Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 03:39 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
well, first of all, no one in this country is really poor. they are just whining cry babies. you want poor, go to pakistan. when I say poor, I am referring to who democrats love to point to. the poverty stricken during katrina. you know, those lovely people. people who live in low income neighborhoods. I am referring to those people who claim that they can't afford medical care, but have the internet and a cell phone. I am referring to those who say they can't afford gas, but have a $300 per month car payment. I am referring to the parasites of society who contribute nothing, but look for handouts everywhere. when I see a reply like yours, I am truly reminded of how off in their own world most liberals are.

I cant afford healthcare but i do have the net. I need the net for my classes because some are online. My knee is grinding to the point that I may not be able to finish school. It is becoming increasing difficult for me to even walk. The pain I feel is getting pretty bad. Before you judge others I suggest you walk a mile in their shoes. People like you make me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 03:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I chose to be poor, and it turned out fine. I've learned to live within a means that I could attain without any particular effort or sacrifice of values. I've lived a good, quality life with plenty of free time to pursue interests, and I have few regrets. I'm now retired with a modest, mid-range social security income and a little more I set aside by spending less than I earned.

As for other people, I would venture this guess. Our economy has gone so badly in the past couple of decades, that more and more people are simply sick and tired of dedicating their entire life to a ratrace that never even promises anything more than barely keeping their heads above water, with practically no safety net to bail them out of a bit of bad luck. For so many people, the only reason their life has not turned catastrophic is because the have not yet hit that accident or illness or shop closing that will throw them into a permanant debt that will never be resolved in their lifetime.

The simple reality is that this country can only say afloat with an army of low-income workers showing up every morning, and those low-income workers are always going to receive less than they deserve as a share of our huge national wealth that can find so much in its pockets to reward the billionaires. And those low-income workers have very little incentive to wish they were rich. They don't choose to be poor, they resign themselves to being poor because they have eyes and ears and are not stupid and can see what is going on around them.

It is a sad state of affairs, when for so many people, the only hope of the American dream is at the lottery counter.

And please don's insult our intelligence by saying "All they have to do is go to an Ivy League school and become a doctor". Because when they do, they will hire an $8-an-hour recpetionist who drives her kids to daycare in a '96 Dodge Neon, and will then still be part of the problem, not the solution.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:45 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
I have a feeling that people who keep claiming that "the poor deserve what they get and choose to be poor" are very similar to those who, when a young woman is raped, claim that it is the fault of the clothes she wore or her being out after dark. Or, when a child is kidnapped or molested, etc, they claim that if the parents had only done this or that it wouldn't have happened. The reason people behave in this manner is because they are terribly frightened that the same thing will happen to them and they will find their lives smashed to smithereens. They think that if they tell themselves that people really CAN control everything that happens to them so these people must have CHOSEN what happened, then they make themselves believe that they can control everything in their own lives and keep the boogyman away. Sadly, life will teach them differently.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:45 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I chose to be poor, and it turned out fine. I've learned to live within a means that I could attain without any particular effort or sacrifice of values. I've lived a good, quality life with plenty of free time to pursue interests, and I have few regrets. I'm now retired with a modest, mid-range social security income and a little more I set aside by spending less than I earned.

As for other people, I would venture this guess. Our economy has gone so badly in the past couple of decades, that more and more people are simply sick and tired of dedicating their entire life to a ratrace that never even promises anything more than barely keeping their heads above water, with practically no safety net to bail them out of a bit of bad luck. For so many people, the only reason their life has not turned catastrophic is because the have not yet hit that accident or illness or shop closing that will throw them into a permanant debt that will never be resolved in their lifetime.

The simple reality is that this country can only say afloat with an army of low-income workers showing up every morning, and those low-income workers are always going to receive less than they deserve as a share of our huge national wealth that can find so much in its pockets to reward the billionaires
. And those low-income workers have very little incentive to wish they were rich. They don't choose to be poor, they resign themselves to being poor because they have eyes and ears and are not stupid and can see what is going on around them.

It is a sad state of affairs, when for so many people, the only hope of the American dream is at the lottery counter.
Yeah. What s/he said.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:46 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Self determination, intelligence, drive and someone to put those in motion are what's required to be rich.

The folks that listen to their elders and wonder when they are going to quit yapping will always be poor.

The ones that listen to their elders with interest and encouragement as to what not to do or do will be the ones that succeed.

Succeeding does not mean 20 million $. Succeeding means having the things you need to survive and be comfortable.

People forget here in the US with an average income of $44,000 a year that put's us in the top 1% of the world.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:50 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Some people don't have the guidance when they're young to feel that they can aspire to do something more positive with their lives. Some people can pull themselves out of poverty. Many college and university students today will be the first in their families to get a formal education. Others may not have had a parent, relative or high school counselor instill self esteem in them and convince them that they are capable of leading a life outside of poverty. One still needs to graduate from high school or at least get a GED to go to college or to get a decent job in the trades, for instance. I don't think that most people are happy that they're in poverty. They lack the courage and tools to try a different path in life. Many people have given up on the idea that they'll ever have their own home, travel, etc. So they get other things that are more attainable. A lap top, a cell phone, a car, etc. And sure, perhaps they can barely afford these things. But let me tell you this; most middle class can't afford what they have either. I have a relative in collections and most of the debtors who are defaulting on their credit card payments are middle class homeowners in 2 income families. Debt is relative. Someone who makes $150k may carry a higher debt/income ratio than someone making $15k a year. The middle class may not appear poor, but many have no net worth at all or very little after you factor in their mortgages, 2nd mortgages, credit cards, car payments, etc. So don't just look at people who seem "poor" to you with disdain. There are more poor people out there than you think. If you don't want to be poor, pay your credit cards off every month or every other month, have a mortgage payment or rent that you can pay with 25% of your take home pay, save 20% of your pay every month and invest as much as you can in an IRA.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:02 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
that describes poverty in america. there is also something called the poverty line. I would be more than happy to give a government definition of the poverty level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet52698 View Post
LOL so you post a Wiki link? Even more telling Jmarq

Old 08-23-2008, 04:03 PM

if you can't afford health care, get another job, or quite complaining about it. I have heard of all those ways to get the internet, and I don't believe for a second that the majority of people are using those methods. I know cell phones can be had for cheap, but if you are poor, you shouldn't have one at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Stop assuming that everyone on here has internet at home or pays for it, or pays much for it. Ever hear of the library? Friend's house? Work connection? Free dial-up?

As others have said, you're taking it to the extreme and it's absurd. Cell phones can be had cheap, pre-paid, and internet (as I just pointed out) can be had cheap, and neither of those 2 add up to anywhere close to the costs of HEALTH CARE. Sheesh.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:05 PM

I don't have health care at the moment, and I would never expect someone else to pay for it for me. people like me make you sick because you don't like to hear opposing points of view and you can't stand to have someone point out flaws. trust me, I have lived through things that you could never even imagine, and they were all my choice, and I fought to overcome the adversity alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
I cant afford healthcare but i do have the net. I need the net for my classes because some are online. My knee is grinding to the point that I may not be able to finish school. It is becoming increasing difficult for me to even walk. The pain I feel is getting pretty bad. Before you judge others I suggest you walk a mile in their shoes. People like you make me sick.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:10 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I don't have health care at the moment, and I would never expect someone else to pay for it for me. people like me make you sick because you don't like to hear opposing points of view and you can't stand to have someone point out flaws. trust me, I have lived through things that you could never even imagine, and they were all my choice, and I fought to overcome the adversity alone.
So you tell me what I do wrong okay? I work full time, and go to school full time. Through no fault of my own my knee started having issues about a year ago. Now, I am told, if I don't have surgery soon, I may loose my knee and need an artificial one. I pay for my own school, books, car, house, etc. I can not afford healthcare. So what am I to do? Drop out of school in order to pay for my surgery and the years it would take me to pay off with my current job OR stay in school and possibly not be able to finish anyway because of my knee?

Oh and btw I also take care of a teen in highschool who was in an abusive situation and I let him come here so he didn't have to go through what he was. But hey...im just a poor bum of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies