Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:43 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The Constitution does not vest judicial power in the executive. Vetoing a bill on any but blatant and obvious grounds of its being unconstitutional would at least border on being an abuse of powers.
A president can veto any bill for any reason or no reason at all. A president isn't required to provide any rationale for vetoing a bill, but they often do.

Once vetoed, it's up to Congress to muster the necessary votes to over-ride the veto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 07:54 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
They have 435 representatives in the House and 100 in the Senate. That's enough.

The District was created specifically to be an apolitical site for the federal government. There is no overriding reason to change that.
Unless the residents of D.C. have been forced to live there, I believe they made their 'taxation without representation' choice. I'd prefer to make D.C. an entirely political enterprise, no residents. And no parking lots. The can all take the metro to work.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:02 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
A president can veto any bill for any reason or no reason at all. A president isn't required to provide any rationale for vetoing a bill, but they often do. Once vetoed, it's up to Congress to muster the necessary votes to over-ride the veto.
That wasn't the point. The idea that a President would review all bills passed and veto any that he felt were unconstitutional was. This would at least border on claiming a judicial authority for the executive that he in fact does not have...

Old 09-01-2008, 08:10 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Unless the residents of D.C. have been forced to live there, I believe they made their 'taxation without representation' choice.
Ah, yet another Personal Responsibility® post. Lord knows what you would have advised to all those circa-1776 people who "made their choice" to live in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
I'd prefer to make D.C. an entirely political enterprise, no residents. And no parking lots. The can all take the metro to work.
You should write a book on urban planning. I'm sure it would be a big seller. Meanwhile, I'd advise that you stay away from games like Sim City...could be a little disheartening for you...

Old 09-02-2008, 08:34 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
I was born and raised in DC, but now live outside of it. These threads always amaze me to no end.

First, you have the contingent who either do not know this is the case or have their facts wrong. Well ignorance is legion everywhere. But then you have the crowd who thinks the situation is just swell or proclaim 'too bad.' I cannot imagine why people gaining full representation would be detrimental to their interests. Is this a macho thing?

Finally, you have realm of the completely insane. Granted none of them have appeared on this thread as of yet. During a similiar discussion in the DC section, one fella, who ironically himself lives within DC, said he kept a boat docked in Maryland and used that at his address. Clever, yes, but then he suggested that everyone in DC should simply do the same. Yes. Brilliant. A half a million people will go buy boats so as to vote. Well, you hang out on the Net long enough, you hear everything.

I am sure the Founders thought this a wise idea at the time. But it does not work and change is long overdue. However, I doubt its coming anytime soon. Perhaps I will write my Congressman, as I have one here in the Free State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies