Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

When I came across this I went from being merely unhappy with Ford and GM to being enraged at Ford! I mean, here is the US car maker with its hands out for billions of dollars in US taxpayer backed loans and it is denying US citizens the choice to buy a car that gets 65 miles to the gallon?? WTF kind of crap is this?? Europe is good enough but we are not?? Quit using the lame excuse about "we don't want to buy diesel" and put the damn car on sale HERE in the USA instead of trying to cram big trucks and SUVs down our throats!
The 65 mpg Ford the U.S. Can't Have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 03:40 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,414 times
It's because its diesel.. they said.. BS! They're releasing a new line of diesel powered cars such as the new 2010 Diesel f-150. http://www.fordf150.net/diesel/

Ford is Racist against Americans!

jk

Old 09-07-2008, 03:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
It's because its diesel.. they said.. BS! They're releasing a new line of diesel powered cars such as the new 2010 Diesel f-150. Ford F150 Diesel - 2009 2010 Ford 4.4L V8 Diesel Engine

Ford is Racist against Americans!

jk
Of course it is BS! There are plenty of diesel cars and trucks in the USA now.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Well KevK just maybe it will come here..they (GM & Ford) are asking Congress for $50 billion in low cost loans (to help them fix their costly mistakes I guess).

I'd buy diesel in a heartbeat. Enough diesels get sold then maybe the price of diesel fuel comes down don't you think ?

Old 09-07-2008, 04:04 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,551 times
if you've been to europe, you'll quickly realize that ford's european car portfolio destroys its domestic portfolio. Cars like the new mondeo, euro-focus, fiesta, ka, etc are top vehicles in their respective segments. Ford America is lightyears behind its brother.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:39 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'd buy diesel in a heartbeat.
Then you're part of the vast minority. Americans don't like diesels and don't understand them.

Quote:
Enough diesels get sold then maybe the price of diesel fuel comes down don't you think ?
No. It's a supply and demand issue.

The price of diesel would sky-rocket. You could build new refineries and in about 15 years the price would finally drop, but you'd have filed bankruptcy by then.

It would be faster to modify the existing refineries to handle heavy and intermediate grade oils to make diesel, but that would decrease the quantity of "American Way of Life Chemical Goo Stuff" and prices of all the products you "need" would rise.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I noted the same thing in Mexico. Very, very large numbers of tiny cars, in fact entire taxi fleets, that I have never seen in the US. Whether they are models that are available here or not, I do not know (models are often marketed under different names in different countries). But it looked like there was an abundance of High-MPG cars available to Mexicans. In spite of the fact that their gas is about 70-80 cents cheaper per gallon than in the US.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:35 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Don't blame the auto manufacturer for the habits and preferences of the American consumers. If it was financially viable and the car passed all the safety requirements*, they would be doing it.

* There's a LOT of cars that are sold in Europe that can't be sold here due to them not meeting our safety standards. Safety equipment adds weight, which brings down mileage. Ironically, a lot of the same people who are complaining about not having efficient cars are the same people who pushed for those safety requirements in the first place.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:09 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
>They're releasing a new line of diesel powered cars such as the new 2010 Diesel f-150. http://www.fordf150.net/diesel/<

sigh. That diesel is for a truck. They already do those because there is a built in demand, especially from commercial buyers of F150s.

This is a NEW engine and a totally different animal from what is powering the F150.

Yes, I would like to see them try it. I smell a hit. US automakers already got burned on diesel in the past and are apparently gun shy. It does not help that Im betting at least one goes bye bye in the next 18 mos.

Simple question/ comment. Have you bought a new car in the past 5 years? If so, was a domestic car even in the running? (Note an import could have been purchased, but did you even give a domestic car a shot?) If you answered Yes then no. go away, you are not part of the equation anyway. If you answered any other combo... keep posting.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:05 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Quote:
I'd buy diesel in a heartbeat. Enough diesels get sold then maybe the price of diesel fuel comes down don't you think ?

Actually, not likely......A 55 gallon barrell of oil breaks down something along the lines of 20+ gallons of gasoline, and 8-9 gallons of diesel, the rest is used as "by product" to produce almost everything else we consume, solvents, plastics, rubbers, etc. etc. etc.
The other consideration is the recent (oct 2007) switch to ULSD(Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel), which makes the refining process a couple of steps longer, which obviously increases cost.(Decreases mileage, and increases maintenance concerns at the same time)
The more diesel vehicles that come along will drive the price to new highs, as the demand for a scarcer product becomes higher. The biggest advantage diesel has, is the ability to burn a wider array of bio fuels, vs. a gasoline engine. So using "blended" fuels, combinations of "dino" diesel and "bio" diesel is the future forecast...

I sold my last gasoline burner a couple of months ago, it's all diesel for me now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies