Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:15 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,978,916 times

Advertisements

I think people should cheer for whoever they want. I just think that jingoistic nationalism is a crock. People who live in other countries are human beings too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 09:11 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,572,644 times
If it's OK to favor another country in everyday life, why should it be wrong to cheer for another country in the Olympics? The US is supposed to be a 'grownup' country. We don't need such sappy childish displays as patriotism, chest-pounding, drum-beating, and misplaced loyalties...OR team spirit. We require no loyalty anyway, and we're free to love America or hate it...as we see fit.

By all means, cheer for whoever you want to win. We're just Americans...we'll understand. We even feel 'creepy' cheering for our own side during a WAR, for heaven's sake. Seen in that context, the Olympics is truly 'small potatoes' indeed.

We're not supposed to have 'feelings'....therefore it's pretty hard to see how anyone could 'hurt our feelings'. Cheer for whoever you want...preferably for the nation with the strongest sense of unity, or the worst human rights record...THAT will show your cosmopolitanism, if nothing else. It's just a game, after all.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,685,627 times
If you cheer for another country, the terrorists win.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:41 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,978,916 times
I don't really even follow the Olympics much, so I don't really care that much anyways.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:51 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,255,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
I don't really even follow the Olympics much, so I don't really care that much anyways.
Pretty much my sentiment too, except I don't follow the Olympics at all.

I'd rather root for the Indians or Phillies.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:56 AM

10,260 posts, read 15,971,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
If it's OK to favor another country in everyday life, why should it be wrong to cheer for another country in the Olympics? The US is supposed to be a 'grownup' country. We don't need such sappy childish displays as patriotism, chest-pounding, drum-beating, and misplaced loyalties...OR team spirit. We require no loyalty anyway, and we're free to love America or hate it...as we see fit.

By all means, cheer for whoever you want to win. We're just Americans...we'll understand. We even feel 'creepy' cheering for our own side during a WAR, for heaven's sake. Seen in that context, the Olympics is truly 'small potatoes' indeed.

We're not supposed to have 'feelings'....therefore it's pretty hard to see how anyone could 'hurt our feelings'. Cheer for whoever you want...preferably for the nation with the strongest sense of unity, or the worst human rights record...THAT will show your cosmopolitanism, if nothing else. It's just a game, after all.
I woudl say that an immigrant who cheers for his home country in the Olympics will support that country over the U.S. if there were to be a war. The lack of national loyalty is what led to things like the London bombings, carried about by British-born children of Muslim immigrants. Also there are certain ethnic voting blocs in the U.S. that vote in the interests of their countries or their parents countries of origin hence the common support and sympathy for illegal immigrants in the Democratic Party.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,584,933 times
[quote=Tom Lennox 70;4828634] The lack of national loyalty is what led to things like the London bombings, carried about by British-born children of Muslim immigrants. quote]
You do understand it was religious radicals that carried out this event, yes? It's my understanding that THAT is what led to the bombings, NOT lack of national loyalty. You're not understanding, people can support whomever they choose, this does not concern you.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:34 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,956,347 times
I have really been enjoying watching all of the Olympic games, I do want the Americans to do well, but more than that, I like to see a good competition in all of the events. If the Americans are performing well, that's great, seeing our team do well in the swimming competitions, men's basketball and beach volleyball is terrific, but also watching the Chinese gymnasts is just amazing. I also think that it's great when countries like Haiti or Zimbabwe or Montenegro do well because I love rooting for the underdog. In addition, seeing the Iraqis participating in the Olympics is a very positive sign, as Americans we should see this as a success and support their players as well.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:55 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,178,455 times
The Olympics are irrelevant... cheer for whoever you want or leave the TV off and do something else.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:45 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,874,470 times
I will ALWAYS cheer for Team USA first and foremost. And I will admit, I was hoping that the Japanese men would miss their releases on the high bar so Team USA could get the silver (I knew China would win gold). I also laughed my butt off when the French got their smack talking butts beat in the relay by the Americans!! I find it humorous b/c if you look at our teams, they are the most diverse. The men's gymnastic team has an Asian American, Russian American, and I'm guessing Raj has parents from a middle eastern country. We had a black man on our relay team. Many of these other countries have no diversity at all. Our men's basketball team is primarily black. BTW - Those are the only events I've really watched. But I will always say this. If you want to come to America to take advantage of our freedoms and everything that is available here, you need to support our country. Period. It's fine to appreciate your heritage and all that. But if you live here, you should be proud of where you live and stop moaning about where you came from. That's goes for speaking the language. I know I'm in the minority but that's just the way I feel and I don't think I'll ever change my mind on it. Go Team USA!

Last edited by austinsmom; 08-12-2008 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: adding something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies