Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 01:49 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
I am just not that much of a stupid dumb **** to believe that the policies that have crippled this ecomomy were first implemented 15-20 yrs ago. Sorry.
You can go back further than that... implementation of the Federal Reserve, the Bretton Woods agreement, the reduction in production of goods in the US, the use of the CIA to overthrow governments, increased federal spending, empire building, Sarbanes-Oxley... I could go on and on...

But thanks for oversimplifying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 01:50 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
What is crazy, is they haven't done any of those pillars but #s 2 and 3. They've allowed gov't to expand it's spending exponentially, and they've printed more money than ever before, which has lead to inflation and a devalued dollar compared to other other currencies. #3 is the worst of them all. #2 would be ok, if they kept to their supposed spending principles, but they haven't.
Fear. If you want a good lesson in what Reagan was up against. Read his diaries. The man was scared to death of the Soviets. In hindsight, for no good reason other than people within his own administration making things up for their own personal and ideological agendas. It began in the 70s with it's roots going right back to Leo Strauss and Sayyid Qutb, two diametrically opposed individuals with the same ideas that have culminated in the war on terror.

Team B Strategic Initiatives Panel - SourceWatch

History is fascinating when you start to connect all the parts. We create debt (personal and federal) to create new money to fight terrorism in order to create new money through the debt we created to fight terrorism... It's circular logic.

All of our policies are based on one thing: debt creation to fuel the economy. Without debt creation, it grinds to a halt. That's why this bill spends so much money. Next time, it will be even more.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:51 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
The root cause of this economic crisis is GEORGE BUSH. Plain and simple.
Yup, just like all the other modern U.S. disasters (financial or otherwise), 9/11, The Savings and Loan Crisis of the 80's, the Wall Street Crash of 1929... they're always on the watch of some stooge of the GOP.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
You can go back further than that... implementation of the Federal Reserve, the Bretton Woods agreement, the reduction in production of goods in the US, the use of the CIA to overthrow governments, increased federal spending, empire building, Sarbanes-Oxley... I could go on and on...

I love you.

I used to be worried that our citizens were too dumb to put it all together.

Call me crazy, but I have an idea that might end all this. Jesus and the money changers. If we taught our Sunday Schools this parable and related it to the Federal Reserve and our monetary policy, it would end. I honestly believe that.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yup, just like all the other modern U.S. disasters (financial or otherwise), 9/11, The Savings and Loan Crisis of the 80's, the Wall Street Crash of 1929... they're always on the watch of some stooge of the GOP.
That's because business cycles mirror political cycles. There is a problem with your logic though. Can you explain to me how the reduction in the number of pirates has increased global warming?

Old 09-30-2008, 02:08 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Here's a conspiracy theory that I find amusing, but since I'm a firm believer in "The Coming Generational Storm", it's creepy.

We have a huge "Baby Boomer" population that is on the verge of retiring. So many workers leaving the workforce at one time would collapse the Social Security system and the government (despite what they've told us). To prevent this from happening a financial crisis was staged (via the sub prime mortgage programs) that would destroy the assets of the Baby Boomers, i.e. home values and stock market holdings (401K's), to where most Baby Boomers would no longer be in a position to retire and would be forced to stay in the workplace and keep on contributing to the system rather than taking out of it. By the time the Baby Boomer assets recover to the point where they feel that they can retire they will be much older and not have so many years left to draw from the system. Plus their retirement dates would be more staggered, not all at one time. This theory kind of explains why supposedly intelligent leaders in Washington were "blind" to what was going to happen—when Stevie Wonder saw it coming - it was planned.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Here's a conspiracy theory that I find amusing, but since I'm a firm believer in "The Coming Generational Storm", it's creepy.

We have a huge "Baby Boomer" population that is on the verge of retiring. So many workers leaving the workforce at one time would collapse the Social Security system and the government (despite what they've told us). To prevent this from happening a financial crisis was staged (via the sub prime mortgage programs) that would destroy the assets of the Baby Boomers, i.e. home values and stock market holdings (401K's), to where most Baby Boomers would no longer be in a position to retire and would be forced to stay in the workplace and keep on contributing to the system rather than taking out of it. By the time the Baby Boomer assets recover to the point where they feel that they can retire they will be much older and not have so many years left to draw from the system. Plus their retirement dates would be more staggered, not all at one time. This theory kind of explains why supposedly intelligent leaders in Washington were "blind" to what was going to happen—when Stevie Wonder saw it coming - it was planned.
I don't believe its a conspiracy or a plan, but a flaw in the monetary system that those in charge already know about. In 2006, regulation was passed making the reserve banking changes they're trying to pass with the bailout in Oct 2011. So they know the system isn't self sustaining. But by then, most of those that caused it will have already made their millions.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:30 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,046 times
Quote:
The root cause of this economic crisis is GEORGE BUSH. Plain and simple.

Bush has done more than his fair share of outspending revenues and letting business do pretty much whatever they want, but he did not start this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Reagan introduced us to hyper partisanship. That's his legacy. Yes, I realize the irony.

Hyper partisanship has been around as long as the US.

Quote:
I am just not that much of a stupid dumb **** to believe that the policies that have crippled this ecomomy were first implemented 15-20 yrs ago. Sorry.

Republican administrations from Reagan on have cut taxes, increased deficit spending, increased the size of the government and cut government regulations. Prior to that Republicans were generally the party of fiscal responsibility & smaller federal government.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
Hyper partisanship has been around as long as the US.
This is a new breed. I see it as contained to Washington, now it's part of our culture. The media has a lot to do with it as well.

Pistols at dawn anyone?

Old 09-30-2008, 02:42 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post

What a <gulp> grasp of history you have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies