Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is patriotism a virtue or vice?
Virtue 35 61.40%
Vice 22 38.60%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:53 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Patriotism is the love of one's country. How the h-ll is that a vice?
On what basis does one's country have a claim on one's love? Your mother squirted you out on one side of an imaginary line on the globe rather than another, and you're supposed to love the spot where you landed? And, if you're very lucky, kill and die for it?

If that isn't a brain dead substitute for thought, nothing on earth is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 04:00 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Very simple to me.

Patriotism is a virtue when it's displayed without any fanfare, when it's obvious to the observer that it's a natural and proud act.

It's a vice when it's touted and thrown into everyone's face. Half-hearted attempts are as transparent as none at all.

It's like religion. If you are "truly" religous, it's between you and those who share it with you. Not for you to rub into others faces or try to display some sort of supremacy with.
Well said! Humility is a missing ingredient now-a-days.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:56 AM

524 posts, read 942,356 times
I think as with anything, you can fly the banner of patriotism over something good or bad and people will percieve it as such. But I define true 'American Patriotism' as being synonymous with pride in the virtues of our country while working towards correcting its deficiencies. To participate in the voting process that many Americans have died to provide to us. To keep the ‘Founding Principles’, ‘The Constitution’, and the ‘Bill of Rights’ at the forefront of every thought! To do your own research of our beloved history and hold our elected officials accountable!

I have left these quotes on other such blogs but I think that they are important...

George Bernard Shaw: Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it.

George William Curtis: A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle.

John F. Kennedy: Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

George McGovern: The highest patriotism is not a blind acceptance of official policy, but a love of one’s country deep enough to call her to a higher plain.

Calvin Coolidge: Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

Adlai E. Stevenson: Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.

Nathan Hale: I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country.

Andrew Jackson: Every good citizen makes his country’s honor his own, and cherishes it not only as precious but as sacred. He is willing to risk his life in its defense and is conscious that he gains protection while he gives it.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/members/zednemtheadventurer-415571.html

http://www.youtube.com/user/zednemtheadventurer

Old 10-03-2008, 09:07 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,379 times
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice...

Old 10-03-2008, 09:09 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
On what basis does one's country have a claim on one's love? Your mother squirted you out on one side of an imaginary line on the globe rather than another, and you're supposed to love the spot where you landed? And, if you're very lucky, kill and die for it?

If that isn't a brain dead substitute for thought, nothing on earth is.
I guess you're one of those "citizens of the earth"...

Old 10-03-2008, 09:31 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Depends on you're definition of Patriotism! Joe Bidens is paying higher taxes, mine is the traditional view of clinging to my guns and religion, wrapping myself in the flag, love of country , duty and honor. Patriotism, is certainly not as strong with this generation as it was with the "Greatest Generation," and that is a sad thing!

Old 10-03-2008, 09:58 AM

524 posts, read 942,356 times
Right on MamaBee & silas777! Great comments! I gave you both reputation points for those! It is hard to have a battle of wits with unarmed people. God bless America!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:12 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
It is a virtue but it can also be a vice.

virtue wise good as in supporting liberty and freewill for our country and understanding we are blessed for it.

It becomes a vice when patriotism is decided to be not questioning government policies specially when a person's political party is defended at all cost as being patriotic.(nature of the war on "terror")

It becomes a vice when narrowly defined patriotism is considered best for others also ( considering ourselves as superior and spreading Democracy).

Old 10-03-2008, 12:29 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Patriotism to America or our allies is a virtue....patriotism to Russia, North Korea, Cuba, China, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan or Saudi Arabia is a vice.

Patriotism to Mexico is the biggest vice when practiced by illegal immigrant.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:08 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Patriotism to America or our allies is a virtue....patriotism to Russia, North Korea, Cuba, China, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan or Saudi Arabia is a vice.

Patriotism to Mexico is the biggest vice when practiced by illegal immigrant.
Now this is where thinking being American #1 is skewed when a person starts thinking other people in other countries can't possibly and don't have right to feel patriotic toward their country just because we don't think their system is as good.This is how we get into meddling in conflicts and nation building without stopping to think it out first and considering the complexities of other civilizations.

You may wonder why a person in Russia or Iran would love their country but they have pride also and if you think America can justfully police the world based on the assumption that our way is the only right way we are going to be involved in more death and spending by nation building,and maybe bringing a death blow to our beloved America.

They might not feel patriotic toward their leaders but don't be naive to think they don't love their country and won't defend it from outside influence....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies