Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times

Advertisements

Regardless of what you may think about MADD, do you honestly believe that drinking and driving is a good thing?

Do you believe that lobbying AGAINST legislation to keep drunken drivers OFF the road is a good thing?

Do you believe that the POTUS should be connected to an industry that produces a product that is responsible for so much pain and suffering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 11:56 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
Nobody thinks that drinking and driving is a good thing. However, I do not have a problem with the idea of McCain's wife owning a beer distrubtion company. I like beer and know how to drink it responsibily, so who cares.

However, I do find the resistance of American beer Co's to publishing the alcoholic content of beer a bit odd. I frequent some nicer bars that specialize in Microbrews and European beers and they almost always list the alcoholic content. I find it helpful in drinking responsibly, as a sensible person knows that there is a bit of a difference between consuming 3 pints of a 4.5%ABV lager and 3 pints of an 8%AVB Belgian Ale (and no, I would not drive after either).

Old 08-18-2008, 12:12 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times
McCain has recused himself for many years on alcohol issues in the Senate. As president, however, McCain would face far more difficulty distancing himself from an issue with such broad scope.

Public interest groups that lobby on alcohol issues say it will clearly be inappropriate for the McCain family to continue running or owning the company if McCain is elected.

"In a lot of government agencies, there is a concern about undue influence played by a regulated industry," said Chris Waldrop, director of the Food Policy Institute at the Consumer Federation of America. "But it has not been to the point that the president's wife owns a majority share of a company that is lobbying an agency."
- OP's link

Old 08-18-2008, 12:28 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,088 times
Ralph Vartabedian's article in the Los Angeles Times solicits readers to be suspicious of a McCain administration, promoting the idea that he would be signing laws that strengthen beer distributor's profits and their implied opposition to the "responsible drinking" message.

This is as much a political fear tactic as it is a real concern for issues on alcohol consumption in America.

Pure Hogwash. Next it will be said that beer distributors are responsible for Barack Obama's excessive drinking when he was younger.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Ralph Vartabedian's article in the Los Angeles Times solicits readers to be suspicious of a McCain administration, promoting the idea that he would be signing laws that strengthen beer distributor's profits and their implied opposition to the "responsible drinking" message.

This is as much a political fear tactic as it is a real concern for issues on alcohol consumption in America.

Pure Hogwash. Next it will be said that beer distributors are responsible for Barack Obama's excessive drinking when he was younger.
So, if the President were married to, say, a lobbyist for NAMBLA, that would be all right with you?

Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
So, if the President were married to, say, a lobbyist for NAMBLA, that would be all right with you?
Ha Ha, Sometimes you really amaze me delusianne. This proposition is off the deep end - even for you.

I hardly think you can compare NAMBLA to the beer industry. Do you think that distributing beer is immoral? Are you saying that President's and their spouses shouldn't be able to invest in the stock market?

If a candidate's spouse was a lobbyist for NAMBLA, that candidate would never be elected.

This is what I said:

Old 08-18-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
If a candidate's spouse was a lobbyist for NAMBLA, that candidate would never be elected.
The point is, you should have a concern about a person with close ties to a particular industry or company in the White House. Doesnt matter for whom. Even advisors have to cut their corporate ties. Look at poor Dick Cheney, he'd already left Halliburton months before Inauguration Day 2000.

Last edited by delusianne; 08-18-2008 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
I do understand the concern of a politician being to close to a particular industry, however, I do not think this warrants the hand-wringing that is currently being expended. It seems that McCain handled this appropriately before, and last I checked, the president of the united states generally doesn't get too involved in the regulation of alcoholic beverages. There are plenty of reasons not to vote for McCain, this is not one of them.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:53 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
The real issue for McCain and MADD is at the local level. It is very hard for local government to be anything other then pro MADD. All you need is one teenage traffic fatality and a failure as a local leader to support MADD to the nth degree and you have a problem. Especially away from big cities. If MADD ever got into the campaign actively supporting Obama then they would be effective in challenging McCains family business interest at the LOCAL level.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:57 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
Default Go get 'em McCain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Being anti-MADD myself, I would view that as a plus.

Me too and I don't even drink. Go get 'em McCain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies