Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 07:42 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
(I believe being gay is a choice, not biological- a while other controversy). I agree with the majority of the country, that marriage is the union of a man and a woman.
So mountains of scientific evidence are wrong, then? Why would anyone, knowing how shabbily gay people are treated in this society CHOOSE that shabby treatment?

Quote:
Furthermore, people always enter into private lives. If that weren't the case then we would accept incest, child abuse, etc. Society often enters into private lives when people are doing things that are seen as immoral and not socially acceptable by the majority.
Gay marriage is akin to incest and child abuse? Wow. That people in the supposedly most enlightened country in the world think along these lines is appalling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
I'll be glad to accept gay marriges as soon as you get the muslim countries too. lol , good luck.
Yeah, that's setting the bar really high...

Old 02-04-2007, 07:53 AM

30,352 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
So mountains of scientific evidence are wrong, then? Why would anyone, knowing how shabbily gay people are treated in this society CHOOSE that shabby treatment?
Absolutely right, and I'd like a show of hands from the straight people - who here made a conscious decision to be straight?? Do you all remember that moment when you sat down, and said "hmmmm, I think I'll date the opposite sex rather than the same sex"? Probably not, because it isn't something you make a decision about... it just IS, and we all know from a young age who we're attracted to. My sister has a friend who knew he was gay by age 10 (approx), even before he understood what it meant. They were playing in our Temple's playground one evening, and he told her that he wasn't going to marry a girl... fast forward 20+ years, and he's openly gay, partnered, and manages a GLBT theater in San Francisco. And no, that wasn't an example of making a decision, before anyone says it - he already knew, and was just informing my sister of this FACT.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:03 AM

30,352 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Here's another way to think about it... if tomorrow suddenly being gay became the law, would you be able to "switch teams" with a simple mental decision? Seriously, think about it for a second - can YOU make the choice to sleep with somebody of the same sex (and actually enjoy it, lol)?? I don't know about you, but I'd find it pretty difficult to convince myself to be attracted to women... and anyone who thinks they could switch over that easily, is likely gay or bisexual under the surface. We probably all have some tendencies toward that, just not to the degree of being able to have relations with the same sex.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:11 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Question lol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Yeah, that's setting the bar really high...
What does anything Muslim have to do with this debate?. I wonder if anyone can discuss human rights isues (without entering into religion) Not everyone follows the Bible.

Actually, it seems the gay marriage issue is a human rights issue to me- if they are consensual adults, why is our government so interested in legislating/forbidding it. It seems to NOT be about religion, but about $$$.

sunny

Old 02-04-2007, 10:50 AM

603 posts, read 1,995,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So, let me see if I understand this... Christians often say that people shouldn't be so offended, whenever one of their practices/symbols is brought into question. Aren't they usually the ones who speak out against the ACLU, because "we shouldn't have to alter things to accomodate someone who's offended??" But then by your logic, we should deny rights to an entire group, simply because it might upset the sacred Christians. I'm sorry, but you can't have it both ways! Laws shouldn't be enacted just because a group doesn't like something... that sounds more like schoolyard politics to me - "We hate boys, so boys aren't allowed in the clubhouse!!" If laws were made based on individual beliefs & values, we'd never get anything accomplished. But like others have pointed out, marriage is a religious contract, and churches/temples already have the right to decide whether to perform gay weddings. I know gay people who've been married in a church, but these ceremonies aren't recognized by the state... and that's what they're fighting for, so really the religious debate is moot when speaking of LEGAL unions.

P.S. If I misunderstood your specific points, I apologize... but these comments were more generally directed (based on what some Christians & right-wingers say), so don't take them too personally.
Okay, lets get some clarity here. For 1 thing, I'm not religious. For another thing, I'm not a right-winger and voted Dem in the past 2 elections. For yet another thing, I have a really good friend who is gay and he has told me repeatedly that he is totally against the idea of gay marraige because he thinks it goes completely against gay culture and is really mad that they're pushing this so hard. All I'm saying is that we have to respect that people find marriage to be a holy contract under God (this is not just christians folks, this is Jews and Muslims as well) and we must respect that. Why is it so hard to call it a Civil Union? Gimme a break, we're arguing over semantics, but as I said marriage is a loaded word and the gay community would be better served by trying to get civil unions recognized and stop calling it marraige.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
What does anything Muslim have to do with this debate?. I wonder if anyone can discuss human rights isues (without entering into religion) Not everyone follows the Bible.

Actually, it seems the gay marriage issue is a human rights issue to me- if they are consensual adults, why is our government so interested in legislating/forbidding it. It seems to NOT be about religion, but about $$$.

sunny
My response was meant to convey that I would hope that our society would be more progressive and tolerant than that of a theocratically-based Muslim society in the Middle East.

But, I'm not so sure you can separate religion from the gay marriage issue because the justification for banning is the Bible, and the renewed pushes to keep it banned seem to always start with the fundie groups.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:51 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times
I am for gay marriage. Or some kind of recognized bond. Arguing over the word we choose to call it does seem a bit trivial to me.
I see the modern-day legal union as a social contract having no bearing on religious preference.

Gay is not a choice, unless you wish homosexuals to live miserable, lonely lives trying to pretend otherwise. It isn't just about sex...

I can not see how anyone who wishes to make a permanent commitment (or try to, anyway) with a loving partner can be so readily dismissed.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:49 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,380 times
It's always confused me that the stubborn people want to tell me that I chose to be gay...even though I can say over and over with all confidence and honesty that I didn't choose anything except to be happy and free with who I am. Why does someone who is not gay think they can know anything about it? Take it from someone who actually experienced it. My God, we can't all be lying!!

Old 02-04-2007, 07:23 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,908 times
I don't believe for a second that people choose to be gay. Why would they CHOOSE to be gay and with that choice, be discriminated against for the rest of their lives?

That said, let's just say for arguement's sake that people DO choose to be gay. I choose to wear an orange tie to work every day. Like me choosing to wear an orange tie, people choosing to be gay doesn't hurt anyone. Why punish them for it?

Banning gay marriage is like banning marriage between people who like to wear orange clothing. It's absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies