Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:24 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times

Advertisements

I want free press and open access to the internet. I have no faith in the government and the corporate institutions involved.

I'll keep the discourse open between the elected officials (read fools) and me so my opinion is relayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
Oh believe me i've heard this for about 2 years now.

This is one of the worst ideas they've ever came up with.

You can't just say no internet. The internet is an infrastructure of many different computer servers.

The WWW is the software that enables you to use that. And if the government was retarded enough(don't get me wrong this one is) to charge the richest of people would be broke by going from their server to say yahoo.com because for me to get to here it takes about 30 hops. and they want to charge per hop. and lets say they charge 5 dollars 30 x 5 = 150 dollars just to get to city-data.com. That's stupid. The government has no concept of the evolved Infrastructure of the Internet. It's no longer just the DOD it's the world.

The government may have the idea of what started, but they don't OWN the Internet. You take away yahoo, who does offer the internet there goes so many people it's not funny. Then you just keep taking away until you have Verizon, Sprint, Bell South, and the others. They would have no money. Because it would literally have to be free to connect to the server to make it almost worth while, but once you take that third hop, you're pretty much screwed.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:31 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I want free press and open access to the internet. I have no faith in the government and the corporate institutions involved.

I'll keep the discourse open between the elected officials (read fools) and me so my opinion is relayed.
Oh I don't blame you, it's bad enough that they want to charge us more for everything else. This is basically the only way I get to see the state I want to move to (CA) for free.

And now they want to charge for that.

I'll take a drive around the U.S before I let them charge me more than it already costs for the crappy access I get. I don't have 56K, but it's bad enough.

I'd help, but my representative couldn't careless for anyone, but himself. Which is why I never bother anymore. He's told people it's not my problem. I didn't vote for the jerk. So I refuse to deal with the incompetent jerk.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:35 PM

Okay I just re-read this. It says nothing about charging people for anything.

My bad!

Old 02-06-2007, 08:39 PM

So they are arguing now that if they can't charge they want to be able to tell you what sites you can see.

Well, this, I don't know.
It would be hard to place blocks on all the stuff. And it would be easy to fool the ISP servers.

Telecom companies don't think very well.

And besides, if they did that, some people would have a hay day with ISP servers.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
For those concerned with internet freedom and open source issues, you might want to bookmark:

eff.org

and

slashdot.org

Old 02-06-2007, 09:05 PM

http://www.netfreedom.org/ (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies