Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:03 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Some of my relatives were "made men" in the Scarfo Crime Family in Philadelphia, PA and Scranton/Pittston, PA (Buffalino Crime Family) during the 50's, 60's and early 70's. I remember when I was about 10 years old meeting Russel Buffalino, the "capo" of the Northeast crime family, he gave me $20 and told me to "keep my nose clean"! That was over 50 years ago, and I remember that incident like it happened today! Mr. Buffalino and the three "guardie del corpo" all wore dark suits and were heavily armed. It was a once in a lifetime experience, especially for a 10 year old kid!
That was the golden age for those guys. Say what you will about the mob, but the guys of the 40s, 50s, and 60s had class.

Now the mob is mostly fat middle aged guys wearing jogging suits and with a thing for gold chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 12:06 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Ha! I will take organized crime over thug violence any day buddy!

I think you might be ignorant of present ghetto life.
The Five Points Gang, Plug Uglies, Slaughterhousers, Dead Rabbits, and so on were the Crips, Bloods, Latin Kings, and Mara Salvatrucha of their days. They robbed, raped, and murdered and they ruled their neighborhoods with impunity.

And many of the members (especially of the Five Points Gang) went onto become organized crime leaders.

Frank Costello, Al Capone, Lucky Luciano, Frank Nitti, Meyer Lanksky, Joe Adonis, Frankie Yale, and dozens of other high profile mobsters got their start beating up pushcart owners, extorting hookers, and stabbing the kids down the block.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
That was the golden age for those guys. Say what you will about the mob, but the guys of the 40s, 50s, and 60s had class.

Now the mob is mostly fat middle aged guys wearing jogging suits and with a thing for gold chains.
Yeah, just like the Sopranos! Having seen the real "La Cosa Nostra" (Our thing), the "literary license" taken by David de Chase (real name) was becoming very annoying, especially the last 2 seasons where I basically lost interest in the show because of all the "theatrical diversions and dramatized happenings"! Actually, the 30's through the 60's was the "Golden Age" of Sicilian and Italian organized crime. Now the "mob" has largely been supplanted by Latino, Russian and Asian gangs in most cities in the US.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:20 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,800 times
This board was at one time a place where different people could have difficult, entertaining, and frank discussions about sometimes difficult topics.
What a shame when the closet and overt racists just make the board a place for hate.

We have a woman stabbed to death and nobody helps or calls for help, this is a terrible indictment on what we have become as people and a society. We don't speak on the factor, causes, solutions, or whatever. No, the FIRST thing we jump to is the "MONGRELIZATION" of the races and somehow tainted blood is leading to the fall of our society, what racist BS. we then go on to say that neighborhoods of the same people are inherently safer because all the people look alike, well the neighborhood would stay safer if we "INCLUDED" those who don't look like us as long as thet were decent and also wanted a safe place to live in.
If the ONLY answer you can contribute to a conversation is that everyone who looks different than us must contribute to the ills of society, please go back to other websites that cultivate hate, ignorance, and exclusion.

What happened to this lady happened because blacks, whites, asians, etc have all become so damned self centered that we don't care what happens in this world if it dosen't directly effects us.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:46 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Maybe she just gets drunk and screams all the time. Its not like that doesnt happen.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:17 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
This board was at one time a place where different people could have difficult, entertaining, and frank discussions about sometimes difficult topics.
What a shame when the closet and overt racists just make the board a place for hate.

We have a woman stabbed to death and nobody helps or calls for help, this is a terrible indictment on what we have become as people and a society. We don't speak on the factor, causes, solutions, or whatever. No, the FIRST thing we jump to is the "MONGRELIZATION" of the races and somehow tainted blood is leading to the fall of our society, what racist BS. we then go on to say that neighborhoods of the same people are inherently safer because all the people look alike, well the neighborhood would stay safer if we "INCLUDED" those who don't look like us as long as thet were decent and also wanted a safe place to live in.
If the ONLY answer you can contribute to a conversation is that everyone who looks different than us must contribute to the ills of society, please go back to other websites that cultivate hate, ignorance, and exclusion.

What happened to this lady happened because blacks, whites, asians, etc have all become so damned self centered that we don't care what happens in this world if it dosen't directly effects us.
I'm the "MONGRELIZATION" OP! Here is the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary definition of "Mongrelization":

mongrelization

One entry found.

mongrel

Main Entry: mon·grel Pronunciation: \ˈmäŋ-grəl, ˈməŋ-\ Function: noun Etymology: Middle English, probably from mong mixture, short for ymong, from Old English gemong crowd — more at among Date: 15th century 1: an individual resulting from the interbreeding of diverse breeds or strains; especially : one of unknown ancestry2: a cross between types of persons or things
— mongrel adjective
— mon·grel·i·za·tion \ˌmäŋ-grə-lə-ˈzā-shən, ˌməŋ-\ noun
— mon·grel·ize \ˈmäŋ-grə-ˌlīz, ˈməŋ-\ transitive verb

You may interpret the word and definition at your political and racial discretion.

Last edited by Steve Hazzard; 08-26-2008 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Edit text.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:40 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,341,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I'm glad to see that at least one person remembers that. It should be taught in schools. In Civics classes.

It is taught in Social Science and/or Psychology 101 . It's still an impt example.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:51 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
What a shame ...
...what a shame that political correctness has taken over, and the above-referenced frank discussions can't take place without a bunch of mamby pamby feel-gooders tiptoing around the above-referenced difficult topics and bitching out those who speak their minds.

pfft.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:48 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,341,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Yeah, just like the Sopranos! Having seen the real "La Cosa Nostra" (Our thing), the "literary license" taken by David de Chase (real name) was becoming very annoying, especially the last 2 seasons where I basically lost interest in the show because of all the "theatrical diversions and dramatized happenings"! Actually, the 30's through the 60's was the "Golden Age" of Sicilian and Italian organized crime. Now the "mob" has largely been supplanted by Latino, Russian and Asian gangs in most cities in the US.
------------

I am glad that never got into the Sopranos. We tapes sent over seas but never got into them . Shown on big screen with free pop corn.

Glad as last episode which I did see was horrid ending. I wanted them all "hit" including his kids ESP his kids

Old 08-26-2008, 02:59 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times
Luiso your post is hidden from me because you're on my ignore list so i hope you'll understand if I don't respond. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies