Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:19 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,921 times

Advertisements

The unions killed those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 02:28 PM

107 posts, read 358,839 times
Why rag on New Jersey? Stop drinking the Hatorade.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:53 PM

132 posts, read 528,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
These are cities have been built in such a way over time that they whole cities are capable of dealing with heavy manufacturing, they are still in what is considered to be prime locations for high amounts of manufacturing... rivers, railroads, lakes, seaways are accessible to these cities. They fueled this countries economy at one point in a big way, the geographic infrastructure is still there, they just need to get up and running again somehow. I hope that these cities can get back on their feet and start operating at full steam... I have absolutely no problem whatsoever if my tax dollars do indeed go towards such a restoration.
They've always been up and running. Manufacturing is just less labor intensive now. Less workers needed for the same output as decades ago.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:56 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvopolis View Post
Why rag on New Jersey? Stop drinking the Hatorade.
Ever been to Trenton,nj?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:14 PM

107 posts, read 358,839 times
Default Trenton?

Well Trenton is just one small part of New Jersey. Now South Carolina, that place scared me. I just stopped at a Subway, and it was like an episode of the 700 Club. But to each their own.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:15 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
I would normally agree with your position however it must be realized that these cities are hitting near rock bottom. Detroit is pretty much already there, ever drive through the city?... its quite scary. So to get these cities back on their feet just as city is a pretty good thing but I still wouldn't warrant federal assistance. However to get these cities back on their feet to re-fulfill the position that they once had in this country is a whole different outlook.

These are cities have been built in such a way over time that they whole cities are capable of dealing with heavy manufacturing, they are still in what is considered to be prime locations for high amounts of manufacturing... rivers, railroads, lakes, seaways are accessible to these cities. They fueled this countries economy at one point in a big way, the geographic infrastructure is still there, they just need to get up and running again somehow. I hope that these cities can get back on their feet and start operating at full steam... I have absolutely no problem whatsoever if my tax dollars do indeed go towards such a restoration.
I saw a story on Current TV about how Detroit is losing thousands of people each year. I feel for the city yet at the same time, it could have been avoided. They can try to bid for manufacturing of solar panels, wind turbines, etc.

Maybe you can start an organization committeed to the restoration of the city with your own money but I'd rather my tax dollars support my own state with it's own economic development.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:25 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Quote:
Well Trenton is just one small part of New Jersey. Now South Carolina, that place scared me. I just stopped at a Subway, and it was like an episode of the 700 Club. But to each their own.
And Newark, Camden, Jersey City.
I moved to South Carolina in 1994 been here ever since, and love it. My whole family lives here now, and loves it.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Maybe you can start an organization committeed to the restoration of the city with your own money but I'd rather my tax dollars support my own state with it's own economic development.
Well you do that buy paying your state tax, your federal tax would be going to this restoration...

If we didn't help each other out when it is absolutely necessary then this would not be the UNITED States of America.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:01 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Well you do that buy paying your state tax, your federal tax would be going to this restoration...

If we didn't help each other out when it is absolutely necessary then this would not be the UNITED States of America.

I said I would RATHER the money go to my own state's development, not that they will.
I understand helping each other out in the event of a natural disaster, a fire hits someones house or something like that but I won't help someone out because they made the bad decision of choosing a bad leader and now they're suffering an economic downturn.

It's just like the mortgage mess. Why should tax dollars be used to bail out people who made a bad financial decision? If that's the case, I don't feel like paying my car loan off, I don't feel like paying my cell phone bill or the bill for my DSL. Where is my government bail out? I'm not saying these people didn't want to pay off their mortgage but it's not my responsibility to pay for the mistakes of others.

I'm a pretty caring person but in this situation, I could care less about these people just like I'm sure they could care less about me.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:00 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
so true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies