Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:19 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
More or less, yes that is what I mean. We don't understand enough to KNOW.
Agreed, all we can do is follow the evidence while we keep changing the hypothesis to fit the data. Problem is as I have been linking, this has not been the behavior of some of the researchers. Many do approach this scientifically (if you get past the media and propaganda sites), though these people are not in the spotlight and their approach is less desirable to the public than those that are. That is, those who are in the spotlight are willing to act unscientifically (placing PR and politics above ethical science) in order to satisfy the demands of absolute parties in the issue.

Quote:
Yes, again, I am still on the same page, just a different corner. It's like being an agnostic, I am not going to buy into it, but I am surely not going to rule it out.
Certainly we shouldn't disregard any evidence that suggests it, but we also should not hold on to the position when the evidence does not suggest it. The problem is, some refuse to follow the science while insisting on following the position. It results in many unethical practices such as ignoring discrepancies and deviations within the research in order to cling to a particular position. It leads to self serving data and fallacious conclusions.

Keep in mind that some of the leading scientist supporting this theory have a very heavy investment in its position. James Hansen for instance has been pushing the AGW theory for more than 20 years now. This has been a direct project of his from even before he received his credentials. I am not saying that is conclusive evidence of wrong doing, but that combined with the fact that he has been found extremely questionable in his research methods, data archiving, collection and analysis, as well as conflicting interest in policy and administration of the science and you can start to see a suggestion of self served research creeping in.

We should only look at the data though and in the case of these researchers who are heavily invested, they are also showing to be very weak in their claims when that research is scrutinized. To the point that they are hostile to colleagues that question them.

The honest research is not supporting the AGW position very well. That doesn't mean we should throw out the possible relation to it as it may (or may not) play a part somewhere, but we certainly can not use it to make any conclusions, much less solutions to the inconclusiveness of the research.

Quote:
I see this as a problem because both sides of the political spectrum want answers, getting politics involved in something like this will muck up the finest science.

I don't think that I know more than scientists when it comes to this, but can we really count on politics to give us honest conclusions?
Politics can answer nothing. Politics is nothing more than a bureaucratic staging to force people to stop and take interest into a topic. Past that, they provide nothing of any usable result.

The problem is, and people I think should take this into consideration when looking at things (to a point, not a conclusive premise though), but those who have pushed the AGW position in the field of science were the ones who stepped outside of the bounds of normal scientific process and brought politics into it. That is, they were the ones that ran to the governments and political organizations in order to obtain support for their position.

Politics do not measure by facts. A person doesn't win a debate in politics by being right, but by making the other "appear" wrong. Since the introduction of politics into this field (and to be honest, it has been in it for a very long time if you followed the global cooling claims in the 70's) the position has been exactly that, make the other side "appear" wrong.

Personally, the only reason I even started following this topic is because of most of the "political issues" out there, this one can be quantified the most. That is, I can if I am so inclined, look up the research and read the details myself. I don't have to rely on news papers, word of mouth or even vague summaries of proclaimed conclusions by administrations such as the IPCC (it really is a vague summary and not really a conclusive research paper in many areas).

For instance, with the AR4, I can look up authors of the research within the report and see exactly what they found by going to the research they submitted (not the summary in the IPCC report) and reading it myself (if it is made public as it should be) I can see if the "summary" of the IPCC on that researchers work matches the analysis they made in their actual research.

To be honest, that is really a big part of the issue here (among many others). That is, the administrative summaries are not matching the researchers results consistently. Which is dubious at best for a scientific organization, but business as usual for a political one.

Top it all off though and we have a public that is so confused on the issue that they are easily mislead, which is a direct goal for politics. Confuse people, tell them you have the answers and since they are so confused, they out of lack of interest or frustration will simply agree and go along with things. So, you get bogus science being used for propaganda to influence policy to the people who if they knew the facts of the issue, would tell them to stick their policy proposals where the sun doesn't shine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 07:09 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,764 times
Funny, Data gets released that was being refused for ages and then when it is examined, well... it is found lacking.

This is an interesting read for those of you who have been following the problems in this area. Basically, those core studies to which everyone points to concerning AGW, well... they are begining to fall apart and the authors are looking like... well as McIntyre suggests, clowns.

Climate Audit - by Steve McIntyre » Caspar Ammann, Texas Sharpshooter

He did point out one problem with this though. The fact that Ammann is shown to be foolish in his research will only make it harder to get data releases from others.

This is a quote from Steve down the thread a bit concerning this.

Quote:
There are a few lessons here. With the data and code in hand, what did it take to figure this out? A couple of days?

I put my code out there so that people could refute the results if they deserved refuting. And in fairness to Ammann, while it took 3 years for him to put this data and code online, and while he prudently waited until AR34 was safely out of the way, he did put the data and code online, so that I’m in a position to make definitive statements about this without getting into Mannian arguments about whether we made a wrong turn on the road to Podunk, when the map was wrong in the first place.

If people want to improve actual knowledge and actually resolve things in a definitive way, this is the way to go. So good for Ammann in finally complying. Although, since he raised money from NOAA for the PR Challenge promising open source, he was in a bit of an awkward spot in continuing to withhold his SI.

The problem with what appears to be a total evisceration of poor Caspar is that this is going to provide very little encouragement to Briffa or Esper or someone like that to show what they did. Their conclusion is not that this exercise is an excellent example of open source at work, but that Ammann was a damn fool for ever showing his data and methods.
For those of you who are major supporters of AGW, you might want to pick some better scientists to back as many of your current ones are needing a bit of help here. Hmm... Not a bit, I would say they need a LOT. *chuckle*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies