Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:23 AM

410 posts, read 515,692 times

Advertisements

just wondering how people feel about the war in the middle east? what everybody is thinking in their minds when this type of behaviour is at present day with people being more rational now and deal with the problems better by cooperation and compromising, easily settling disputes that are less important than taking human lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 11:41 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,071,479 times
You seem to be under the delusion that people are rational. They're not.

Besides, sometimes war is actually rational. In this particular case it's not but in many instances throughout history war has been the only rational solution.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:03 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,194,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serena nisha sattar View Post
what everybody is thinking in their minds when this type of behaviour is at present day with people being more rational now and deal with the problems better by cooperation and compromising, easily settling disputes that are less important than taking human lives.
That's easy for you to say, since you stand to gain dramatically through cooperation and compromise, whereas Americans can only lose.

If you can convince Americans that a GDP of $8-$9 Trillion is better than $14 Trillion, and having 50 Million or so permanently unemployed with a perennial jobless rate of 8-10% in addition to that, and to exist on lower incomes and a lesser standard of living with a weak government incapable of doing anything because it has no revenues, then okay.

Understand I'm neither for the Iraq war or against it, I'm simply saying that for the Americans to retain their quality of life and standard of living in the future, they have no choice but to be there.

Since I don't see Americans voluntarily quitting their jobs and making an effort to consume significantly less, I have to assume they agree, even those who claim to "oppose" the war flap their lips a lot but their actions contradict their sniveling.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
This question devolves to "Under what circumstances is it justified or legitimate to participate in a war?" This is not a new question---it has been around for a long time.

I would say that ALL of these criteria would need to be present to justify going to war:

1. Your nation has been a cooperative member of the community of nations, and has not militarily threatened any other nation.
2. An enemy abroad indicates both an intent and a capacity to invade your own nation with sufficent force to overrun a part of your territory.
3. Your enemy possesses sufficient force to occupy and control any territory of your country that is overrun by military force.
4. Stationing defense forces in your own territory is insufficient to repel attacks.

If ALL of those criteria are met, I would agree that engaging in a general war would have defensive justifiation. As far as I know, the United States has not, in the past century, been in a situation in which those criteria were met.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:36 PM

448 posts, read 1,589,029 times
A war is ok as long as it gets our economy rolling, like world war 2. This war in Iraq shouldve been over a long time ago if there was a Harry S Truman out there. Im ok with that!! Seriously I am.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:38 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,553,637 times
Solves nothing, but is often the method chosen by men of limited intelligence who are not resourceful enough to find an alternative.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:43 PM

448 posts, read 1,589,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Solves nothing, but is often the method chosen by men of limited intelligence who are not resourceful enough to find an alternative.
alternative, like who Gandhi??

This world was built on survival of the fittest, kill or be killed. Thats the way the US has operated and will always operae. Its the way the working world works, he on top gets there by stepping on others.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:53 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,045,201 times
Truth be told, I feel so bad that a war is going on in another part of the globe and there is nothing I can do about it "all by myself." Makes me even madder when I look at all the young people in the starbucks and in the malls who dont have a CLUE whats going on except for the new sale at urban outfitters..

I truly wish that I was superman or some other superhero so I can save the world from evil people then to retire to watch people live out there lives in peace.

I use to believe that modern wars were necessary until I started to study on my own instead of believing everything that college professors or the TV would tell me...

The truth is that all the major issues going on in this world are played out much like a game of chess, big things (wars, depressions) don't happen unless they are orchestrated to happen.

As SICK as it is, wars make some serious money for the powers that be.. For example somebody had to make the Zyclon B gas that killed all the Jews. Whoever got that contract, made some serious money. Do your homework people, the first step is to turn off the TV and to learn OUTSIDE of the educational system.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:56 PM

68,343 posts, read 54,470,554 times
My feeling is any people who willingly go to war for no other reason than the "My God is better than your God" argument should all be transported to a fenced off area, armed, and allowed to have at it.

If they can't learn how to live together, they can dies together.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:06 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,613,868 times
I was against it to begin with, and my feelings have only grown stronger. I don't have the words to explain how disappointed I am that this country continues to consider itself the global policeman. George W. Bush is a frightening example of the face of all this oppression and fear. Don't bother wasting your breath telling me how we had to fight the terrorists on their soil to keep them off ours. That argument doesn't fly. A nuclear weapon could be brought into America across the Mexican or Canadian border, or it could bring it in on the shores of Oregon or Florida. A war in Iraq will not stop a determined attack. Do you think that a war in Iraq would have stopped the 9/11 terrorists from seizing airplanes today? Nope. Only tighter security measures here in our country will prevent that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies