Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,893 times

Advertisements

Why does America hate black people so much? I think the media has a lot to do with it.
Whenever there is a pole on the news, it always puts blacks against whites and visa versa. I come from a very diverse family. I am a black woman my husband is Latino and his father is white (stepfather). I am not racist by any means but get very angry when I read some commits on these forums. Ever race has its bad bunch. People are people know matter their color. Yes, there are racist blacks and racist whites and we both seem to feed off of each other. I hear many white people say they are tired of hearing about slavery. It’s as if they want it to go away. That is part of our history something very real that happened to our ancestors. Why should we forget? We don’t forget because we cannot, we are faced with racism every day and I am sure some white people would say they are also, which I’m sure some are to some extent. I hear people say that other race’s had it worst. Like the Indians and the Jewish. It was all-bad, should have never happened, and was all due to the color of their skin. We were all beat, hanged burned alive, had our kids taken from us etc… Do I want white people today to pay for what their ancestors did, no but I want them to stop judging us because of the music we listen to, the cloths we wear and because we wont forget what our people had to go through! Yes, there are black people that deal drugs and there are white people that deal drugs also. There are white people that kill and hate black people and black people that kill and hate white people. .Shouldn’t the fight be against the people that are bring the drugs into the country (the individual) not the race because honestly black people can‘t afford to bring pounds and pounds of drugs into the country. We (black people can be loud some times but trust me I work in a city ER so can every other race. I can go on and on about what white people do and don’t do and I can do the same for black people. Every thing that one race does the other one does any one that says different is just a liar and are probably a racist! I just want people to see that being racist because this race does this or doesn’t do this is just stupid because I’m sure what ever you say negative about one race can be said for your race!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 09:40 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,747,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monie23 View Post
Why does America hate black people so much?
I don't think America hates all black people. I think America hates black people (or any color of people) that are not good citizens, don't speak correct English, wear their pants hanging down to their knees, out of wedlock births, glorify gang activity, shun education, commit crimes, etc. These things are done by all colors, no doubt. Those are things or type of person that people hate more than a color.

Personally I think it becomes more of a black white issue because blacks are believed to fall into that category more. I'm not saying that is true, but that's how a lot of people see it. Could the media be at the root of it? Absolutely.

But by and large would you say that black people in general are doing a good job of representing their race? It's about an image problem and I think a lot of people in the black community have an image problem with how they portray their own people.

Nobody has a problem with blacks that work, pay their bills, are educated, etc. Just the same as whites, browns, etc. The problem comes (like in my first paragraph) when people expect handouts or don't do their share. Too many people take more than they give. So to answer your first question, I would say that if you think America hates black people that it's because they seem the majority of them falling into that undesirable category I described above.

How can blacks changes that? Become educated, hold jobs, pull up their pants, speak correctly, don't committ crimes, get the chip off their shoulder, contribute to their community instead of taking from it, etc. It starts with them. You can never change someone elses mind, but you can make changes yourself that may lead to them changing their mind.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:55 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Quote:
Why does America hate black people so much? I think the media has a lot to do with it.
Whenever there is a pole on the news, it always puts blacks against whites and visa versa. I come from a very diverse family. I am a black woman my husband is Latino and his father is white (stepfather). I am not racist by any means but get very angry when I read some commits on these forums. Ever race has its bad bunch. People are people know matter their color. Yes, there are racist blacks and racist whites and we both seem to feed off of each other. I hear many white people say they are tired of hearing about slavery. It’s as if they want it to go away. That is part of our history something very real that happened to our ancestors. Why should we forget? We don’t forget because we cannot, we are faced with racism every day and I am sure some white people would say they are also, which I’m sure some are to some extent. I hear people say that other race’s had it worst. Like the Indians and the Jewish. It was all-bad, should have never happened, and was all due to the color of their skin. We were all beat, hanged burned alive, had our kids taken from us etc… Do I want white people today to pay for what their ancestors did, no but I want them to stop judging us because of the music we listen to, the cloths we wear and because we wont forget what our people had to go through! Yes, there are black people that deal drugs and there are white people that deal drugs also. There are white people that kill and hate black people and black people that kill and hate white people. .Shouldn’t the fight be against the people that are bring the drugs into the country (the individual) not the race because honestly black people can‘t afford to bring pounds and pounds of drugs into the country. We (black people can be loud some times but trust me I work in a city ER so can every other race. I can go on and on about what white people do and don’t do and I can do the same for black people. Every thing that one race does the other one does any one that says different is just a liar and are probably a racist! I just want people to see that being racist because this race does this or doesn’t do this is just stupid because I’m sure what ever you say negative about one race can be said for your race!!
See I can work with this and get along great with you as you're willing to meet half way. I think the ugly reactions come to the Jessies and the Als (which I learn more and more every day do not speak for the average black person) and those who are militant in thier attitudes. I can't work with that.

The specific answer to the part I bolded is that very few whites as far as I know aren't saying the "dont' want to hear about it" at all. You're correct in that it is a part of our history that needs to be told and learned by all. The problem comes when it is still being used today as an excuse.

Racism I can buy as a reason for many problems that blacks face, but there are some that bring up slavery as a matter of convenience whenever things aren't going thier way and that is where I typically wave my hands and say "no way!!!! Not going to let you go there without a response."

Old 06-22-2007, 10:37 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,478,176 times
Quote:
Why does America hate black people so much?
I disagree, America doesn't hate black people. Just turn on the television, the radio, or go to the movies. A disproportionately large amount (considering that black people make up about 12% of the population) of American media is either made by black people, or targeted toward black people. I think underrepresentation of blacks in the media has long stopped being a problem.

Quote:
Whenever there is a pole on the news, it always puts blacks against whites and visa versa. I come from a very diverse family. I am a black woman my husband is Latino and his father is white (stepfather). I am not racist by any means but get very angry when I read some commits on these forums. Ever race has its bad bunch. People are people know matter their color. Yes, there are racist blacks and racist whites and we both seem to feed off of each other.
I agree with your statements here. I also agree, the news media does like to pit different sides against each other. It makes for a 'hot topic', and they get more viewers, and make more money. Just look at the Duke Lacrosse case.

It's not just national media. Where I live, the local newspapers go out looking for a racial controversy, and they give it as much publicity as possible. It polarizes people, and causes them to look at each other as enemies, rather than looking for compromises to their problems.

Quote:
I hear many white people say they are tired of hearing about slavery. It’s as if they want it to go away. That is part of our history something very real that happened to our ancestors. Why should we forget? We don’t forget because we cannot, we are faced with racism every day and I am sure some white people would say they are also, which I’m sure some are to some extent.
I think you are misunderstanding the issue. People, white or black, aren't saying "Let's forget it ever happened." They are saying, "Please quit using slavery as something to blame for all your modern-day problems."

Quote:
I hear people say that other race’s had it worst. Like the Indians and the Jewish. It was all-bad, should have never happened, and was all due to the color of their skin. We were all beat, hanged burned alive, had our kids taken from us etc… Do I want white people today to pay for what their ancestors did, no but I want them to stop judging us because of the music we listen to, the cloths we wear and because we wont forget what our people had to go through! Yes, there are black people that deal drugs and there are white people that deal drugs also. There are white people that kill and hate black people and black people that kill and hate white people.
Huh?

Some people are judgemental of rap music because it constantly talks about murdering people, mistreating women, materialism, etc., etc. But as far as black music in general, I don't see anyone out there being judgemental of Marvin Gaye, The Meters, James Brown, Miles Davis, Al Green, John Lee Hooker, Parliament/Funkadelic, or thousands of other black artists, because their music isn't fundamentally based on shock value.

I'd like to add, "Black" music has been completely adopted by mainstream "White" culture. I see plenty of white kids wearing "urban clothing" designed by blacks, and basically mimicing black culture in any way they can.

And you have to understand that while I feel great sympathy for your ancestors, I don't feel the same sympathy for you. Nobody is trying to forget about slavery - in fact, a monument in my town is being built right now in memorial of race riots in the 1800's. Another city not far away is building a museum of slavery. There is an article in the newspaper about slavery, at least once a week. I can definitely say that nobody is trying to forget about it here - I don't know where it is that you live.

Quote:
Shouldn’t the fight be against the people that are bring the drugs into the country (the individual) not the race because honestly black people can‘t afford to bring pounds and pounds of drugs into the country. We (black people can be loud some times but trust me I work in a city ER so can every other race. I can go on and on about what white people do and don’t do and I can do the same for black people. Every thing that one race does the other one does any one that says different is just a liar and are probably a racist! I just want people to see that being racist because this race does this or doesn’t do this is just stupid because I’m sure what ever you say negative about one race can be said for your race!!
Agreed - but, aren't you perpetuating your own negative stereotype about blacks?

"honestly black people can‘t afford to bring pounds and pounds of drugs into the country"

Isn't that itself a "Racist" statement?

Old 06-22-2007, 10:46 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,412,329 times
I think alot of Black people pull "the race card" waaaayyyy too much. Its very easy for someone to do this over something so simple, that makes people edgy and back away from the situation altogether.

I think the media reports more on white people being racist than anything else. The attacks on the hispanic guy on junteenth (i think thats it) are a huge example, that barely got any coverage at all. That Sharpton chap who got Imus sacked, that was all about Race too, the media never jumped on that. Violent groups fascinate me, and when I say that I have a need to know motivation etc etc. I dont support it, but I study it when possible. Ive seen countless documentaries on KKK, Neo Nazi and other white racist groups but am yet to see one on Mexican, Afro American Racist groups on major TV. Because if they do show it, all of a sudden the TV companies are racist.

The reason why people are sick of talking about slaver is that most of us were around (or old enough) to make an impact on that. I dont expect people from England to come apologise to me for their country raping Ireland, killing and starving millions of people and religios persecution. Why ? Because most of the people alive today werent around then. Let it go.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:08 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,719 times
Quote:

Here's a story for you that happened many years ago when I was going to school but it has stuck in my head like it was yesterday.

I was a waitress in a cocktail lounge. There was also a black waitress. No matter what went wrong I had to listen to "it's because I'm black". If someone didn't tip, "it's because I'm black” (note I did not hear this if it was another black that did not tip).

I never once thought "it's because I'm white if a black person didn't tip me, even if that may have been the case. This waitress never even considered the possibility that maybe someone did not have any more money to tip, or the customer was not happy with the service or product or maybe they were just cheap. I listened to that for three years. Anytime she complained about anything I responded by, "it's because you're black" and walked away.

I do not believe its racism or hating blacks. No one likes a whiner and there is no one living today that should be held responsible for what some ancestor did before they were even born. Blacks should take their outrage to Africa and their own ancestors that sold them into slavery to begin with.

All the black friends I have hate hearing the race card, hate hearing about slavery and hate how black leaders continue to keep blacks down by reminding them of every injustice throughout history. How can anyone rise above and move on when they live in the past.

It’s not the color of your skin, it's not hate, it’s the whining

Old 06-22-2007, 11:14 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,747,514 times
All excellent posts that I agree with!!
There's some great points there. I think what white people hate the most is when black people always pull the race card. And they do it all the time, it's like it's their crutch in life. They use it for every excuse they can come up with.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:47 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I think alot of Black people pull "the race card" waaaayyyy too much. Its very easy for someone to do this over something so simple, that makes people edgy and back away from the situation altogether.

I think the media reports more on white people being racist than anything else. The attacks on the hispanic guy on junteenth (i think thats it) are a huge example, that barely got any coverage at all. That Sharpton chap who got Imus sacked, that was all about Race too, the media never jumped on that. Violent groups fascinate me, and when I say that I have a need to know motivation etc etc. I dont support it, but I study it when possible. Ive seen countless documentaries on KKK, Neo Nazi and other white racist groups but am yet to see one on Mexican, Afro American Racist groups on major TV. Because if they do show it, all of a sudden the TV companies are racist.

The reason why people are sick of talking about slaver is that most of us were around (or old enough) to make an impact on that. I don't expect people from England to come apologise to me for their country raping Ireland, killing and starving millions of people and religios persecution. Why ? Because most of the people alive today werent around then. Let it go.
Excellent post. If it was a mob of white people that dragged the guy from the car we would have heard of nothing else on all the major networks. CNN would have done a special on how we have returned to the day when white people lynch and murder minorities. Jackson and Sharpton would be hitting the TV circuits talking about how racist white people are.

But because the perpetrators of the mob violence were black, the media are not only giving them a pass they're outright covering it up for the most part. But we need to keep in mind most of the media in this country is liberal and has an agenda. So to answer monie23's initial question. Why does America hate black people so much? The answer is America doesn't. America for the most part caters to minorities. Americans cater to minorities with affirmative action, civil rights protection, and a host of other special programs. Most all Americans just want people of all races to be treated equally and with respect. If you do something positive you should get credit for it. If you do something negative you should take responsibility for it and be held accountable.

I think in many cases minorities, black people included, just don't like being treated as equals. They want all the benefits and privileges of being Americans but don't want to be held to the same standards as white people. Frequently when they are, they yell racism, and the liberal agenda driven media runs with it.

Look at the three Duke athletes. Jackson, Sharpton and a dozen others all jumped on the band wagon grabbing as much air time as they could all calling the three guys everything that they could think of. Sharpton himself went on the air claiming it was a return to the days of slavery where white males would frequently rape black females and get away with it. Sharpton said all this knowing that at least one of the players had an airtight alibi. In addition Sharpton knew the female had a history of making false rape complaints. Still he yelled racism and the media ran with it.

I don't think white people hate black people as monie23 ascertained. I think white people just hate the double standard that exists.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:53 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,912 times
The media has somewhat had a hand in the racial disconnect as far as tv shows and news. You say it doesn't represent Blacks well but I think it creates unrealistic images of Whites also. I'll use myself as an example. As a Black kid growing up, all I saw were images of White people being rich and happy. I couldn't conceive of White people having to stuggle to pay bills. That is until Roseanne came out with her show, LOL. It wasn't until I went to college that I realized how Blacks and Whites really could relate to each other on a lot of things. The media has helped to re-inforce this attitude that Blacks have against Whites ie, "White people don't know what its like to be poor", "White people don't understand struggle" which creates further disconnect.

Now, I do take issue with the drug dealing part of your post. So what if someone else flew the **** over here? Nobody held a gun to the Black dealer's head to distribute it. I grew up during the crack era and my family did a great job of keeping ourselves away from it. How? We saw how it destroyed lives and made the choice NOT to get involved with it. Let's get real and take some personal responsibility here.

As far as being judged, that will never stop as long as hardcore racists exist. I work, graduated from college, pay taxes, am a home owner, etc. That won't matter to a hardcore racist because all they see is my skin. However, if I let their attitudes affect me I certainly wouldn't be where I am today. I learned a long time ago that racism isn't going away anytime soon. So am I supposed to just lay down and cry and not even try to succeed because of it? Puh-leeese! It hasn't stopped me yet and its not going to.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:00 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,167,649 times
I think whites get a bad rap for being white. I guess Whites are the cause for all the problems in this country.

I, too, get tired of people using slavery as an excuse to thier **** poor lives. Educate yourself, better your life and stop the complaining and blaming everything on everyone else.

Oh and Yes OP there is bad in every race/color. I cannot deny that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies