Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times

Advertisements

Solving a problem that just did not exist.

Quote:

North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory (R) signed a bill Monday requiring photo
identification at the polls and eliminating a slew of voting measures designed
to protect against voter disenfranchisement.

The governor, eschewing a more traditional signing ceremony, announced
by
way of a YouTube video
that he had signed House Bill 589.

The bill will require voters to show photo identification -- a driver's
license, passport, veteran's ID, tribal card -- beginning in the 2016 elections.
Student IDs are not an acceptable form of identification. The bill also reduces early voting by a
week
, eliminates same-day registration, ends pre-registration for
16-and-17 year-olds and a student civics program, kills an annual
state-sponsored voter registration drive and lessens the amount of public
reporting required for so-called dark money groups, also known as
501(c)(4)s.

North Carolina Voter ID Bill Signed Into Law By Gov. Pat McCrory, Sparking Lawsuits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:34 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
The standard I use for voter ID laws is, "Would I be able to get a voter ID for free"?

Old 08-12-2013, 08:41 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The standard I use for voter ID laws is, "Would I be able to get a voter ID for free"?
Evidently, voter ID is free in TX, but I haven't heard about NC.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:44 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
I voted against the anti-gay Amendment One.

One of the silver linings of laws like this passing is that maybe Republican ownership of the legislation will slow the explosion of NY and MD transplants coming here.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Evidently, voter ID is free in TX, but I haven't heard about NC.

"Free" voter ID is absolutely useless to me, since it requires a birth certificate which is NOT free, \

Except in PA, which does have a provision for free voter ID where BC is not available for free. (PA natives can apparently get free BC (or at least verification) for voting, so the PA provision appears to mostly help PA residents born in other states.)

Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 PM

"...ends pre-registration for 16-and-17 year-olds..."

Could some supporter PLEASE explain the reasoning for this?

I was 17 when I left for college and would have been disenfranchised if I had not been allowed to pre-register.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
"Free" voter ID is absolutely useless to me, since it requires a birth certificate which is NOT free, \

Except in PA, which does have a provision for free voter ID where BC is not available for free. (PA natives can apparently get free BC (or at least verification) for voting, so the PA provision appears to mostly help PA residents born in other states.)
Interesting point. BC's are $5 in IL, but about $20 in TX, so I wonder if they though about that.

I don't think it's much of an issue though. Realistically, you need an ID before you can register to vote or do practically anything anyway. The only reason these threads come up is because people are getting riled up that southern states are implementing laws that northern states already have. <shrug>

When was the last time you heard about IL or IN getting bashed for voter ID laws?

Although, to be fair, the NC law cuts spending programs that probably didn't need to be cut.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Interesting point. BC's are $5 in IL, but about $20 in TX, so I wonder if they though about that.

I don't think it's much of an issue though. Realistically, you need an ID before you can register to vote or do practically anything anyway. The only reason these threads come up is because people are getting riled up that southern states are implementing laws that northern states already have. <shrug>

When was the last time you heard about IL or IN getting bashed for voter ID laws?

Although, to be fair, the NC law cuts spending programs that probably didn't need to be cut.

What I don't understand is why - in some states - you need to show a BC (or other proof of citizenship such as a passport) every freaking time you renew your DL or ID. Once you've produced a BC at initial application, why do you need it again and again?

It's not as if a BC can be revoked or invalidated.

BC costs $15 in NYC and they no longer issue a copy of the original, they give you something which might be considered a short form.

One more thing, AZ issues DL which is valid until your 65th birthday, unless suspended or revoked. That would solve a lot of voter ID problems.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
What I don't understand is why - in some states - you need to show a BC (or other proof of citizenship such as a passport) every freaking time you renew your DL or ID. Once you've produced a BC at initial application, why do you need it again and again?

It's not as if a BC can be revoked or invalidated.
Most states just require you to present your old ID within 1 or 2 years of the expiration date to get a new one.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:32 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't you want to encourage ALL adult American citizens to have at least one of the following... a driver's license, passport, veteran's ID, tribal card or some sort of government issued photo id card???

And without having a birth certificate or social security card, they wouldn't be able to collect welfare, Section 8, food stamps or any other government aid programs. Or cash government checks.

And if they are not wanting to actively participating within "the system" then why should they have a vote?

And paying some small fee ($50 or less) for a government issued photo id card is really not all that much. I'm sure that most poor people always scrounge up enough money for their lottery tickets, cigarettes and alcohol. So I don't want to hear that these people can't afford to pay for a proper id card.

I think that laws like these are good and encourage people who don't have government issued id cards to get their lives together to get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies