Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,528 times

Advertisements

1) Cnn and the gloom and doom networks are just trying to sell a story. They make it seem like the economy is worse than it really is. They try and make it seem that everyone is losing their houses and that all mortgages are being foreclosed on. far from it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 09:36 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Every time I visit the CNN webpage and see yet another doom and gloom story about our economy, I am more and more aware that the average American is paying an extremly high price for the decisions of others. Very few of us had anything to do with the very stupid decisions made by mortgage lenders but when the house of cards came crashing down, we were the ones buried under the rubble. The greed of brokers like Bear Stearns and the impact of their defaults was huge and it is evidently happening across the board and even with Freddie and Fannie. Why must we Americans suffer because a small contingent of reckless and greedy people put our futures at risk for their own enrichment?
Stop right there. What on earth makes you think that we, the collective American end consumers, had nothing to do with the mortgage crisis?? I had an ARM proposed to me while I was house hunting. I had never bought a house before, never studied mortgages in school and had no particular prior knowledge of lending or home-buying. I knew that an ARM was a stupid, stupid option because I read the contract and did some research. It isn't like the information was difficult to come by. The sub-prime (which actually means "less than good") collapse was brought about because enormous numbers of people were not doing their homework. The fact that they were selling like hotcakes places at least an equal portion of the blame and greed on the people who signed on the dotted line. You and I are responsible for our own decisions and if you don't know what you can afford and can't tell sh*t from shinola, that's your problem and no one else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
The greed of brokers like Bear Stearns and the impact of their defaults was huge and it is evidently happening across the board and even with Freddie and Fannie. Why must we Americans suffer because a small contingent of reckless and greedy people put our futures at risk for their own enrichment? In what real-life scenario if any of us were to totally mishandle and waste our money would we be handed another chunk to repeat the behavior?!
Every one of the large mortgage lenders was heavily invested in sub-primes because there was an enormous demand internationally for a secure, high-yield investment to replace government bonds. As it turned out, giving bad loans to people with bad credit wasn't so secure. These companies were able to sell packaged sub-prime mortgages like hotcakes and they certainly didn't do anything to prevent the eventual collapse, but the apparent insecurity of the packaged mortgages came down to the individual purchasers who took terrible loans with awful terms because they wanted that house that they couldn't afford. All angles of this equation are equally guilty of stupidity, laziness and greed. There are no innocents.

So yeah, you're exactly right about Americans suffering from poor decisions, but from their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies