. You may not feel the same way since man understands with his mind but believes with his heart.

Since you would have an advantage in dealing with believers, check out "The False Prophet" at the link provided. I don't agree with everything he says, but his work with historical events as they relate to Bible prophesy is very telling.

Bible Prophecy - Ellis Skolfield

Old 11-24-2008, 01:04 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,714,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

So, do you think gays should be able to adopt children? I'm not clear on your position.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Does free speech include inciting violence against gays? (Fire! in a theater?)

If churches try to affect laws and politics shouldn't they lose their non-profit charters and pay taxes?
My understanding is that any non-profit organization can support issues but not parties or candidates. As far as going after a religious organization's tax exempt status, you could try to do that, but I couldn't imagine where the support would come from outside the GLTG and atheist communities. Politicians wouldn't go within a mile of that political Kryptonite.

Were the two sentences unrelated? Because I don't know of any churches that advocate violence against any group. It may make a good sound bite on CD, but when it comes time to provide some sort of proof to go along with your accusations, however vague, you may be wanting.

Christians Attacked by Gays in Castro District, San Francisco

Anger Over Prop. 8 Erupts In San Francisco - News Story - KTVU San Francisco

Gay Activist Attacks Christian Woman, Christine Cloud Speaks Out : Stop The ACLU

Unholy Invasion - FOXNews.com

Last edited by momonkey; 11-24-2008 at 02:53 AM..

Old 11-24-2008, 03:14 AM

"telling you how you can live"

This is far to general to be useful. People tell us how we can live all the time. These restrictions on our behavior are the rules and norms of society. If a law doesn't exist that provides the means for what you want to do, like same-sex marriage, change the law if you're able. I know pot smokers who may very well believe that the have a right to smoke weed, but the laws of the land prohibit it. We also force motorcycle riders to wear helmets and folks in cars to wear seat belts whether they want to or not. Gay marriage is no different. If a gay couple wants to live together, they may do so. If they want to adopt children, they may do so, or they may have their own biological children through alternative means. They may purchase property, joint the PTA and complain about the neighbor's dog. They can have all these things but not the title of married couple. They cannot force their lifestyles and personal issues down our throats against our will. A married couple is a heterosexual relationship between one man and one woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.