Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 12:53 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians are members of the "revealed religions" and protected by Shari'a Law. In fact, there are Jews and Zoroastrians in the Iranian Parliament.

The only two cases in modern history of mass conversions to Islam are in Bosnia and Albania. There is no evidence that the conversions were forced. They were purely voluntary.

Even prior to modern times, there are no cases of forced mass conversion to Islam.

That is not true of Christianity, where for several centuries mass conversions were forced under threat of death.
The conversions to Islam were purely voluntary! R-I-G-H-T! And I'm heir to the Sultan of Brunei's fortune!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 12:58 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
it does not say anything about killing or forcing conversion, it simply states that he who does not love himself, his wife, his mother and his father cannot love the Lord
That is not what it says. Get yourself a 9th Grade grammar book and parse the sentence.

In order to be a disciple of Jesus, you must hate your father, mother, wife, children, brothers and sisters.

Luke 14:26

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Anyone who doesn't convert to Christianity gets killed, so I don't see why people would whine about Islam.

Quote:
Acts 3:23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:05 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
Quote:
Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians are members of the "revealed religions" and protected by Shari'a Law. ...
... Through dhimmitude.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:05 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
The conversions to Islam were purely voluntary! R-I-G-H-T! And I'm heir to the Sultan of Brunei's fortune!
Am sa rid. Te gandesti ca stii toti despre oamnei si istoria Balkan, nu? Nu stii nimic.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:25 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
How many of you actually read the article? To the people who are boycotting Tyson as a result of this, did you not read the several paragraphs where it said the switch of the holidays came from the UNION, not from Tyson management? To the people who complained about Tyson forcing Muslim holidays on non-Muslim employees, Tyson didn't force anything on anyone, they accommodated the UNION. Non-union employees still get Labor Day off. Yes, it was right there in the article, non-union employees will still get Labor Day off. This was a Union decision, made because the majority of the plant is Somali Muslims. If some union members are unhappy with what their union did, they can quit the union, and enjoy their Labor Day off. And in the real world, there will probably be union members who will want Labor Day off and manage to get it.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:33 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
Quote:
Am sa rid. Te gandesti ca stii toti despre oamnei si istoria Balkan, nu? Nu stii nimic.
He knows just enough to be dangerous lol!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:00 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
As far as I know, only the union members can vote and if the majority are Muslim, there you go. I don't know what the union reps are. But how would Tyson be responsible? I thought these were legal citizens. If not, that's a whole different issue altogether. But if they are legal, if tyson didn't hire them because they were Muslim, that would be a discrimination lawsuit. They're caught between a rock and a hard place.

Not the majority by a longshot. Only 250 of the plant's 1,200 employees are Muslim, (according to the press release). Yet 80% of the plants' rank-and-file voted to accept the union contract that included the new holiday.

http://www.tyson.com/Corporate/Press...e.aspx?id=3012

So it wasn't a case of "Muslim majority rules."

Old 08-05-2008, 02:02 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Not the majority by a longshot. Only 250 of the plant's 1,200 employees are Muslim, (according to the press release). Yet 80% of the plants' rank-and-file voted to accept the union contract that included the new holiday.

So it wasn't a case of "Muslim majority rules."
The article states that 700 of the 1200 employees are Muslim.

Quote:
Union leaders said implementing the holiday was important for the nearly 700 Muslims, many of them Somalis, who work at the plant that employs a total of 1,200 people.
Only the union members get the holiday in lieu of Labor Day, and the union voted in favor of the proposal. Union majority rules.

Quote:
The decision will only apply to workers at the plant who are union members. All other employees at the plant will still have their normal Labor Day holiday.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:06 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The article states that 700 of the 1200 employees are Muslim.

The article was wrong. The union issued its own press release with incorrect numbers, according to Tyson's Director of Media Relations. The plant itself has the correct numbers: approximately 250. Check the press release from Tyson.

http://www.tyson.com/Corporate/Press...e.aspx?id=3012

Old 08-05-2008, 02:10 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware that companies are taking on religious affiliations now? So what religion does Tyson Corp officially practice?
It would appear Islam, unofficially?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies