Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:43 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times

Advertisements

The median of white U.S. households was $54,920. Asian households had the highest median income $66,103. Hispanic median incomes were $38,679. Blacks rated at the bottom, with a median household income of $33,916.

The weighted average poverty threshold for a family of four in 2007 was $21,203; for a family of three, $16,530; for a family of two, $13,540; and for unrelated individuals, $10,590.

The census showed that 21.5 percent of Hispanics nationside were in poverty in 2007, up from 20.6 percent in 2006. Poverty rates remained statistically unchanged for whites, blacks and Asians.

The number of people in poverty increased for seniors 65 and older and for children younger than 18. For those 18 to 64, however, the number in poverty remained statistically unchanged, at 20.4 million in 2007.

No suprise here. In general, one group values education more than the other, one group saves more than the other, one group is willing to work harder than the other, one group is more family focused than the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 04:51 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
Its because of all that damned money they made off black slavery,,,,,,,uh,,,,,,wait......

Old 08-26-2008, 05:00 PM

What's really suprising is the Asian-White gap. Asians have incomes over 20% higher. Most being first or second generation Americans.

Now I'm sure some of this has to do with their best and brightest being able to immigrate here, but I think it has much more to do with the decline in values of white Americans. They do not value education as much, they don't value the rule of law as much, they don't save as much.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
A comparatively high proportion of Asian-Americans descended from people who immigrated fairly recently to America, under fairly recent rules governning qualified immigrants. Accordingly, more Asian immigrants were well-educated intellectuals, and Asian-American today are the descendents of that gene pool.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:13 PM

I have a little anecdotal story. My wife and I sent all three of our kids to expensive, waiting list only Montessori schools in a mostly all white wealthy area of DFW. Now we scrimped and saved to do this.

Low and behold when we get in there, we see many Pakistani kids, Indian kids, kids who's parents were from Hong Kong, Chinese..the parents were doctors, engineers, CEO's of fortune 500 companies.

So while my fellow white co-workers are blowing their paycheck on new Z-71's and waverunners, these parents have their sht together and are getting their kids the best education they can. It's just dishearting to see this, they have no idea what life will be like for their kids with no marketable skills.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Every year, several publications publish their list of the Top 100 High School students, based on a set of criteria that evalutate the best of the best. Every year, the number who have Asian surnames, or other kids who have first names that indicate they they were likely born in the old country or recently after their parents immigrated, is in the 80% neighborhood. If a high school has 2 or 3 percent Asian immigrant students, you can almost bet that one of them will be class valedictorian.

Get ready. Asians are going to kick our butts. Except maybe in the NFL. And, globally, they've got us outnumbered about 10-to-one. When you think of the worldl of 2050, you don't think this little pissant country of crybabies and whiners is going to still be dominating Asia with brute force (which is all we ever rely on), do you?

Old 08-26-2008, 05:42 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
What's really suprising is the Asian-White gap. Asians have incomes over 20% higher. Most being first or second generation Americans.

Now I'm sure some of this has to do with their best and brightest being able to immigrate here, but I think it has much more to do with the decline in values of white Americans. They do not value education as much, they don't value the rule of law as much, they don't save as much.
It has to do with the formative years. Studying in the library and taking 'extra credit' summer classes just happens to 'pay off' in the long run better than 'chilling' at the mall and skateboarding do. Nothing 'genetic' about it.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:15 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Quote:
The median of white U.S. households was $54,920. Asian households had the highest median income $66,103. Hispanic median incomes were $38,679. Blacks rated at the bottom, with a median household income of $33,916.

The weighted average poverty threshold for a family of four in 2007 was $21,203; for a family of three, $16,530; for a family of two, $13,540; and for unrelated individuals, $10,590.

The census showed that 21.5 percent of Hispanics nationside were in poverty in 2007, up from 20.6 percent in 2006. Poverty rates remained statistically unchanged for whites, blacks and Asians.

The number of people in poverty increased for seniors 65 and older and for children younger than 18. For those 18 to 64, however, the number in poverty remained statistically unchanged, at 20.4 million in 2007.

No suprise here. In general, one group values education more than the other, one group saves more than the other, one group is willing to work harder than the other, one group is more family focused than the other.
So true that last comment. Any correlation between high income and a prevalence of premature death from stroke, suicide, sleep depravation, or any stress-related illnesses? How about other personality disorders from social isolation? How about mental or emotional abnormalities due to an obsession with grades during childhood? Or perhaps psychological trauma due to POW conditions as a child being driven by rigid, strict parents to achieve far beyond expectations? Some of the unhappiest, most miserable people I know are highly educated and wealthy.

Certainly much more to these things than just income level.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:47 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,719,722 times
Funny, they all come to the US in droves for an education...

I am an engineering student, a white suburban one... I have several asian acquaintances. I would have to say that most of them need to place less emphasis on success and more on actually living out a life. You think most white Americans live to work... well Asians are probably a worse culprit of it than we are. Although I must say that most of the Indians I work with have come to embrace the American culture, not so focused on work but rather trying to live out an enjoyable life and so concerned about making a mistake once in a while.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:48 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,688,502 times
Quote:
I have a little anecdotal story. My wife and I sent all three of our kids to expensive, waiting list only Montessori schools in a mostly all white wealthy area of DFW. Now we scrimped and saved to do this.

Low and behold when we get in there, we see many Pakistani kids, Indian kids, kids who's parents were from Hong Kong, Chinese..the parents were doctors, engineers, CEO's of fortune 500 companies.

So while my fellow white co-workers are blowing their paycheck on new Z-71's and waverunners, these parents have their sht together and are getting their kids the best education they can. It's just dishearting to see this, they have no idea what life will be like for their kids with no marketable skills.
Most Asians value education. If all these Indian/Chinese parents were CEOs, they would not need to come here - think about it. However, because in Asian countries, there is no S/Security or a fallback position, you are expected to struggle hard. The immigrants who come here are not CEOs, but working shmucks like you and me. However, the value of education is still ingrained and they pass it on to their children. For the same money, most will drive less fancy cars, wear less make up, go out less etc - compared to a "typical" local. Plus - this is huge - most spend TIME (not necessarily $) with their kids ensuring they do homework, and strengthen families. They do not stand on a soap box shouting family values - but look at their divorce rates, teen pregnancy rates, incarceration rates, percent of people with advanced degrees, etc and other "values" people profess, you will be surprised they do well in almost every category. Plus, many Asians are here because their education (not amnesty or marriage) got them jobs. WHich means, they should be earning ok. All this partly explains why they and their kids do ok too. Not to say that there are not dumb Asians - the percent of dummies is the same the world over - only that the ones "filtering" thru do well here skewing the census.

Last edited by calmdude; 08-26-2008 at 08:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies