Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:32 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
<sigh> I think your post are a prime example of why our country is in dire need of mandatory macro/micro economic courses.
I don't see where that would make a difference since economists don't all agree on one course of action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
That's one way to look at it. It took a long time for Japan to recover - if I remember correctly, their GDP was like ours is now for years.

Why do you think a bailout is Washington hysteria? What exactly do you think the American public should endure for 700 billion and for how long? Why do think Bernanke supported this bail out? Serious questions.

I thought this was an interesting article. It gives both perspectives.
The bailout: How it may help and how it may hurt - Sep. 22, 2008
Note that this whole debacle happened on Bernanke's watch. That does something to his credibility IMO.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:34 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
The government doesn't have any money. It is going to have to borrow money to pay for the bailout. In effect, the government is competing against all those businesses for whatever "credit" is available. So how is continued government borrowing and spending going to help the economy?

Investors got lazy and didn't do their homework with their investments. Now they're whining about their losses. Let the market bury the losers--that is what a "free market" is for. Isn't it? New competent, savvy investors will arise from the cinders. Time to clean house and get rid of the dead wood.

This bail out is designed to look after the alleged "risk takers". I have not been living beyond my means. I did not buy 12 houses to flip, and I certainly did not buy any mortgage-backed securities. So why should I help bail out the dummies. During the 30's a lot of people lost money, but a lot of people made money also. Time to get rid of the old guard.

We maybe cutting our noses, but the government and these "investor" thugs are going to cut our throats.
Beautifully said, except I think that this criminal administration wanted to pull one more heist before crawling back under a rock. "Ocean's 11" without the finesse.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:40 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Beautifully said, except I think that this criminal administration wanted to pull one more heist before crawling back under a rock. "Ocean's 11" without the finesse.
Its like Bush had an agenda to bankrupt the middle class and give everything to the rich when he can to office - and he pulled it off

Old 09-23-2008, 07:45 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
*shakes head* You just don't get it, do you? Wake up people! This is the price we must pay for a nation that has lived beyond its means for way too long.
what about those of us who do not live beyond our means?

Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
For all the people who want to say that Dems cannot see the light of day because we need to blame someone (Bush) I have to say this: for the last several years, the rich have been getting richer while the poor continue to get poorer! Now that the rich are in trouble, they are asking the poor to help them when there is no help for the poor. Republicans do not like the idea of a welfare system, do not like the idea of providing health insurance for those who cannot afford it! BUT...by all means, let us help those who have more money than ever needed! Greed got these companies in these situations, lets make them take responsiblity! Where is their accountability??? The CEO who pockets millions of dollars should help rebuild what he lost! Not me! Not the average working person! But the men at the top who continue to allow greed to run their lives should have to take the fall! Look back at Enron! You can't tell me that what happened was fair to any of the average working employees. This is similar! This is on a larger scale but I feel no need to help out someone who pocketed from his or her bonus check a six figure bonus or more and I should not have to help that person out or that company! This is not a matter of Rep vs. Dem, this is a matter of what is ethical and what is not! Greed got the best of these companies and I should not be responsible for it!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:56 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
For all the people who want to say that Dems cannot see the light of day because we need to blame someone (Bush) I have to say this: for the last several years, the rich have been getting richer while the poor continue to get poorer! Now that the rich are in trouble, they are asking the poor to help them when there is no help for the poor. Republicans do not like the idea of a welfare system, do not like the idea of providing health insurance for those who cannot afford it! BUT...by all means, let us help those who have more money than ever needed! Greed got these companies in these situations, lets make them take responsiblity! Where is their accountability??? The CEO who pockets millions of dollars should help rebuild what he lost! Not me! Not the average working person! But the men at the top who continue to allow greed to run their lives should have to take the fall! Look back at Enron! You can't tell me that what happened was fair to any of the average working employees. This is similar! This is on a larger scale but I feel no need to help out someone who pocketed from his or her bonus check a six figure bonus or more and I should not have to help that person out or that company! This is not a matter of Rep vs. Dem, this is a matter of what is ethical and what is not! Greed got the best of these companies and I should not be responsible for it!
You be right. They cancelled all my posts so Ill leave it up to others to tell the truth about this sick commie plot by Bush

Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Default How the Bush Administration Stopped the States From Stepping In to Help Consumers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Because they hate republicans and this is a good chance to blame them.
Several years ago, state attorneys general and others involved in consumer protection began to notice a marked increase in a range of predatory lending practices by mortgage lenders. Some were misrepresenting the terms of loans, making loans without regard to consumers' ability to repay, making loans with deceptive "teaser" rates that later ballooned astronomically, packing loans with undisclosed charges and fees, or even paying illegal kickbacks. These and other practices, we noticed, were having a devastating effect on home buyers. In addition, the widespread nature of these practices, if left unchecked, threatened our financial markets.
Even though predatory lending was becoming a national problem, the Bush administration looked the other way and did nothing to protect American homeowners. In fact, the government chose instead to align itself with the banks that were victimizing consumers.

Predatory lending was widely understood to present a looming national crisis. This threat was so clear that as New York attorney general, I joined with colleagues in the other 49 states in attempting to fill the void left by the federal government. Individually, and together, state attorneys general of both parties brought litigation or entered into settlements with many subprime lenders that were engaged in predatory lending practices. Several state legislatures, including New York's, enacted laws aimed at curbing such practices.

What did the Bush administration do in response? Did it reverse course and decide to take action to halt this burgeoning scourge? As Americans are now painfully aware, with hundreds of thousands of homeowners facing foreclosure and our markets reeling, the answer is a resounding no.
Not only did the Bush administration do nothing to protect consumers, it embarkedIn 2003, during the height of the predatory lending crisis, the OCC invoked a clause from the 1863 National Bank Act to issue formal opinions preempting all state predatory lending laws, thereby rendering them inoperative. The OCC also promulgated new rules that prevented states from enforcing any of their own consumer protection laws against national banks. The federal government's actions were so egregious and so unprecedented that all 50 state attorneys general, and all 50 state banking superintendents, actively fought the new rules.
But the unanimous opposition of the 50 states did not deter, or even slow, the Bush administration in its goal of protecting the banks. In fact, when my office opened an investigation of possible discrimination in mortgage lending by a number of banks, the OCC filed a federal lawsuit to stop the investigation.

In 2003, during the height of the predatory lending crisis, the OCC invoked a clause from the 1863 National Bank Act to issue formal opinions preempting all state predatory lending laws, thereby rendering them inoperative. The OCC also promulgated new rules that prevented states from enforcing any of their own consumer protection laws against national banks. The federal government's actions were so egregious and so unprecedented that all 50 state attorneys general, and all 50 state banking superintendents, actively fought the new rules. But the unanimous opposition of the 50 states did not deter, or even slow, the Bush administration in its goal of protecting the banks. In fact, when my office opened an investigation of possible discrimination in mortgage lending by a number of banks, the OCC filed a federal lawsuit to stop the investigation.

Throughout our battles with the OCC and the banks, the mantra of the banks and their defenders was that efforts to curb predatory lending would deny access to credit to the very consumers the states were trying to protect. But the curbs we sought on predatory and unfair lending would have in no way jeopardized access to the legitimate credit market for appropriately priced loans. Instead, they would have stopped the scourge of predatory lending practices that have resulted in countless thousands of consumers losing their homes and put our economy in a precarious position.

When history tells the story of the subprime lending crisis and recounts its devastating effects on the lives of so many innocent homeowners, the Bush administration will not be judged favorably. The tale is still unfolding, but when the dust settles, it will be judged as a willing accomplice to the lenders who went to any lengths in their quest for profits. So willing, in fact, that it used the power of the federal government in an unprecedented assault on state legislatures, as well as on state attorneys general and anyone else on the side of consumers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies