Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:55 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,236,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellyg View Post
Whatever Happened to Etiquette? ... there are even non-native-English-speaking people trying to write and speak proper English.
Where are these people learning english from?
Ettiquette? Oh, Heavens! That's a topic for another thread as manners nowadays have totally gone by the wayside (in most cases).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 09:33 AM

178 posts, read 417,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Green View Post
Reading these posts made me think about how funny this whole thing is. All this black bashing throughout these threads is a trip. The sad thing is that some of these people are professionals, educators, and etc. These people pretend to be so concerned about how certain groups talk, dress, and so forth, but come off so r**ist. I don't understand what's wrong with how these kids talk, dress, and ....
White kids wear baggy wide leg jeans, is there something wrong with that? These jeans have holes in them, they are falling apart on the bottoms, it looks sloppy. What's the difference?
Throughout all these threads it seems these posters have a tip on their shoulder. Alot of negative attention focused on African Americans on these threads. Too much attention IMO.
You are so right. White kids have the same problems as black kids.........That is why it is high time to drop the racial favors........Black Miss America, Black Caucus, Black whatever, and the Hispanic this, and the Hispanic that.

The schools and collages have done a very good job of teaching the white kids to dislike themselves, because of their disgusting whiteness. This white bashing, has just gone too far. I have kids, I know what is being taught in these schools and collages.

Back to the white kids and their problems. I swear, there is nothing that freaks me out more than a white kid with white face paint and black painted lips and fingernails. They draw on stitches across their cheeks, put metal rods in their bodies. They need as much help as any Black or Hispanic kid..........

Why can't we just be Americans? Why can't we stop being so divided. Why can't we ALL get OUR OWN back yards in order without asking for "special" favors?

I look around and I see our children, and our own country in deep trouble. Why can't we get our OWN country, and our OWN children under control, before we allow millions of illegal aliens, with all of THEIR problems to come into our country and cause more chaos where chaos already exists?

If we don't gain some sort of control over our children, and our country, I would say we have seen the best of America, and I dread what the future holds.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:18 PM

702 posts, read 2,528,452 times
The reason we have such programs that favor minorities is because of racist attitudes such as yours. As long as there are people out there with views like yours, we will definitely have Affirmative Action. You don't sound much like someone who would hire and promote based on qualifications...so we need it in place to make sure a certain percentage of minorities get their chance in addition to everyone else. It looks like AA and others like it will be around for at least a couple of generations more...maybe by then the old racism will be a thing of the past.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:26 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,677,688 times
Ok let's sum this thread up to one common element. This can apply to every race color and creed. We seem to think everyone who wants to be equal needs to live up to the expectation of the "mainstream". Mainstream is the norm or medium. If you want a job that pays the rent, you need to look speak and act mainstream. If you enjoy being different from the norm, it's best to have some well-paying talent so you can support yourself. It's like the kid with body modifactions, ie tattoos and metal studs who wonders why nobody will hire him. He has gone out of his way to create his own limitations. It is much easier to find a job if you assimilate. If you want to march to the beat of your own drum, use your imagination and create a job that will support you. And that my friend, is easier said than done.

I own a profitable adult chat line. I never see the people who work for me. My contractors work from home. I couldn't care less about their looks, style of dress, amount of tattoos, color, race or creed. I do however, require an applicant to have a clear speaking voice and and ability to be detail oriented.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:13 PM

178 posts, read 417,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
The reason we have such programs that favor minorities is because of racist attitudes such as yours. As long as there are people out there with views like yours, we will definitely have Affirmative Action. You don't sound much like someone who would hire and promote based on qualifications...so we need it in place to make sure a certain percentage of minorities get their chance in addition to everyone else. It looks like AA and others like it will be around for at least a couple of generations more...maybe by then the old racism will be a thing of the past.
sprtsluvr8,
You don't want any improvement between the races. You are the kind of person who wallows in racism. You love it. I just hope you keep your racist feelings hidden from your students. We have enough trouble these days.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:49 PM

702 posts, read 2,528,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryPie View Post
sprtsluvr8,
You don't want any improvement between the races. You are the kind of person who wallows in racism. You love it. I just hope you keep your racist feelings hidden from your students. We have enough trouble these days.

My students are well aware that I don't show favortism toward anyone based on skin color. It's pretty easy to tell when someone is racist, and it's easy to tell that I don't think my race is superior to any other. I have seen a lot of improvement in race relations in my lifetime, but racism is still around. It is more hidden than it used to be and that makes it even worse. Like I said, in a couple of generations it should be much less prevalent.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
My students are well aware that I don't show favortism toward anyone based on skin color. It's pretty easy to tell when someone is racist, and it's easy to tell that I don't think my race is superior to any other. I have seen a lot of improvement in race relations in my lifetime, but racism is still around. It is more hidden than it used to be and that makes it even worse. Like I said, in a couple of generations it should be much less prevalent.

I'd like to get your take on people being PC. Does political correctness make racial problems better or worse?

Old 02-03-2007, 06:59 PM

79 posts, read 212,239 times
I just don't understand what the big deal is? Some of the poster's have stressed the importance of many of these kid's social skills. For example, I am a senior in college, and plan to graduate next fall. I can speak the king's English, Ebonics, Portuguese, and a bit of Spanish. Now I know for the most part that most of the kids we are talking about can speak proper English in the right setting and to me that's all that matters.
As far as how these kid's dress, as long as you are not at work, on an interview, and/or something important enough to dress professionally, what's the point?
Alot of the posters have mentioned assimilation. Assimilate into what? There are many different types of subcultures and all are not related to ethnicity. Me personally, I would not want to live in a place where everybody acts the same and would not criticize those who do not share the same culture or views as I do. That's some Stepford S***. I think some of us need to keep an open mind.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint Green View Post
I just don't understand what the big deal is? Some of the poster's have stressed the importance of many of these kid's social skills. For example, I am a senior in college, and plan to graduate next fall. I can speak the king's English, Ebonics, Portuguese, and a bit of Spanish. Now I know for the most part that most of the kids we are talking about can speak proper English in the right setting and to me that's all that matters.
As far as how these kid's dress, as long as you are not at work, on an interview, and/or something important enough to dress professionally, what's the point?
Alot of the posters have mentioned assimilation. Assimilate into what? There are many different types of subcultures and all are not related to ethnicity. Me personally, I would not want to live in a place where everybody acts the same and would not criticize those who do not share the same culture or views as I do. That's some Stepford S***. I think some of us need to keep an open mind.
Have you ever read the poem by Booker T Washington, "The American Standard"? In honor of Black History Month, read it.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:01 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,236,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I own a profitable adult chat line. I never see the people who work for me. My contractors work from home. I couldn't care less about their looks, style of dress, amount of tattoos, color, race or creed. I do however, require an applicant to have a clear speaking voice and and ability to be detail oriented.
I hope another requirement of yours is that they should also be able to speak intelligently and properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies