Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 02:15 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 03:00 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I have always wondered this myself. we all know that poverty is a choice, so why do so many chose to live in it? with all the government grants, educational opportunities, and other government programs out there, why do so many choose to do so little? show me a poor person, and I will show you a reason. unless you are physically or mentally disabled, there is no excuse for being poor.
A post like this reminds me of how many young people there are in this country that are really naive about how life works. First you have to define what you mean by poor. Do you mean people who don't spend their life in pursuit of wealth? There are a lot of people who choose to live very simply because "things" just don't mean that much to them. They prefer to work at a job they enjoy and spend their time with family and/or the enjoyment of nature, books, music, etc. You might think they are "poor" because they don't have a big fancy house and a lot of toys but they may indeed be living a very rich, fulfilling life. And a lot of very well educated people choose this style of life too I might add. Then there are people who have worked hard all their lives and thought they had achieved their goals and security. Then the company for which they work moves to Poland and other companies who employ people with similar skills also close down or move. Suddenly they watch everything for which they have worked go away as they struggle to survive and find another means of making a living. Then there are people who made poor choices when they were too young to make good choices and are now doing what they can to live with the results of those choices. I could go on and on but life will teach you that everything isn't as simple as you believe when you are young and inexperienced. I would also suggest that you look at some of the very, very wealthy young people in this country who did not do a single thing to earn their wealth....they were just born to it and end up wasting it through decandant living a life in which they accomplish nothing and leave nothing behind them but bad feelings.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:11 PM

well, first of all, no one in this country is really poor. they are just whining cry babies. you want poor, go to pakistan. when I say poor, I am referring to who democrats love to point to. the poverty stricken during katrina. you know, those lovely people. people who live in low income neighborhoods. I am referring to those people who claim that they can't afford medical care, but have the internet and a cell phone. I am referring to those who say they can't afford gas, but have a $300 per month car payment. I am referring to the parasites of society who contribute nothing, but look for handouts everywhere. when I see a reply like yours, I am truly reminded of how off in their own world most liberals are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
A post like this reminds me of how many young people there are in this country that are really naive about how life works. First you have to define what you mean by poor. Do you mean people who don't spend their life in pursuit of wealth? There are a lot of people who choose to live very simply because "things" just don't mean that much to them. They prefer to work at a job they enjoy and spend their time with family and/or the enjoyment of nature, books, music, etc. You might think they are "poor" because they don't have a big fancy house and a lot of toys but they may indeed be living a very rich, fulfilling life. And a lot of very well educated people choose this style of life too I might add. Then there are people who have worked hard all their lives and thought they had achieved their goals and security. Then the company for which they work moves to Poland and other companies who employ people with similar skills also close down or move. Suddenly they watch everything for which they have worked go away as they struggle to survive and find another means of making a living. Then there are people who made poor choices when they were too young to make good choices and are now doing what they can to live with the results of those choices. I could go on and on but life will teach you that everything isn't as simple as you believe when you are young and inexperienced. I would also suggest that you look at some of the very, very wealthy young people in this country who did not do a single thing to earn their wealth....they were just born to it and end up wasting it through decandant living a life in which they accomplish nothing and leave nothing behind them but bad feelings.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:11 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Some don't choose to be poor. I have a bachelor of science in flight operations, plus an additional 3 years of flight training and every civilian flight certificate one can attain. I'm am a gainfully employed airline pilot. Yet, I'm on public assistance and can barely keep my head above water. They have sliced and diced our wages and benefits in this industry rather than raise ticket prices to where they should be. Therefore, my family pays the price. Plus, they are going to furlough several hundred of us later this fall. I didn't plan this, it was imposed upon me. I wasn't supposed to happen this way, it just happened. Some people try to make the responsible and smart decisions and choices, and still get screwed. Your view is too simplistic and black and white. Life, on the other hand, has a lot of gray areas.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:17 PM

I bet you that I could cut your expenses in half. I would bet that you carry a lot of debt, have several cell phones, cable, you obviously have internet. see, people are suffering from the entitlement disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Some don't choose to be poor. I have a bachelor of science in flight operations, plus an additional 3 years of flight training and every civilian flight certificate one can attain. I'm am a gainfully employed airline pilot. Yet, I'm on public assistance and can barely keep my head above water. They have sliced and diced our wages and benefits in this industry rather than raise ticket prices to where they should be. Therefore, my family pays the price. Plus, they are going to furlough several hundred of us later this fall. I didn't plan this, it was imposed upon me. I wasn't supposed to happen this way, it just happened. Some people try to make the responsible and smart decisions and choices, and still get screwed. Your view is too simplistic and black and white. Life, on the other hand, has a lot of gray areas.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Before we can discuss 'poverty', provide a definition of 'poverty'.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:22 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,482 times
Quote:
well, first of all, no one in this country is really poor. they are just whining cry babies. you want poor, go to pakistan. when I say poor, I am referring to who democrats love to point to. the poverty stricken during katrina. you know, those lovely people. people who live in low income neighborhoods. I am referring to those people who claim that they can't afford medical care, but have the internet and a cell phone. I am referring to those who say they can't afford gas, but have a $300 per month car payment. I am referring to the parasites of society who contribute nothing, but look for handouts everywhere. when I see a reply like yours, I am truly reminded of how off in their own world most liberals are.
I have a feeling you are more interested in heated conversation as opposed to really discussing poverty and it's causes. Your post is generalizing to the level of absurdity.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:27 PM

Poverty in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-23-2008, 03:29 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I bet you that I could cut your expenses in half. I would bet that you carry a lot of debt, have several cell phones, cable, you obviously have internet. see, people are suffering from the entitlement disease.
Stop assuming that everyone on here has internet at home or pays for it, or pays much for it. Ever hear of the library? Friend's house? Work connection? Free dial-up?

As others have said, you're taking it to the extreme and it's absurd. Cell phones can be had cheap, pre-paid, and internet (as I just pointed out) can be had cheap, and neither of those 2 add up to anywhere close to the costs of HEALTH CARE. Sheesh.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:30 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,661,482 times
LOL so you post a Wiki link? Even more telling Jmarq
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies