Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:28 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
NEW YORK — A racy, historical novel based on the Prophet Muhammad's child bride A'isha was supposed to hit book stores in the U.S. Tuesday.
But in a rare case of self-censorship to preempt possible violent reaction by Muslims, one of the world's largest publishing houses pulled the plug on the book just before its release date.
Sherry Jones, author of The Jewel of Medina, said she received word from Random House Inc. that the book's release would be "postponed indefinitely." The decision came after copies of her book were sent to stores, her book tour was scheduled and her work of fiction was accepted by the Book of the Month Club (it was scheduled to be in the August selection).
Once again, the Muslims/Islamics have placed freedom of speech on the the block and have chopped off its head to satisfy their own perversion for control of the minds of the infidels!

FOXNews.com - Book Based on Prophet Muhammad's Child Bride Yanked At 11th Hour - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 02:36 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,299,154 times
i'm gonna download it

someone in cyberspace will have a copy of it

Old 08-19-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
i'm gonna download it

someone in cyberspace will have a copy of it
Please PM me when you find it, thanks. Kudos on being a Skynard fan!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:25 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
That sucks. If catholics can handle seeing a statue of the virgin slathered in elephant poop, and if christians can handle seeing the cross submerged in human urine --- why must we bend over and take it to spare muslims feelings? If the vast majority of muslims are a peaceful, civilized and logical crowd --- then why the fear? This same type of fear, or trepidation if you prefer, is not shown to any other religious group, political group, or raced based group that I can think of. Sure there may be protests, but no bombings, no call for jihad, no burning someone in effigy, and no rioting.
I have to say....what the mofo muslims?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
That sucks. If catholics can handle seeing a statue of the virgin slathered in elephant poop, and if christians can handle seeing the cross submerged in human urine --- why must we bend over and take it to spare muslims feelings? If the vast majority of muslims are a peaceful, civilized and logical crowd --- then why the fear? This same type of fear, or trepidation if you prefer, is not shown to any other religious group, political group, or raced based group that I can think of. Sure there may be protests, but no bombings, no call for jihad, no burning someone in effigy, and no rioting.
I have to say....what the mofo muslims?
Because Islam, the Quaran and Sharia Law demand that Muslims/Islamics defend their faith with their blood and be willing to be "martyred" in the defense of Islam.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:45 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
I knew Mohammad married his older cousin and now this book comes out about his child bride.

That guy was busy.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:07 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
It's probably just as well the book never went to the publisher....it probably would have been "a bomb" anyway....

Old 08-19-2008, 11:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I knew Mohammad married his older cousin and now this book comes out about his child bride.

That guy was busy.
And you would have been too.

It was common in all societies that women be wed shortly after the onset of menses.

It's fortunate that your ancestors living in Kent four centuries ago would have had the privilege of the lord of the manor choosing who would marry their 12 year old daughter, instead of having a match-maker choose as was custom in other societies.

It was also the great privilege of your ancestors to have the lord of the manor bust her cherry on her wedding night.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:24 AM

799 posts, read 1,445,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And you would have been too.

It was common in all societies that women be wed shortly after the onset of menses.

It's fortunate that your ancestors living in Kent four centuries ago would have had the privilege of the lord of the manor choosing who would marry their 12 year old daughter, instead of having a match-maker choose as was custom in other societies.

It was also the great privilege of your ancestors to have the lord of the manor bust her cherry on her wedding night.

That's effed up.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:17 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
>It was also the great privilege of your ancestors to have the lord of the manor bust her cherry on her wedding night.<

Largely a myth. (not saying it never happened)

The Straight Dope: Did medieval lords have "right of the first night" with the local brides?

Look at it this way. The population of England/ Wales was round 4 million in 1600. There were a couple thousand lords (INCLUDING the sons of the lords). John Holms, Gene Simmons, and Wilt Chamberlain could not keep up with that.

marriage pre 1750 was often more of a business contract. "you want my blacksmith apprenticeship? No problem, meet my daughter Magdalena" or in the business classes 2 sons of Mr X would marry 2 daughters of Mr Y and Mr Ys son would marry the daughter of Mr X. Mr X was a Genry sheep herder Cattle farmer. My Y just happened to own a tannery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies