Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 12:34 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
BadFish, I grew up aroudn the liberal elite since I was 7 in Potomac, MD and people constantly treated me, my family, and friends like we're beneath them because we were not as rich. My folks were actually working people unlike the rich people in my high school. Rural New Jersey is Red America, anything outside the major urban areas of the Northeast and California are Red America.

I grew up around the elitism of the East Coast upper class so I have a right to resent these people. I don't care if I'm prejudcied against rich yuppies...its better than being prejudiced against blacks or Jews. I personally am okay with prejudice and discrimination as long as its not based on race, gender, age, or sexual orientation. I have the right to be prejudiced against rich people and yuppies and latte sipping douchebags. I have a right to be prejudiced agaisnt Yankees and its perfectly legal.

I've met people who say "Jewish people" isntead of "rich people" but not all of those rich snobs were Jewish and I've met many nice non-rich Jews. I've also met many uppity sellout, soulless yuppies of all races and religions including my own. I don't know why other posters are bringing "racism" into this.

Once when some friends and I were out for dinner we told a guy he left his headlights on. We also imagined how we would not have told him if it was a Mercedes and looked on a joke when the batteries ran out and the sellout stiff helps stimualte the economy when he gets a new battery.
TOMMY BOY!!! You finally woke up! Good to hear from ya? Now try responding to the rest of my posts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 06:34 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
I find it funny to call someone and "elitist" in the same breath as claiming you are the "real" america.

Guess what- We are ALL the "real" America. We need the cities and the rural areas and everything in between. People in cities aren't better than people in towns and vice-versa. This divisive way of thinking does no good, only harm.

Yeah, but you don't know what the other part of real America is thinking because the national news media never bothers to find out and tell you (liberal and conservative media) and then everybody in NYC and especially DC is shocked, shocked, I tell you, when, for example, someone like Palin comes along and is popular with people not like them, when people are up in arms over an illegal immigration bill perceived to grant amnesty or when people mass contact their Congressmen over a porky bailout bill that we have to pay.

It's like Katie Couric insinuating there is no relevant reading material in Alaska.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:36 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Hating NASCAR is a sign that it's become the 4 wheel equivalent of WWF and racing is no longer its real product.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:02 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Country Music: It's okay, but I won't go out of my way to listen to it.
Nascar: Nope..Give me a real sport...something involving a ball perhaps.
I don't care for cities myself, (personal preference) but I'm wise enough to know that the country folks aren't the only good people. And to imply that they are "real" americans is divisive and untrue.

Sure, a lot of east coast people are snobs, but my midwestern city has a good share too. But there are also rural snobs: Those who think they're better than everyone else because they run a farm instead of a bank. These guys are no different from latte sipping yuppies from Manhattan, in my view. They just drive a tractor.

There are good and bad people everywhere. The same goes for snobby folks.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:12 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
The Daily Bruin - Hating country music is elitist, misguided

I came across this newspaper which was in UCLA's student newspaper. A lot of what the author writes makes sense especially with the elitism in the urban areas of the NOrtheast and West Coast. I've noticed some of this here in the DC area and its a lot worse in NY, Boston, and California. Where I live, the "country" or "Red state" lifestyle is considered anti-establishment which is why I blast country music from my car at full volume (only when I drive through a yuppie neighborhood) and walk around in a John Deere hat and why I'm thinking about getting a Confederate flag.

ONce this rich snobby stiff told me to turn it down, I gave him the bird and told him to f___ himself. I was at a gas station in a snotty area the other week and took satisfaction in that some snotty "***" girls rolled up their windows when I blasted Kellie PIckler and Taylor Swift. And I only do this is in this kind of community because I don't resent working class folks or African Americans (these are ordinary people, the heart and soul of the real America). Just because Obama is black doesn't mean he's in touch with the working class. He is an elitist, pandering politician who uses division and fear and arrogance to get votes. And yes, his elitist remarks about small town USA panders to voters in California, New Jersey, New England, New York, Seattle and Portland.

Is the urban coastal liberal elite out of touch with the real America? And is Barack OBama part of the coastal liberal elite or does he represent the real America like he likes us to believe he does?
Why is the rejection of music and a sport that have been preferred by a segment of this country that is racially prejudiced, considered "elitist"? I view it as an attempt to keep this country on a high level, a place of substance, integrity, high achievement, not a place overrun and bottom heavy with the Dukes of Hazzard. My God, get serious. Nothing wrong with rejecting activities that are shared by yahoos, people who thought Bush deserved a second term, and people who share the same interests as those of the Klan.

This country has had enough of the village idiot from Crawford, Texas, his backwoods ways, and the culture that promotes such incompetence and divisiveness. We're trying to become a more developed country, not a place overrun with Neanderthals, yahoos, and cowboys.

Barack Obama represents a return to high standards.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:17 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Making 1,000 left turns in a race is a sport?

Old 10-05-2008, 05:38 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Interesting article. I never thought about it but I guess perhaps there is a misguided notion that if you like country music, you are considered "white trash", less educated, hick, what have you. I never thought of it in those terms, however. Until the age of 28 (I'm 30 now), I absolutely hated country music. I hated that twang, the awful instruments, all of it. Then it hit me one day while my husband and I were driving to the gym that I actually love country music!

My husband, born and raised country, would sneak in a country song here and there and just to keep the peace, I let him play it without any complaints. I think subconsciously during our 4 years of marriage (and 5 years of dating before that), I just started to slowly grow a taste for it. Unbeknownst to me, soon "putting up with his country music" became "oooh, what's he gonna play this time?!" Now, I can't live without it. I'm a citygirl and I'm Asian so I'd be the last person you think would like country but I do. I love it and would pay good money to see Garth Brooks in concert if he ever performed again!

I can't say anything about NASCAR b'c I've never been to a race but hubby loves it. He's also mentioned the same thing that other posters have said that one of the best parts about the races is seeing the people that go there. It doesn't get any more blue-collar America than that. I still refuse to go as I will stick out like a sore thumb but maybe one day.

For those who do not care for country music, give it a try. Read the lyrics, try to understand it. There's a song called "The Cowboy Song" by Garth Brooks and even though I knew nothing about wrangling or herding cows, when my husband explained to me what the lyrics meant, I was moved to tears. It's a beautiful song.

Last edited by foma; 10-05-2008 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-05-2008, 05:44 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Why is the rejection of music and a sport that have been preferred by a segment of this country that is racially prejudiced, considered "elitist"? I view it as an attempt to keep this country on a high level, a place of substance, integrity, high achievement, not a place overrun and bottom heavy with the Dukes of Hazzard. My God, get serious. Nothing wrong with rejecting activities that are shared by yahoos, people who thought Bush deserved a second term, and people who share the same interests as those of the Klan.

This country has had enough of the village idiot from Crawford, Texas, his backwoods ways, and the culture that promotes such incompetence and divisiveness. We're trying to become a more developed country, not a place overrun with Neanderthals, yahoos, and cowboys.

Barack Obama represents a return to high standards.
if by high standards you mean a man who:
1) represented ACORN, whose members have been convicted of a 1 million dollar embezzlement, as well as voter fraud in at least 15 states
2) was gifted property from the recently indicted tony rezko, which was either a "bone-headed mistake" or a criminal act depending on how you see it
3) who associated with a man who tried to bomb soldiers at fort dix and said that he would do it again if the opportunity had presented itself
4) who had a wife whose board salary immediately doubled when barack was elected to the senate.
5) who as a senator has asked for over 932 million dollars in pork spending, which amounted to 1 million dollars a day in pork at the time of the assessment
6) who voted for a bailout of corporate america after meeting with warren buffet, who just happened to be bailing out goldman sachs, former company of treasury secretary paulson
7) has as the godfather to his children a man who said that white america created AIDS
then you are right about high standards.
if you want to make sure that the white house is not going to be tainted by corruption, don't elect a president who grew up in the chicago political system and whose wife thinks that the country owes her some palliative to eliminate her sense of personal shame. Because unlike the stock market, when it comes to human behavior, past performance really is indicative of future results.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:53 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Wow! You need to get out of the house more and find out what is actually important to the future of this country.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:06 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
The Daily Bruin - Hating country music is elitist, misguided

I came across this newspaper which was in UCLA's student newspaper. A lot of what the author writes makes sense especially with the elitism in the urban areas of the NOrtheast and West Coast. I've noticed some of this here in the DC area and its a lot worse in NY, Boston, and California. Where I live, the "country" or "Red state" lifestyle is considered anti-establishment which is why I blast country music from my car at full volume (only when I drive through a yuppie neighborhood) and walk around in a John Deere hat and why I'm thinking about getting a Confederate flag.

ONce this rich snobby stiff told me to turn it down, I gave him the bird and told him to f___ himself. I was at a gas station in a snotty area the other week and took satisfaction in that some snotty "***" girls rolled up their windows when I blasted Kellie PIckler and Taylor Swift. And I only do this is in this kind of community because I don't resent working class folks or African Americans (these are ordinary people, the heart and soul of the real America). Just because Obama is black doesn't mean he's in touch with the working class. He is an elitist, pandering politician who uses division and fear and arrogance to get votes. And yes, his elitist remarks about small town USA panders to voters in California, New Jersey, New England, New York, Seattle and Portland.

Is the urban coastal liberal elite out of touch with the real America? And is Barack OBama part of the coastal liberal elite or does he represent the real America like he likes us to believe he does?
My in-laws are working class people from South Carolina. They listen to country music, but they would rather watch paint dry than watch NASCAR. Now, these two fine souls would be appalled at your bad manners. My mother in law, a fine Christian woman, would roll her eyes at your behavior, but she would not say anything bad about you because she's a lady. My father in law however, would not waste a milli second in categorizing your behavior as that of "white trash". And, yes they're both white.

If you consider that having good manners, being considerate and not walking around with a chip on your shoulders is being an elitist, go right ahead.

If you don't like Obama, then don't vote for him. I seriously doubt however that your post is going to win any votes for his opponent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies