Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:51 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,630,430 times

Advertisements

Pro abortion but anti death penalty

Anti cigarette but support pot smoking

Hates America but refuses to leave

Hates racial profilling but loves affermative action

Michael Savage was right...liberalism is a mental disorder!

Old 08-15-2008, 08:58 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post

Actually, I'm pro cigarette AND pot smoking. Everyone needs a vice.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:01 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
These are pretty wide nets to be casting, but I'll play along.

Quote:
Interesting paradox.

Quote:
Not all are either of those, but the stereotype fits many.

Quote:
From one perspective, it certainly appears that way. If you asked them, though, they'd say that they love America, and they believe it. Whether they do or not is totally subjective - what does it mean to "love" America?

Quote:
Another interesting paradox.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
insanity comes by degrees and is relative. hard right insanity
9 trillion dollar debt from a party platform of austerity? defend NYC by sending troops to bagdad. enforce immigration by bumping up deportations on a porous border.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:28 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
But reverse the order and that's the way the twisted logic of conservatives works.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:22 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But reverse the order and that's the way the twisted logic of conservatives works.
Not really. As a libertarian and conservative, my beliefs aren't contradictory.

I'm pro choice and pro death penalty

I'm neither pro nor anti cigarette nor anti pot smoking, except for children. Adults should be able to kills themselves if they want to, up to the point they put others at risk by their behavior.

I love America and would never leave

I hate any action that judges people solely on race, but I have no problem with checking Muslim men between age 18-25 at airports more closely. Not all Muslims men are terrorists, but all the terrorists that have struck us have been Muslim men. Acting prudently isn't profiling, provided you have a rational basis for your actions. Should we waste time checking more 80 year old white grandmas from Minnesota, instead of concentrating on what has been the threat so far, which is Muslim men from Arab countries? There is no room for political correctness where lives are at stake.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,017,633 times
Quote:

Pro choice doesn't mean pro abortion, it means pro a woman's right to choose whether or not to get an abortion. Racial profiling is different than affirmative action. What is Racial profiling is targeting a specific race for criminal activity. A common example of police racial profiling is "DWB", otherwise known as "Driving while Black". This refers to the practice of police targeting African Americans for traffic stops because they believe that African Americans are more likely to be engaged in criminal activity. Affirmative Action is making policies to increase oppurtunities for minorities in the United States by favoring them in hiring, college admissions etc. There's a quite a difference between racial profiling and affirmative action. Liberals don't hate America, just because someone doesn't follow your way, that doesn't mean they hate America. Also, liberals may be both pro cigarrettes and pro legalization of marijuana.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:00 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times
Quote:

I am liberal.. I don't support abortion, but I don't oppose it either.. its a personal issue...

I don't support smoking or pot smoking.. but I don't oppose it either.. its a personal issue

I don't hate america.. I speak out in anger because I love it

I hate racial profiling and affirmative action, I'm about promoting the underpriveledged no matter what colour they are...

Your logic sounds like rush limbaugh talking points.....
Small minds can only wrap around the issues so much... before you start a post that is antagonistic... try to seem atleast inteligent and educated...

us vs them mentality does not help america in any way.. it only will continue to divide us... grow up

Old 08-16-2008, 05:01 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:

Right On! Oxymorons!

Old 08-16-2008, 05:10 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
As long as we are going to discuss the Twisted Logic of Liberals, we might also need to examine the Limited Coping Capabilities of Conservatives. The twisted logic here is that right-wing philosophy and thinking are so disconnected from actual reality that adherents are forced to invent and inhabit alternate realities in order for that philosophy to function and survive at all. And it isn't necessarily anything new either...

-- Conservatives can't cope with the implications of evolution, so they invent their own alternative pseudo-science where those implications do not exist.

-- Conservatives can't cope with the implications of climate science, so again they invent their own alternative pseudo-science to wipe those implications away.

-- Conservatives can't cope with the implications of the widespread rejection of religious dogma concerning abortion and homosexuality, so guess what...they manufacture their own pseudo-science that pretends to support the dogma.

-- Conservatives can't cope with the implications of criticism of US policy either at home or abroad, so they invent the idea of "America haters" and pretend that all the actual flaws lie with them. Some of those designated as "America haters" (see Ward Churchill or Hugo Chavez) are then ruthlessly attacked in an attempt to smother their ideas.

-- Conservatives can't cope with the implications of the daily news, so they invent their own disinformation media where events are ignored, misrepresented, or just plain fabricated in order to create a more palatable presentation.

-- Conservatives can't cope with the implications of rapidly expanding income inequalities, so they invent myths about poor decision making and personal responsibility that seek to place all the blame on the victims.

-- Conservatives can't cope with the lingering implications of 400 years of racism, so they invent a movement to pretend that continuing efforts toward establishment of full equality are actually discrimination against the priveleged.

-- Conservatives can't cope with the social implications of demographic and migratory realities, so they invent what is little more than a hate-group that pretends it can hold back cultural and economic tides and preserve a culture that doesn't actually exist to begin with.

-- Conservatives definitely can't cope with the cooperative implications of living within a progressive society, so they invent such ideas as that taxes are bad, that the private sector is efficient, that free markets provide all the answers, and that what they will define as liberty and property rights give them free license to exploitation and the evasion of social responsibilities in toto.

I could have gone on. There really isn't any shortage of areas in which one can detect the right-wing position shrinking away in some manner or other from actual reality, taking up refuge instead within a fictitious but more comforting alternate reality. I do wonder if it's poor coping skills alone that account for this, or whether there might not be other contributing factors at work here as well. But either way, when it comes to twisted logic, I think that in the end, the conservatives must handed the title over liberals by a very wide margin indeed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies