Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 06:29 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
Bla,
Who cares if it was Nixon's fault, Bush's fault, Clinton's fault, Joe-Six-Pack, wine sipping yuppy, or corporation's fault.... what are we going to do now?

I'm sure some are running away and hiding.... I'm sure some are shoring up finances... I'm sure some are doing far worse (the suicide rates have probably gone up)... but what are we, the remainder going to do?

-chuck22b
I'm a basic, economically unsophisticated kind of guy as some of you have figured out by now .... I'd say in addition to the investment advice others will give you, get some gold and junk silver if you can, in order to preserve capital. You can sell it as needed to buy dollars with it, especially to keep making your mortgage payments. That's not hiding, it's simply being sensible about not knowing yet which way the winds are going to blow next.

I suppose property is going to go a lot further down, but it will always have some value, just like precious metals .... as long as it's all paid for.

I was surprised last year to find out a junk silver dime had a value of about $1 each. An ammo box full of them was maybe $10,000. Thieves don't generally steal dimes (except your kids might, and use them as ordinary dimes).

You said a couple of days ago that you have a pantry. I think that's a good idea. And have the means to defend it, even though things hopefully won't get that bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 06:36 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,578 times
Quote:
Bla,
Who cares if it was Nixon's fault, Bush's fault, Clinton's fault, Joe-Six-Pack, wine sipping yuppy, or corporation's fault.... what are we going to do now?
Probably whine and try to blame everybody else while we all spiral down the drain. That seems to be what America's all about anymore.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:35 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
Quote:

I'm sure some are running away and hiding.... I'm sure some are shoring up finances... I'm sure some are doing far worse (the suicide rates have probably gone up)... but what are we, the remainder going to do?

-chuck22b
As a former wine-sipping yuppie, I'm probably going to build a wine cellar that will double as a bomb shelter/safe room, where I can hoard fine wine and gold coins from my greedy, thirsty, shotgun-toting neighbors.

I might have lost my hope for an early retirement (or possibly any retirement at all), but I'm holding tight to my sense of humor... unless the market drops another 500 points tomorrow. Then I might lose that, too.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
you left out an important element to the reagan doctrine---. debt is a meaningless concept. which was a shock to the the academic world none of the professors or world economic gurus knew that.. but ronnie had learned that. you learn so much in hollywood.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:24 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,339 times
I love the trickle down part too, rich people create jobs don't you know? And we have to make these slave owners happy otherwise they don't make you a Taco Bell job ya hear boy?

Nah...I'll take my chances raising these people's taxes; if you understand the theory of marginal utility and the human trait of greed in the context of being removed from any "social consciousness" (what you cynics might have seen in the form of caring for another human being against your economic interest, an obviously economically irrational position) you'd realize that trickle down economics is BS. Rich people (i.e. those who no longer depend on their labor to afford twice their cost of living) hoarde money to hedge their position against yours. It's not personal, it's economic darwinism. Marginal utility proves that they'll buy a third boat and give the rest to charity before investing time (costs money) and money (costs more money) in creating you another Taco bell job that might return them an extra buck when they have a thousand more already, marginally. No thanks Ronnie, I'll take my taxes if it means we get this country back in the black and in some form of real production economy and/or a monetary policy that makes it more economically worthwile for me to actually buy toilet paper with a dollar rather than using the literal dollar to wipe my ***** with.

Reagonomics...that and $2.10 gets me a cup of coffee (yesterday anyways).

Old 09-17-2008, 09:58 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I love the trickle down part too, rich people create jobs don't you know? And we have to make these slave owners happy otherwise they don't make you a Taco Bell job ya hear boy?

Nah...I'll take my chances raising these people's taxes; if you understand the theory of marginal utility and the human trait of greed in the context of being removed from any "social consciousness" (what you cynics might have seen in the form of caring for another human being against your economic interest, an obviously economically irrational position) you'd realize that trickle down economics is BS. Rich people (i.e. those who no longer depend on their labor to afford twice their cost of living) hoarde money to hedge their position against yours. It's not personal, it's economic darwinism. Marginal utility proves that they'll buy a third boat and give the rest to charity before investing time (costs money) and money (costs more money) in creating you another Taco bell job that might return them an extra buck when they have a thousand more already, marginally. No thanks Ronnie, I'll take my taxes if it means we get this country back in the black and in some form of real production economy and/or a monetary policy that makes it more economically worthwile for me to actually buy toilet paper with a dollar rather than using the literal dollar to wipe my ***** with.

Reagonomics...that and $2.10 gets me a cup of coffee (yesterday anyways).
Hey what are you some kind of LIBERAL or something. Or maybe you're an al-Qaeda supporter! Eating crumbs off rich folks tables is all you're entitled to. Get with the Republican program and get over your "mental recession".

Old 09-17-2008, 10:07 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times
Quote:
Bla,
Who cares if it was Nixon's fault, Bush's fault, Clinton's fault, Joe-Six-Pack, wine sipping yuppy, or corporation's fault....

-chuck22b
Because lack of responsibility and accountability is how we got here. People need to be held accountable esp. the power brokers. If you screwed up like this you'd be in jail, why isn't Bush & his cronies along with dozens of CEOs?

Old 09-17-2008, 10:18 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
As a former wine-sipping yuppie, I'm probably going to build a wine cellar that will double as a bomb shelter/safe room, where I can hoard fine wine and gold coins from my greedy, thirsty, shotgun-toting neighbors.

I might have lost my hope for an early retirement (or possibly any retirement at all), but I'm holding tight to my sense of humor... unless the market drops another 500 points tomorrow. Then I might lose that, too.

YouTube - Life of Brian - Bright Side of Life (Immaculate Edition)

Old 09-18-2008, 01:07 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Because lack of responsibility and accountability is how we got here. People need to be held accountable esp. the power brokers. If you screwed up like this you'd be in jail, why isn't Bush & his cronies along with dozens of CEOs?
I think the prison system is already over crowded... and we'd have to build the "resort" prisons for these folks. Over regulation isn't really the key either... even sarbanes oxley didn't really prevent anything but raise a lot of overhead for smaller companies.

I do agree that there should be some responsibility and accountability though.... but that'll happen after we find a little more stable footing. Enron eventually got punished... I think some folks at Ameriquest got prosecuted, etc. This time though, there may be too many crooks to even figure out where to start.

But, Americans though, should stop bickering... and figure out how to solve problems, get back to work, etc. The DA, and attorneys... if they do their jobs will do the prosecution when things stabilize.

-chuck22b

Old 09-18-2008, 01:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
It would take a full volume to refute the economic ignorance on display in this one single thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies