Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 08:10 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times

Advertisements

Being a kid in the 1970s was pretty darn good! My friends and I spent countless hours exploring our world while letting our imaginations write the script for our next adventure. Our parents didn’t have a lot of “extra” money for our entertainment so we created the entertainment ourselves by applying our own creativity and observation skills. We learned that the best way to raise the funds for things we needed to buy or pay for was by seeking out various employment opportunities for young people like raking leaves, shoveling snow, or a newspaper route. In a lot of ways our life was pretty similar to that of Theodore “Beaver” Cleaver of the television show “Leave It to Beaver” that aired as reruns when I was a child.

I don’t recall ever watching Beaver being told by Ward or June to watch out for sexual predators who may abduct you. I also can’t remember the episode when Beaver or his friends were worried about being robbed by gang members or having to fear being harmed by one of their customers while delivering newspapers. Nobody ever got shot by a “drive-by” while sitting on the Cleaver’s porch. Come to think of it my friends and I never experienced any of those “episodes” either. What happened to the world of the Beaver? How can we get it back?

Maybe my friends and I lived sheltered lives. I do remember being told not to talk to strangers but the reason why was always somewhat vaguely explained. Anyway, anyone in my neighborhood didn’t classify as a stranger. Strangers were people you didn’t know. I knew all my neighbors as did my parents. I’m not just referring to the people next door or across the street. I mean I knew the whole neighborhood and most of the neighborhood next to mine too. Furthermore, I knew all my customers on my paper route, my best friend’s paper route, and my other good friend’s paper route. I’m talking about 100 to 150 families. Nope, no strangers there! That leads me to another point. All of these people were either; married, single, or widowed. No one was living with a girlfriend, boyfriend, partner, grandmother, guardian, or any other non-Cleaver type relationship.

Unlike the Cleavers, most peoples’ families were not free from problems and conflict. Families dealt with alcoholism, abuse, and depression among other serious problems. However, religion played a larger part in the family’s view of marriage and the responsibilities involved in the upbringing and care of children. A child growing up in a less than ideal family situation still had hope in the fact that perhaps his or her particular family situation was not the norm and he or she would strive for something better.

Now here it is thirty years later. The majority of the children I have encountered as a teacher have not had the benefit of experiencing the childhood or family structure that my friends and I experienced as children through no fault of their own. Many families, including my own, are reluctant to give their children the freedom and independence to explore their world in the same way we did as children due to fear of their child falling victim to one of the many highly-reported crimes against children in our society. Additionally, too many children are being raised in less than ideal and often unstable, non-traditional, family structures. There are far fewer “model” family structures for them to observe in their lives or even in the programs they watch on television. Today’s kids often have a lot of “stuff” like video games, MP3 players, cell phones, expensive sneakers, and other popular things in their possession. Unlike my friends methods of obtaining things they wanted as a child, almost none of these kids have truly “earned” these luxuries. In fact many adults feel compelled to obtain these things for their children in an attempt to make them happy. What do you think the kids really want to make them happy? The answer is far simpler than the solution, to bring back the world of Beaver Cleaver.

There is a common theme rooted in the solution of all that ails today’s American society, commitment. Americans need to refocus on being committed to matrimony before having children, committed to taking care of their families, committed to their responsibilities of employment, committed to life-long learning, committed to their civic responsibilities as members of their community, and committed to protecting the environment for future generations. Greater attention needs to be given to selfless acts as opposed to selfish acts.

As Americans, we need to be united in working on the solutions now! Most of the solutions require little or no money to implement. The cost savings we would realize are too great to measure in dollars and cents. How much would you pay to save our society and the American way of life? Maybe we could just ask the Beaver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 08:39 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,000,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
There is a common theme rooted in the solution of all that ails today’s American society, commitment. Americans need to refocus on being committed to matrimony before having children, committed to taking care of their families, committed to their responsibilities of employment, committed to life-long learning, committed to their civic responsibilities as members of their community, and committed to protecting the environment for future generations. Greater attention needs to be given to selfless acts as opposed to selfish acts.

I can agree with the statement above for sure. I'm not sure if I would want it to be 1955 all over again BUT I do get the "jist" of what you are saying and agree for the most part.

The family structure has fallen apart and the affect is evident. Maybe Bush Sr. was on to something with his "family values" campaign after all. Hmph.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:06 AM

20 posts, read 100,578 times
The problem with "Leave It To Beaver" is it was an unrealistic television show!

What was the black experience at the time of "Leave It To Beaver"? Seperate water fountains and toilets? Possible lynchings?

Remember at the time of "LTB" sexual predators allegedly did not exist. Maybe there were not spoken about? Maybe a rape victim "asked for it" or was a "loose woman".

I can assure you, todays children are much better behaved than my generation.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I can agree with the statement above for sure. I'm not sure if I would want it to be 1955 all over again BUT I do get the "jist" of what you are saying and agree for the most part.

The family structure has fallen apart and the affect is evident. Maybe Bush Sr. was on to something with his "family values" campaign after all. Hmph.
Yeah, Bush Sr. the "epitome" of family values...we can see what his version of family values has done to this country with this "boy wonder" president we have in office now.

And Babs with her, "...there were poor anyway..." comment about displaced Katrina victims.

Yes, Siree, we need more Bush "family values".

Old 02-11-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlily71 View Post
Yeah, Bush Sr. the "epitome" of family values...we can see what his version of family values has done to this country with this "boy wonder" president we have in office now.

And Babs with her, "...there were poor anyway..." comment about displaced Katrina victims.

Yes, Siree, we need more Bush "family values".
You have serious anger issues...

Old 02-11-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
You have serious anger issues...
Yes, I have issues with people who believe America is going to hell because "family values" are gone.

It's pretty easy to listen to Dr. Laura and Rush Limbaugh and blame "bad people" for this country going to hell.

Do people even know what happened in the "good ole' days"? Were all marriages like "Leave It To Beaver"?

I was a kid in the 70's and most children, who were fortunate enough to have parents not too wacked out, would not remember the drugs and swingers of the 70's.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlily71 View Post
Yes, I have issues with people who believe America is going to hell because "family values" are gone.

It's pretty easy to listen to Dr. Laura and Rush Limbaugh and blame "bad people" for this country going to hell.

Do people even know what happened in the "good ole' days"? Were all marriages like "Leave It To Beaver"?

I was a kid in the 70's and most children, who were fortunate enough to have parents not too wacked out, would not remember the drugs and swingers of the 70's.
I think you just have issues, period.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:47 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
I'm not saying that all families were like the Cleavers. Mine was far from that. Society did not and still does not treat all its members fairly. That is up to us as citizens of the great country to solve.

That being said, there are far too many children being born into bad situations. Not being married and committed to a loving relationship is not beneficial to a child's development. Commitment is something that has been lost by many in a "me-centered, live-the-moment" society.

Many children today are not given the opportunity to explore their world and experience the feeling of being a part and witnessing a loving relationship by their parents. Too many boyfriends, girlfriends and others are constantly transitioning in and out of their families leaving the child feeling resposible or unwanted.

Talk to children in these situations. They'll tell you how it feels.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I think you just have issues, period.
Maybe you are correct!

Old 02-11-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
. Not being married and committed to a loving relationship is not beneficial to a child's development. Commitment is something that has been lost by many in a "me-centered, live-the-moment" society..
Does commitment mean staying in abusive or bad marriage for the "sake of the children"? Many studies have found that parents staying together for the sake of the children is worse for a child.

Quote:
. Many children today are not given the opportunity to explore their world and experience the feeling of being a part and witnessing a loving relationship by their parents. Too many boyfriends, girlfriends and others are constantly transitioning in and out of their families leaving the child feeling resposible or unwanted..
Again, what is your reference? Most of the "loving" relationships in the past involved a wife being subservient to her husband. To add to that in the "good ole days" many children worked in unsafe situations, they worked in coal mines and in factories which often left children loosing a limb or life!

Quote:
. Talk to children in these situations. They'll tell you how it feels.
I think the main problem today, is we believe what occured after WW2 was the norm. It is troubling how people "throw out" their children today, but that can be tied to the lack of affordable mental health services and affordable substance abuse treatment facilities.

Maybe if this country had national healthcare where mental health care was affordable there would be less of these problems you described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies