Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 05:39 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Oh dear. The Blame Game. How about blaming the banking wise guys who came up w/ the lending products (i.e., no doc loans, interest only loans, etc) that caused this mess?

How about that? Why politicize it? Why not just point the finger where it really belongs?
“The people can never willfully betray their own interests, but they may possibly be betrayed by the representatives of the people.” – The Federalist No. 63

We're all in this together. Anyone who has a credit card or took part in the almost free credit are responsible. Just like when they take away our freedoms, we've asked for it. The founders expected us to be vigilant. We've failed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 05:49 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
“The people can never willfully betray their own interests, but they may possibly be betrayed by the representatives of the people.” – The Federalist No. 63

We're all in this together. Anyone who has a credit card or took part in the almost free credit are responsible. Just like when they take away our freedoms, we've asked for it. The founders expected us to be vigilant. We've failed.
Profound insight, Paper.

"Eternal vigilance is the price of Liberty"

I guess everyone was so giddy w/ borrowing power that no one was interested in the house of cards that was being created.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:00 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,685,300 times
And who is controlling congress? Of course it is the dems. Every time they touch something is crashes.

They were warned and did nothing.

Two dems, Dodd and Franks are the cause of this.

Let me remind you of something you have quickly forgotten.

Who got the most donations from employees at both Fannie and Freddie?

OBAMA

Who received the highest amount of money from the failed Fannie and Freddie?

Chris Dodd (DEM) 165,400.00 ( Dems main guy in this bail out )

Who received the second highest amount from the failed Fannie and Freddie?

BARACK OBAMA (DEM) 126,349.00

Who was running Fannie when it started to fail and who do they support today? OBAMA.

As well as being one of his advisers?

OBAMAs buddy Franklin Raines of course, who made 90 million dollars in 3 years on us taxpayers.

Who on OBAMAS advisory board was the former boss at Countrywide Mortgage and under investigation for wrongdoing?

Jim Johnson also vetted for Obama

Who voted against McCains bill to stop this crisis from happening.

OBAMA AND BIDEN

Obama has his grubby dirty hands on it all. Better check his finger prints.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:02 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Lightbulb Oo....Quotes - I have a favorite

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
Thomas Jefferson

ani, I don't know who will eventually be judged to have made this a more politicized event; however, I suspect by virtue of the sheer drama introduced by Senator McCain's election suspension, he and the Republicans will claim this one in infamy throughout History. It's a shame. It should never have been this way.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:10 PM

564 posts, read 892,722 times
Quote:
Profound insight, Paper.

"Eternal vigilance is the price of Liberty"

I guess everyone was so giddy w/ borrowing power that no one was interested in the house of cards that was being created.
Peerfeect! And just like a alcoholic who "wakes up" one morning and decides he's had enough, "sick and tired of being-well, sick and tired" he gives up the very thing he loves before he/she winds up dead/insane/jail. Makes amends to his family/friends and starts a healing process.

That is where we are at, Drunk-and congress wants to stay drunk and not get sober. So instead of "seeing" the insanity of a 700B bailout, and go through the pain now of getting sober, congress is trying to stock up on enough juice to get drunk for generations to come! This will inevitably end in insanity/death with them never getting the 1 chance needed for sobriety. Going through the decision of hell and eventually coming to the other end, congress has allowed the evil Federal Reserve and worthless money to try and end it's own madness, good luck.

It's my experience that drunk thinking is insane rationalizing. These guys aint thinking one step ahead, only days ahead. They and us will painfully pay for this mistake they are about to make with our future and lives.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:10 PM

Cool Hmm....note to self:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
And who is controlling congress? Of course it is the dems. Every time they touch something is crashes.
Words to eliminate: Every.

Herbert Clark Hoover (August 10, 1874 – October 20, 1964), the thirty-first President of the United States (1929–1933)

Old 09-28-2008, 06:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
Thomas Jefferson

ani, I don't know who will eventually be judged to have made this a more politicized event; however, I suspect by virtue of the sheer drama introduced by Senator McCain's election suspension, he and the Republicans will claim this one in infamy throughout History. It's a shame. It should never have been this way.
The whole situation is so stunning.

And even tho I do not feel GWB is responsible for this financial debacle, all the crap that has gone on in this administration . . . all the money down the drain in Iraq (why are we supporting these people???). . . our soldiers who have lost their lives and those who have been wounded or traumatized . . . I am a Republican and dear Lord, I only want to forget about GWB as quickly as possible, LOL. I feel he was terrific right after 9/11 - but once we got into Iraq . . . all downhill ever since.

Of course, I was sick of Clinton by the time his term was up, too . . .

I do not believe in blind loyalty . . . I can totally understand why anyone would want to see "Change."

But all that aside . . . I can't see how the GOP gets tagged w/ this one.

Sad thing is . . . I don't want to vote for Obama or McCain. I don't think either one of them is the right leader at the right time.

This country needs a Thomas Jefferson and I keep looking towards the horizon and I don't see anyone who even starts to reach that stature. Just makes me very very sad.

This financial debacle has made it clear that we are a country being led by self-serving politicos who are only interested in their own careers.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
The whole situation is so stunning.

And even tho I do not feel GWB is responsible for this financial debacle, all the crap that has gone on in this administration . . . all the money down the drain in Iraq (why are we supporting these people???). . . our soldiers who have lost their lives and those who have been wounded or traumatized . . . I am a Republican and dear Lord, I only want to forget about GWB as quickly as possible, LOL. I feel he was terrific right after 9/11 - but once we got into Iraq . . . all downhill ever since.

Of course, I was sick of Clinton by the time his term was up, too . . .

I do not believe in blind loyalty . . . I can totally understand why anyone would want to see "Change."

But all that aside . . . I can't see how the GOP gets tagged w/ this one.

Sad thing is . . . I don't want to vote for Obama or McCain. I don't think either one of them is the right leader at the right time.

This country needs a Thomas Jefferson and I keep looking towards the horizon and I don't see anyone who even starts to reach that stature. Just makes me very very sad.

This financial debacle has made it clear that we are a country being led by self-serving politicos who are only interested in their own careers.
Interesting read (and it's short too
A Crisis Resists the Usual Remedies
By Robert Samuelson
"Our leaders are making up their responses from day to day because old ideas of how the economy works have failed them. These ideas were not necessarily wrong, but they're grievously inadequate at the moment."

One thing that has attracted me to Senator Obama is his willingness to work with and entertain thoughts from the new breed of behavioral economists. We are in a new and different era of economics and it is no longer the simple macro/micro models of the past. The Fed will need to operate in a much different role, it's prior model is no longer sufficient to the task at hand. Where they will end is sure to be hotly disputed, but a fundamental shift in our economic and banking system must happen in order to meet a new era of challenges brought on by Global emerging Economies and Banking structures. Reorganization is already underway, though the headlines roll out so quickly and the "bailout" is so loud, it begins to pass unnoticed, but by a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies