Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:56 PM

569 posts, read 1,231,264 times

Advertisements

I must be living under a rock!

I'm curious to know a couple of things: who the hell is Ted Haggard and why should I care? I'm am usually pretty up to date on current events but I have never heard of this guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 05:10 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,205,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
From Fire Dog Lake:

DENVER - One of four ministers who oversaw three weeks of intensive counseling for the Rev. Ted Haggard said the disgraced minister emerged convinced that he is "completely heterosexual."

What a crock. I can't believe that there are so many people out there gullible enough to believe that after three weeks of "intensive therapy", someone who has been attracted to men his whole life is suddenly "cured" (as if being gay was some kind of disease or something). Conversion therapy was debunked by legitimate science and psychology long ago, yet these fundies are so filled with self-loathing that they will desperately grab onto anything that allows them to fool themselves into thinking that they're not what they hate.

Imagine being this guy's wife- being so desperate to hang onto an illusion that you would take him back knowing deep down that he digs men.
It's wrong to criticize someone's downfall. If you think so about him it would be better to say nothing at all. He can be forgiven IF he truly repents, and can turn away from is perverted sick sin of homosexuality, it is possible. We have no idea what God can do in the heart. One chooses to be gay, one chooses to be involved in this abominable lifestyle plain and simple.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:11 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,205,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
I must be living under a rock!

I'm curious to know a couple of things: who the hell is Ted Haggard and why should I care? I'm am usually pretty up to date on current events but I have never heard of this guy.
In a way, it's good you don't.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:29 PM

32 posts, read 157,552 times
Default Haggard

Sure this guy got straight all right! When he is REALLY ready to meet face to face with the "man in the mirror", he'll be alone and need God! Imagine the relief when he finds out who he really is and I hope his wife has woken up. If she hasn't then the jewelry better be good! Ya think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
From Fire Dog Lake:

DENVER - One of four ministers who oversaw three weeks of intensive counseling for the Rev. Ted Haggard said the disgraced minister emerged convinced that he is "completely heterosexual."

What a crock. I can't believe that there are so many people out there gullible enough to believe that after three weeks of "intensive therapy", someone who has been attracted to men his whole life is suddenly "cured" (as if being gay was some kind of disease or something). Conversion therapy was debunked by legitimate science and psychology long ago, yet these fundies are so filled with self-loathing that they will desperately grab onto anything that allows them to fool themselves into thinking that they're not what they hate.

Imagine being this guy's wife- being so desperate to hang onto an illusion that you would take him back knowing deep down that he digs men.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:26 PM

702 posts, read 2,528,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
It's wrong to criticize someone's downfall. If you think so about him it would be better to say nothing at all. He can be forgiven IF he truly repents, and can turn away from is perverted sick sin of homosexuality, it is possible. We have no idea what God can do in the heart. One chooses to be gay, one chooses to be involved in this abominable lifestyle plain and simple.
WOW!! Thanks for telling me that! I always thought that I was born this way, and I don't remember ever making the choice to be gay. But if you are sure that it's due to the environment I grew up in and you know for a fact what I (and millions of others) feel and we have made a choice to feel this way...well then I guess I should take your word for it. Right?

I grew up in a christian, church-oriented family. My two heterosexual parents are still married, and my mom didn't work for most of my childhood so she could be there after school. They both spent a lot of time with us kids to help with school and hobbies and things we wanted to do. I played basketball, football (thru 8th grade), softball, etc, and was and still am a huge sports fan. The only knowledge I ever had of gay people was negative stereotypes and derogatory comments I heard. I dated girls and had a 4 year relationship until I was 21. It was about as normal a childhood as I could ask for and I did everything I was supposed to for becoming a heterosexual. I even secretly hoped and prayed that the attraction I felt for guys would go away. I just can't figure out how in the world my upbringing made me gay!

Ted Haggard is selfish for dragging innocent people through his confusion, but I also feel for someone like him. All gay people go through inner turmoil and fear of what will happen if we go ahead and admit it. It's only after it's been said and done that we realize the weight of the burden we had been carrying and it suddenly feels really good...and then life begins...

Even as hateful as he has been in the past, teaching and ministering about the evils of homosexuality and speaking out against same-sex marriage, I still hope he comes to terms with it and is able to be who he REALLY is...or he's gonna end up an old man in a gay chat room talking dirty to young boys. The world doesn't have NEARLY enough of those...

Old 02-11-2007, 02:56 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,205,380 times
Quote:
I think most gays would tell you it's not a choice. Would you deliberately choose to be ostracized by a portion of the public? I doubt it.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:03 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,205,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Ted Haggard is selfish for dragging innocent people through his confusion, but I also feel for someone like him. All gay people go through inner turmoil and fear of what will happen if we go ahead and admit it. It's only after it's been said and done that we realize the weight of the burden we had been carrying and it suddenly feels really good...and then life begins...
You know what? I think the difference between straight people and gay people is that straight people NEVER have a desire for someone of their own sex. They just don't. It has nothing to do with upbringing or anything else. They simply don't desire sex with someone the same sex as them.

I'm a woman and women are notorious for being very friendly to each other (hugging, etc.) but that is how women are. Women are nurturers and they have always been more friendly towards each other than men are -- but I think the dividing line is sex. If you don't desire sex with another woman, you're just not a lesbian.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:11 AM

702 posts, read 2,528,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I'm a woman and women are notorious for being very friendly to each other (hugging, etc.) but that is how women are. Women are nurturers and they have always been more friendly towards each other than men are -- but I think the dividing line is sex. If you don't desire sex with another woman, you're just not a lesbian.

And men are notorious for encouraging women to be friendly to one another, friendlier than hugging... What a strange thing it is that so many straight men get off on lesbian sex, but when it comes to sex between gay men it suddenly becomes unnatural or sinful...

Old 02-11-2007, 10:00 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,257,499 times
Quote:
He is a spiritual leader- it is his professional that leaves him open to such criticism- telling people what is right and wrong while he is living a double life that involves homosexuality and drug abuse, all the while preaching against it. It's the blatant hypocrisy that is his life that holds him up to criticism.

It would be like Laura Bush taking a high profile role stumping against heart disease, telling others how to prevent it all the while being a smoker. Oh, wait...nevermind

It would be like Newt Gingrich championing family values when he had an affair while his wife was being treated for cancer. Oh, wait....nevermind.

And as to that statement- "One chooses to be gay." You go girl! That's just a brillant truth. I work with someone who has discontinued her blood pressure medication, saying that she is just not going to allow Satan to enter her body. So one choses to be gay and I guess one chooses to hold an open house for Satan when taken ill. I never knew that it was all so simple.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:07 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,163,130 times
You are nicer than I am, hereinfla.

I see a narrow mind operating in a field of dying sun-flowers.

Gay is not a choice.

God may or may not have a heart! But if one is a true believer that he or she will remember that Jesus Christ forgave sin without judgment.

And if there is this special God, I find it not only improbable but impossible that he or she considers a life-style more abominable than the person who judges abomination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies