Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 04:49 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,270 times

Advertisements

I actually did not use the link. I prefer to remain dumb, only knowing that the big banks, wall street is asking the GOV to bail them out, or,are they really asking? Is it just the GOV asking for the bailout?
But I do know this, for everything that is done, call it an action, then, there is the reaction to the action. hence, my logic, if a tax is imposed to whomever, then, the corporation that was taxed in the first place, passes this cost onto the consumer, you and me.
If I'm running a pizza parlor, and, my tax goes up, my mozzerela starts costing me more as a proprietor, I pass this cost onto the consumer, so I don't have to take a loss on pizzas I make. I can't operate a business healthily without passing more cost onto the consumer, someone has to pay. being in business means that you're trying to make a profit, and not be a charitable organization. you're trying to make money, not loose it.
I still think the average American can better manage his or her finances, than the corporations that need bailing out do. That's why I started this thread at the suggestion of a friend who also is a member of city-data.
Playing the lottery? And winning one? I already know the odds of that one. I would actually have a better chance of being struck by a lightening bolt, than winning a lottery. I think the easiest way of getting money is propositioning the Government for a few million bucks, hey, it might work?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’m sorry to hear that you’re getting screwed for $6 at your bank. However I can’t connect the dots between your ATM losses and the government bailout? Did you read Bernie Sanders letter to Paulson on the link? And yes I can understand that you’d like a million dollar bailout for yourself but there isn’t any free lunch so who’s going to pay for it? Best bet is to go buy a winning lottery ticket; that will occur before you see any money from Uncle Sam in your pocket.

The banking fees are high and they make a lot of money from them, however that isn’t the cause of the problem nor the fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 05:02 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,979 times
7x10^11 / 2.18x10^8 = $3,211 dollars to each American over the age of 18. I'll assume you are married. What kind of house are you going to get for $6,422?

Nice thought, but the math does not seem to work.

More likely, expect a tax bill of $3,211 extra over the next year.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:16 PM

Default Following Your Link

From the very beginning of the letter of the link you provided, I could tell, that Mr.Sanders was an independent. all I have to say is KUDO's to him! Thanks for the link. By the way, I used to be a democrat, lifelong, but, within the last couple of years of dis-satisfaction with a do nothing democratically controlled congress, I have since changed my party affiliation, unfortunately, the state of New Mexico only recognizes the two party system, and not independents, which is the way I'm leaning now. Now, by you posting this link, is that an indication of your party affiliation too? If so, I think a very great number of Americans are presently disgruntled with our two party system as it exists. I also think it's high time for Americans to start taking back our country, and compel politicians to do what "we the people" want them to do, instead of letting them do what they want to do. I'd still like to have a chunk of that $700B though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Senator Bernie Sanders has a better plan of imposing 10% surtax on incomes over $1 Million a year for couples or $500K for single taxpayers. It would raise more than $300 Billion in revenue over five years.

You might want to read his letter to Secretary Paulson and sign the petition.

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (http://sanders.senate.gov/petitions/?petition=Financial_Crisis_1 - broken link)

Old 09-26-2008, 05:28 PM

Default I Could

Well, 6 grand would buy me another travel trailer, and, my wife could have one, and I the other. you wouldn't believe how the walls can close in when two people are living in less than a 50 square foot area. A tax bill for 3 grand? I think I saw something on television that said if taxpayers are going to pick up the tab on this bailout, each taxpayer is going to have to cough up about 39,000 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
7x10^11 / 2.18x10^8 = $3,211 dollars to each American over the age of 18. I'll assume you are married. What kind of house are you going to get for $6,422?

Nice thought, but the math does not seem to work.

More likely, expect a tax bill of $3,211 extra over the next year.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:33 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
well, irregardless of what happens, I still want my cut!
Indeed!

Just heard it again on CNN, the Reps are fighting this tooth and nail I've changed my stance somewhat since this first came to light last week, but something still, obviously, needs done. And I do not like Dodd and Frank being at the head of this on the Dems side. Those guys are dirty, dirty, dirty.

Last edited by dugdogmaster; 09-26-2008 at 06:07 PM..

Old 09-26-2008, 05:34 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Many of us have already gotten the money and cashed in. Remember yes the housing market was inflated and oversold and houses falsely rose in value and trillions were made. Yup and many like me sold got the profit and are part of the millions who made trillions. Money was made on wall street in stock portfolios(retirement 401's included) and we on main street prospered. Yup individual portfolio's are at risk but those portfolio's were padded by this excess as were the homes of those who have owned for a number of years. How many of us shared and prospered from the greed?

Old 09-26-2008, 07:08 PM

214 posts, read 287,992 times
J P Morgan "bought" Washington Mutual with taxpayer backed loans/gifts for a song. The only thing the American people will get from this is the shaft!!! Do you really think most of these politicians give a s#!t about you or your money? They are selling you into debt slavery as we speak, and the majority of the people have no concept of what's going on. And they probably don't want to know!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:33 PM

95 posts, read 310,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Congress wrangling with the lame duck pres. over the details of how to give away 700 Billion dollars, that's B for Billion to the banks, lending institutions, AIG insurance.
I've got a better idea, Uncle Sam should give the money to us, the US Citizens. Then, we will solve our own problems.
We'll be able to buy hummers, pay off our homes, or buy new ones, send our kids to college, and generally, live high off the hog for awhile, like the big corporate execs do. when the money runs out, we'll just go back to Uncle Sam for more, Uncle Sam can be like our rich grandpa, and we'll all be his step children.
Remember what they're saying about this bailout now, there are no guarantees that this will fix the economy. Ok, if they're willing to shell out 700 Billion with no guarantees, why not give it to us? we'll put the cash to very good uses. I myself would like to be a homeowner again, we lost ours a few years ago when I became disabled, and we're now living in a travel trailer. We could use some extra cash right now!
I don't think it would be a good idea for them to just give away 700 billion to the american people, that sounds like a quick road to hyperinflation if you ask me. I don't think the government should be spending fiscal dollars on corporations mistakes either.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:50 PM

Default Hyperinflation

A new word.
Why not, giving the cash to corporations is just as irresponsible as anything, they'll just squander it, and come back for more when the boy cries wolf again. I think the GOV ought to give the money to us, first of all, it would be great for our economy, we'd all be out spending that cash, pumping $$$ into our economy. they could call it a hyperstimulus package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLangben View Post
I don't think it would be a good idea for them to just give away 700 billion to the american people, that sounds like a quick road to hyperinflation if you ask me. I don't think the government should be spending fiscal dollars on corporations mistakes either.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:02 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
Indeed!

Just heard it again on CNN, the Reps are fighting this tooth and nail I've changed my stance somewhat since this first came to light last week, but something still, obviously, needs done. And I do not like Dodd and Frank being at the head of this on the Dems side. Those guys are dirty, dirty, dirty.
i am impressed with your turnaround. good for you for actually following what is going on! i hope that the republicans can stop this deal because certainly all the democrats are not going to be on board with this, especially if they want to get reelected. it will be very interesting to see what obama and mccain do when it is time to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies