Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 02:23 AM

5 posts, read 35,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I understand that most Hispanics have White racial identities. If you want Hispanics to be understood as being plain White then you should start by asking the gov't to get rid of a separate Hispanic demographic group. It was created back in the 70s mostly for AA purposes. Nowadays most people outside of the Deep South don't even care what someone's chromatic flavor is.

coming from Mississippi-
As far as hispanics are concerned, if you claim white, cool, if not, that's fine too. But realize if we get into the topic of removing hispanics as a demographic, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a movement in response that removes all the student grants and whatnot that are specifically directed at and only available to hispanics.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 AM

175 posts, read 287,095 times
Hispanics are NOT white.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:18 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,879,472 times
Um, whatever 'white' means, of course Spaniards would be included in that category - they're European. I've never personally heard any American suggest otherwise - unless you're talking about an American who lives in some area (Miami, Harlem?? honestly, this phenomenon was basically new to me before I started using C-D, though I had of course heard of 'Spanish Harlem') where 'Spanish' simply means 'Hispanic' (speaker of Spanish - yes, technically a linguistic rather than a racial term, somewhat bizarrely). Maybe there's a movement that involves non-white Hispanics (Mestizos) calling themselves 'Spanish,' or maybe it's been going on for a long time in certain cultural/national groups? I dunno.. But I honestly don't think the "Mediterranean" argument that someone brought up has a *lot* to do with this.. . While generally speaking, of course, there are going to be *more* dark-haired people in southern European/Mediterranean countries like Spain, Italy, even France, I've never really heard anyone *seriously* suggest that 'natives' of those nations weren't white (heck, if you don't believe me, check out some of the international white supremacy web sites, which have members from the US, Spain, etc. who accept one another as 'white brothers' or some such tripe). As far as Antonio Banderas, etc. - I suppose that because he speaks Spanish and has a tan, a lot of people who aren't terribly interested and thus don't know specifically where he's from assume he's from Latin America and possibly has at least a bit of Native American (specifically from present-day Mexico or farther south) ancestry - after all, most of the Spanish-speaking people with whom Americans would come into contact would have such an ethnic profile, after all. But no - I don't think anywhere near the majority of Americans believe that Spaniards aren't white. That's just silly. Are you basing this assumption on actual statistical data, or just some anecdotal stuff you've seen on C-D (or elsewhere online)?

Old 11-05-2010, 10:27 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
As long as the government keeps on asking all Americans what race/color you are this ethnic crap will continue.

Hmmm I am fourth generation German, does that make me a white German-American -or- just another American? I prefer the latter.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:30 AM

758 posts, read 1,960,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth Asher View Post
Hispanics are NOT white.
So a blond Hispanic with roots in Germany isn't white?

You realize that there are millions of blond Hispanics in places like Argentina, Chile, Brazil, etc.

Heck, even Mexico is mostly white among the upper classes. Most rich Mexicans have original roots in Italy, Spain and Germany. Go to a rich neighborhood in Mexico City and see all the blond hair and blue eyes.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,621,746 times
Ugh, keep beating a dead horse people.

Spanish (as in FROM Spain, not just spanish speakers) are mostly white. Though culturally they are Hispanic.

People from Latin America, are Hispanic. Since culturally much of Latin America was shaped by the Spanish. They can also be classified as Latinos, since they are geographically from Latin America. Though you could possibly consider Italians, French, etc. as Latinos or Latin, in it's modern context it is not used in that way. This also means many people in Latin America fall racially into the white, indigenous, and black categories. Latin Americans mostly would fall somewhere in between the white and indigenous box (75% or something like that I believe) There are some pockets where one racial group is more prevalent than others such as black in the Dominican Republic and white in Argentina, they all still fall under the Hispanic and Latino cultural umbrella.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:20 PM

423 posts, read 823,772 times
A lot of people here in America have a very twisted understanding of race/ethnicity. To many of them a person is White if and only if he/she was born in US. All the foreigners (regardless of their complexion) are falling into non-White category.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:42 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,916 times
If they don't look white and are poor at English . . .

Old 11-06-2010, 04:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,880 times
spanish are mixed with morocan, but some consider morocans to be white. if you look at many spanish, they look arab.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:02 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,621,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth Asher View Post
Hispanics are NOT white.
Really? And why not? White is a racial category. Hispanic is a cultural. So it is possible to be both.

Just like you can be a black French-Canadian. Asian-Jew. And a white South African.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies