Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 06:46 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,415,928 times

Advertisements

Not.

Three held as Mohammed book publisher set ablaze

...The men, aged 22, 30 and 40, were arrested in north London under anti-terrorism legislation after the fire on Saturday morning at Gibson Square's offices. Police were also searching four addresses in east London.

Britain's domestic Press Association news agency said some residents, whom it did not identify, reported that the incident may have involved a petrol bomb being pushed through the firm's letterbox.

Gibson Square is responsible for the publication of "The Jewel of Medina" -- a fictional account of the Prophet's relationship with his youngest bride Aisha -- by American author Sherry Jones.

Random House announced last month it had cancelled publication of the book in the United States because of fears of violence...

...Martin Rynja, publishing director at Gibson Square, earlier this month defended the decision to publish the book, saying that in "an open society there has to be open access to literary works, regardless of fear."

"As an independent publishing company, we feel strongly that we should not be afraid of the consequences of debate," he added...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 08:02 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,143,231 times
Three people don't speak for a whole religion. And do we need yet another thread touting the violence and apparent insanity of the Muslim faith? Can we have a Christian or non-Muslim equivalent? For example, I remember the reaction to the movie The Last Temptation of Christ. All I have to do is pick the right church to go to on Sunday to see the same kind of fanaticism about to boil over. The only thing this kind of discussion accomplishes is that it encourages its readers to resort to the same kind of behavior, slowly but surely.

I absolutely hate the media and Hollywood bludgeoning into us the idea that Muslim or Arab is BAD. Same goes for all those forced divisions that we are subjected to every day. Do we really need other people with immoral agendas telling us who our enemies are or should be? Do we like being emotionally raped? In other words, Islam isn't the problem here. One could insert any human difference and accomplish the same destruction.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
...And do we need yet another thread touting the violence and apparent insanity of the Muslim faith?
Not really. It's self-evident. I had noticed the two or three most recent muslim attacks last week didn't get threads pointing them out, since it gets boring re-stating the same facts over and over.

This thread was brought up because some of us had actually been happy that a publisher had the cojones to publish this book; and of course, muslims reacted as they had threatened to do.

One thing I think you can do with these people; and that is, rely on their word.

Quote:
Can we have a Christian or non-Muslim equivalent?..
Sure, have at it.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:38 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,143,231 times
Seems like you WANT to go to war with these people. You clearly see them as an enemy and you want everyone else to think the same way. I would venture that they too have their own version of "self-evidence". So, "have at it". I won't be joining you in this battle that has no possibility of success...or end. There are more productive options available.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Go to war? I'd like them to leave the rest of us alone and stop demanding appeasement.

That doesn't mean I "want to go to war with these people."

Barring our complete capitulation with their demands, they want to wipe the rest of us off the planet.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:53 PM

20,350 posts, read 19,958,548 times
Quote:
Seems like you WANT to go to war with these people. You clearly see them as an enemy and you want everyone else to think the same way. I would venture that they too have their own version of "self-evidence". So, "have at it". I won't be joining you in this battle that has no possibility of success...or end. .
You seem to be attacking the poster, not the post. Violent incidents like these, over offended sensibilities, are becoming rather common to the point of expectation and lack of surprise.

Quote:
There are more productive options available
Yes there are. They rarely work with extremists however.

I doubt if you'll see any successful GLAAD or NOW chapters in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen.....................

Last edited by doc1; 09-28-2008 at 10:03 PM..

Old 09-28-2008, 10:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
If you can't learn to use recognized names of the faiths you want to talk about, there will be no serious discussion of the issues that you want to raise.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:34 AM

Could you rephrase your condescending reprimand please? Thanks!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
I was watching "American Masters" on PBS over the weekend. They were showing a series on the Warner Brother’s Movie Company. A commentator was quoted as saying that the American Movie Industry was "Owned by Jews, regulated by Catholics and sold to Protestants." How would anyone expect this industry to present a sympathetic view of the Muslim Religion?

As the current regime ruling our country is more interested in keeping us in a continuous state of anxiety so they can continue to rob us for their own profit, I can only see the Muslims as the current enemy de Jure. Previously it was the communists. In any case the real enemies of the American Republic are our own ruling financial and political classes. The movie industry is simply doing what it is told by its wealthy owners by providing the propaganda needed to keep us too frightened to think about who is really hurting us.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Could you rephrase your condescending reprimand please? Thanks!
OK. If you asked me "What religion are you?", and I replied "I am Religion of Peace"---what would that tell you? Nothing, right? Because that is a meaningless monkier, and you would think I was some kind of a smart-aleck trying to befuddle an issue by intentionally refusing to answer the question in a serious spirit of constructive dialogue.

If you want to talk about Islam, say "Islam" in your opening statement, so people will not think your are trying to heavily slant the issue before anybody even gets to comment on it. But then, it depends on whether your obkective is to open discourse, or just to cover your ears scream your prejudices and riducule those who have not reached your intolerant and biased conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies