Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:13 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Have you ever been audited? The IRS even chases small accounts. They pay really close attention to the big ones and have much more leverage against a corporation than against you or me.
But if that corporation is a campaign contributor it becomes but a footnote in the annuls of the IRS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 04:29 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
This gives great insight into the thinking of democrats.
Facts:
Companies are known to leave because of high overhead and head somewhere where it is lower.
Raising the taxes on a company or making them pay 100% without any of those "loop holes" effectively increases their overhead.
Companies won't build in the US without incentives.

Here is the kicker....Who do you work for?

Democrats would bite the hand that feeds them just to win a battle. You still have the war. Taxing big companies isn't the answer until you figure out a way for their overhead to stay the same right along with profits. You cahnge either one and you push jobs overseas faster than you "claim" JM has...

Old 08-12-2008, 04:42 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
Just one more reason to abolish the IRS and the income tax.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
This gives great insight into the thinking of democrats.
Facts:
Companies are known to leave because of high overhead and head somewhere where it is lower.
Raising the taxes on a company or making them pay 100% without any of those "loop holes" effectively increases their overhead.
Companies won't build in the US without incentives.

Here is the kicker....Who do you work for?

Democrats would bite the hand that feeds them just to win a battle. You still have the war. Taxing big companies isn't the answer until you figure out a way for their overhead to stay the same right along with profits. You cahnge either one and you push jobs overseas faster than you "claim" JM has...
Jon, you are right in that the trend of business and our government is presently to bring our standard of living as low is it is in third world nations. Their gain is our loss.

Some governments forbid or penalize companies when they up and leave, but ours does not.

We require international unions and international courts to address these problems in an equitable manner.

I do not like internationalism, but we are being put into that position.

But we are losing either way, so we may as well change things to the advantage of our labor force as much as we can.

Look at it this way, with the declining dollar, there are now businesses coming into the US because our labor is getting so cheap for them. On top of that, most of the big jobs that can be outsourced are, already.

I have not advocated taxing business further because I have no figures to look at to reach that conclusion. I do think, however, that we have to get them out of bed with the government and bring the government back, as much as possible, to represent the people of this nation.

We can start with only public financing of campaigns. Mandatory, in order to get a license to use the public airwaves, contribution of airtime to campaigns. No lobbying directly to a member of government, but perhaps only through advertising or online so the entire public can view what's being proposed.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:51 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
That is not right. Most of the problems we now face are directly attributable to the government bowing to business and the public be damned.

If we did not grant the energy industry in this country their every wish, we would not be in the mideast mess that we are now in.
We probably would not start wars for oil.
We would certainly be, by now. reaping the benefits of decades of alternate fuel research.
Our economy would not be witnessing raising prices due to fuel increases and the needless war.
Infrastructure, education, health care issues would be addressed due to the extra money freed up.
We would not be in this horror of bad weather due to global warming.
World pollution would certainly be decreased, since India and China would be using the alternate technologies.
Hospitals would not be closing due to all the free services they supply illegal immigrants.
The educational system would not be as strained because of the missing children of illegals.

Almost every major problem that is threatening this county
Most of the problems we have today in this country can be directly attributed and traced to increasing and overreaching government, on federal, state, and local levels, who confiscate our money before we even see it, then **** it away on social programs.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:53 PM

NC would have lost two large companies with close to 1 billion over 20 years brought to the economy and it's employed. We had to pay each one over a 100 million dollar incentive to do so....then they were fighting between counties for which would give more tax incentives....then it was to cities...finally it settled down with the smallest city that could afford them....NC wins. It brings up our lower income areas and raises standards of living in those same areas.

We didn't get it for free. We had to invest in them as they are making a much larger investment in us.

I hear the hoopla of jobs coming back but have only seen maybe two examples of mfg jobs coming back...but it wasn't for the falling dollar but the rising oil prices....that's stable

Last edited by BigJon3475; 08-12-2008 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: wrong numbers.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Most of the problems we have today in this country can be directly attributed and traced to increasing and overreaching government, on federal, state, and local levels, who confiscate our money before we even see it, then **** it away on social programs.
UHC....Civilian Army....Windfall Taxes...Wealth distribution...

Old 08-12-2008, 05:12 PM

No other time in US history has their been such a large divide between the average income of the middle class and that of the wealthy.
Companies go bankrupt, and are being dragged into the situation by top executives who are making tens of millions each year.
The only scenerio that approaches this is that preceding the great depression.

There are forces that are at play that would bring us to that end, again.

This mortgage crisis -
Right after the depression there were a group of laws passed to govern our financial industry to prevent that from happening again. They were called the Glass-Steagal Acts.
Businesses in the US asked the government to rescind one after another of the provisions of those acts, complaining that they could not compete internationally because of the restrictions. The acts restricted shaky business dealings, bad loans. The government accommodated business and caused this crisis that we are now in and which has been reflected in markets around the world.

So, business is fine, but we need regulation. We require a government that will act to keep the economy healthy and keep jobs at home. We do not need a government that caves to every wish of business, regardless of how it will hurt the people of our country.
We require a system that will link remuneration of top officers of a corporation to the success or lack of it, of the business he heads.
We need top managers to be responsible and accountable for their decisions.
There was a time when labor unions hurt the US auto business, but those times are long gone. The problem with the US auto industry is an old, entrenched management that can no longer think and be responsive to market needs.

Again, business and the inbreeding with the US government have caused many of the largest problems that we face today:

If we did not grant the energy industry in this country their every wish, we would not be in the mideast mess that we are now in.
We probably would not start wars for oil.
We would certainly be, by now. reaping the benefits of decades of alternate fuel research.
Our economy would not be witnessing raising prices due to fuel increases and the needless war.
Infrastructure, education, health care issues would be addressed due to the extra money freed up.
We would not be in this horror of bad weather due to global warming.
World pollution would certainly be decreased, since India and China would be using the alternate technologies.
Hospitals would not be closing due to all the free services they supply illegal immigrants.
The educational system would not be as strained because of the missing children of illegals.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:27 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
But I bet 99% of you all do.

My question is when is the herd finally going to wake up and realize that the problems we now face in the US are the direct result of corporate greed and government backed welfare initiatives that support the most wealthy in this country? Even the immigration problem can be set squarely at the feet of greedy corps that rather place the stability of our social services at risk than pay legal American citizens actual working wages.

So what is the answer people? What do we do?CQ Politics | Most Corporations Don’t Pay Income Taxes: GAO (http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=3&docID=news-000002937306 - broken link)
Let's get back to reality here: Corporate greed? Define it.

Capitalism is good. It is what has made us the richest and freest country in the world. Now if someone is going to start telling me how much I can charge for my services, then we are no longer free, and we no longer have a capitalist systym. Then we will begin to see decline, because entrpreneurs don't want to give their service/products away for what someone else determins is fair. The free market is what determines the true value of something. That is, demand.

I'm not interested in working cheap, nor am I interested in working for free. My work has value (I think I'm better than my competition — I know I'm better than my competition). Does that mean I'm greedy? Absolutely not! Value for value.

Some things cost a lot to produce. The producer should be allowed to make a profit. If there is high demand for his product, over his competitors, he can charge more. Is he greedy? No. Value for value.

The problem here is that most people leave some things out of the equation. Some people have a better product. Hence, they can charge much more than their competition. This is not greed. It is common sense. It is capitalism.

You don't have to buy my product. You can buy from the cheap guy if you want. Pay less, but it won't be as good, and you'll have to replace it sooner.

Someone said, "You pay once for quality".

Fact is, a lot of these entrepreneurs are small businesses, operating as LLC's, and they pay their taxes as personal income taxes (as an LLC, you have the option).

Our problems are the greedy Government, which seeks to tax anything and everything! If we want to find greed, just look to government. It's appetite is insatiable. It will never have enough of your money.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:28 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,078,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This problem pales in comparison to entitlement programs, such as Section 8 housing, food stamps, welfare, WIC, etc. At least corporations are producing something tangible, and employing others. In contrast, perpetually unemployed people do nothing except to take from society. It is time to start demonizing this segment of the population, and to stop bashing achievement.
These programs make up a relatively small portion of our federal budget.

In contrast, how much have we spent on bailing out Bear Stearns and Frannie Mac and Freddie Mae BILLIONS OF DOLLARS! Hello there! And this was all their own fault for engaging in outrageously risky behavior that caused their losses. Yet we the sucker taxpayer has to come along and bail em out.

Nevermind the oil company subsidies and free leases to drill on public land. And all this corporate welfare while we're paying record high prices while NO SURPRISE HERE oil companies are making the biggest profits ever.

SUCKERS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies