Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 12:00 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times

Advertisements

I have had one president in my lifetime (46 years) that I liked. Ronald Reagan. The rest I am either indifferent to or don't like at all. Bush has fallen into the don't like category.

Did he cause all this mess? No. But he didn't provide leadership either. People are right that Democrats have their dirty fingerprints all over this housing and credit crisis. But you know what? Bush is the president. It is his job to lead. He should have pushed his mortgage reforms harder through the congress controlled by his own party. But he punted because he was too busy being bogged down in Iraq which consumed his whole presidency. Spending cuts, immigration, tax reform , energy exploration all got pushed aside for this damn war.

It makes me sad to see my great country go in such a bad direction with such a poor leader. And because of that, we will now have the most left-wing government in my life time the next four years, or longer, and that makes me sadder still. It's all very dispiriting. I will breathe a sigh of relief when Bush leaves.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:52 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I have had one president in my lifetime (46 years) that I liked. Ronald Reagan. The rest I am either indifferent to or don't like at all. Bush has fallen into the don't like category.

Did he cause all this mess? No. But he didn't provide leadership either. People are right that Democrats have their dirty fingerprints all over this housing and credit crisis. But you know what? Bush is the president. It is his job to lead. He should have pushed his mortgage reforms harder through the congress controlled by his own party. But he punted because he was too busy being bogged down in Iraq which consumed his whole presidency. Spending cuts, immigration, tax reform , energy exploration all got pushed aside for this damn war.

It makes me sad to see my great country go in such a bad direction with such a poor leader. And because of that, we will now have the most left-wing government in my life time the next four years, or longer, and that makes me sadder still. It's all very dispiriting. I will breathe a sigh of relief when Bush leaves.
It wasn't only the war that pushed economics aside...Bush is an oil man, and the Bin Launden families and his families have been friends for years. You have to remember...Osama was a black sheep of the family, but since he is Bin Launden, he obtained grace...due to the influence of his family.

Bush is a very wealthy man and so has his family been for years. He doesn't care about what is going on in this country, not really. And neither do any of the other leaders...long as they have theirs.

It is a proven fact, when had every great nation declined and fallen? When they became immoral and courrupt, when taxes rose and everything else declined.

It is amazing how people so hungry for change and morals, look to those who will once again fool us and lead this country. Republican's back republican's simply because they are that, and Dems back the democratic party, no matter how incapable their parties have been for years????? This is beyond any comprehension...that people do not wake up...it's all rah rah America...when in fact the leaders of this country are selling us out and off....political parties are run by corporations, and special interest groups...doesn't matter what party they are...everyone is in it for the buck...THAT is all that matters...and if anyone thinks or believes, one of those men Obama or McCain is going to give us change for the good, you are sorely mistaken.

This country is BROKE...what do you think the next leader is going to have to do?????? Raise taxes...and tax everything they can. In lieu of that...we still haven't voted in a one line veto to go against political leaders cramming into a bill, that they know will pass, pork barrel spending to pacify special interest groups who funded their campiagns.

God, what is it going to take, to wake people up...instead of standing there and buying each candidates dribble, American's hungry for change are boosting them on?????

How do you think any nation was taken over? When people are desprate and hungry for change....

It amazes me to see how stupid people really are....they continue to believe that their party is the best...and fight over it....while all those people in Washington who are supposed to be working for us, are working against us.

It is NOT Bush's fault that this economic situation happened...and now, due to the bail out, fear and despiration, the government will be taking over our banks....BAD MOVE!!!!!!

I don't know how we can all be so individually wrapped up in our own greed and lust, so that it actually blinds us to what is really going on.

The banks got really greedy and gave out bad loans...period....and I always believed they were regulated...is anyone asking that question? No? Why?

I don't like Bush any more then anyone else, but he didn't cause this problem on Wall street...anyone who knows anything, should know, that for the past 8 days....people with money have been buying cheap stock in the morning and selling off like crazy in the after noon...that doesn't help anything????? Money hungry people....

There are those that fear loosing their money...and they have, so they are bailing out...which also makes it worse, instead of sitting tight and waiting for the panic to stop...

The media is largly responsible for this as well...as they have been reporting gloom and doom, instead of getting on the air, and having financial experts educate the people, like they did years ago....they are reaking fear...which scares people adn starts a vicious cycle of bailing out, which is why stocks are plunging. If everyone would just sit tight and wait it out...plus purchase a few low priced stocks if you can and just sit on them, everything would be fine and the market would start to increase once again.

I have in all my life, never seen such uninformed bunch of people who are backing two very incapable men to be our next president.

Sheesh...you vote for one guy, cuz he is your party...or because, she is a woman?

I've heard people say, Paulin is credible....ON WHAT GROUNDS? WHAT HAS SHE DONE THAT MAKES HER CRIDIBLE TO RUN THIS COUNTRY?
She's a woman, so a lot of really dumb women out there are going to vote for her, simply b/c she's a woman, period. They have no concept what so ever of her experience...???? I mean, how unintelligent?

Then you have Obama who believes everyone should have the same??????? So, he's giving amnesty to all the illegals...but he will have to tax us and tax us high to recoup...and do you honestly think, he is going to be able to give corporations a tax break to get them to stay over here and produce/manufacture...NO!!!!

Think people....corporations are moving to third world countries and starting over...why? Because it's so cheap to do so. Plus they don't have regulations there?

Think...a few years back...all the pharaceutical companies were warning people not to buy meds from Canada..why, b/c it was cutting them out of their proceeds. Now, they're all moving over to third world countries and God only knows what kind of products we're going to have. NOTHING is regulated over there?

And McCain IS NOT a Terrorist...??? But what he is, is incapable of leading this country...he's going to tax every medical procedure that we have. Therefore, if you go into the hospital, and your bill is 32,000.00, you are going to be liable to pay, lets say, 6% of that?????? OUt of pocket expense????

I swear this country better get off the band wagon and wake up...b/c if you don't, if you continue this none sense....nothing will ever change.

What we should all do, is not vote at all, or vote for an independent candidate or libratarian....to show them all we mean business!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if they'd do any better, but it would certainly help keep them a bit more honest and let them know, WE are tired of this bull they've been handing us. They've ruined our country, all in the name of greed....we won't get better until we hit bottom, and we're no where near...we've all saw fit to live way beyond our means...and feel, we have a right to? Sheesh????

So while your blaming Bush for our economic crisis, take a long hard look in the mirror...b/c the average american is living well over their means....meaning, they bought houses that they couldn't afford, on a variable rate mortgage or an interest only mortgage...how ridiculous and unwise is that?

All the illegal stuff they're all doing, is getting way out of hand...and it will be our demise.

Creme

Old 10-12-2008, 08:41 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
I just saw this headline on CNN.com:

Bush: 'Lots of work to do' before leaving office (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/12/bush.hundred.days.ap/index.html - broken link)

Made me want to climb back in bed and pull the covers WAY up over my head!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:47 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
It wasn't only the war that pushed economics aside...Bush is an oil man, and the Bin Launden families and his families have been friends for years. You have to remember...Osama was a black sheep of the family, but since he is Bin Launden, he obtained grace...due to the influence of his family.

Bush is a very wealthy man and so has his family been for years. He doesn't care about what is going on in this country, not really. And neither do any of the other leaders...long as they have theirs.

It is a proven fact, when had every great nation declined and fallen? When they became immoral and courrupt, when taxes rose and everything else declined.

It is amazing how people so hungry for change and morals, look to those who will once again fool us and lead this country. Republican's back republican's simply because they are that, and Dems back the democratic party, no matter how incapable their parties have been for years????? This is beyond any comprehension...that people do not wake up...it's all rah rah America...when in fact the leaders of this country are selling us out and off....political parties are run by corporations, and special interest groups...doesn't matter what party they are...everyone is in it for the buck...THAT is all that matters...and if anyone thinks or believes, one of those men Obama or McCain is going to give us change for the good, you are sorely mistaken.

This country is BROKE...what do you think the next leader is going to have to do?????? Raise taxes...and tax everything they can. In lieu of that...we still haven't voted in a one line veto to go against political leaders cramming into a bill, that they know will pass, pork barrel spending to pacify special interest groups who funded their campiagns.

God, what is it going to take, to wake people up...instead of standing there and buying each candidates dribble, American's hungry for change are boosting them on?????

How do you think any nation was taken over? When people are desprate and hungry for change....

It amazes me to see how stupid people really are....they continue to believe that their party is the best...and fight over it....while all those people in Washington who are supposed to be working for us, are working against us.

It is NOT Bush's fault that this economic situation happened...and now, due to the bail out, fear and despiration, the government will be taking over our banks....BAD MOVE!!!!!!

I don't know how we can all be so individually wrapped up in our own greed and lust, so that it actually blinds us to what is really going on.

The banks got really greedy and gave out bad loans...period....and I always believed they were regulated...is anyone asking that question? No? Why?

I don't like Bush any more then anyone else, but he didn't cause this problem on Wall street...anyone who knows anything, should know, that for the past 8 days....people with money have been buying cheap stock in the morning and selling off like crazy in the after noon...that doesn't help anything????? Money hungry people....

There are those that fear loosing their money...and they have, so they are bailing out...which also makes it worse, instead of sitting tight and waiting for the panic to stop...

The media is largly responsible for this as well...as they have been reporting gloom and doom, instead of getting on the air, and having financial experts educate the people, like they did years ago....they are reaking fear...which scares people adn starts a vicious cycle of bailing out, which is why stocks are plunging. If everyone would just sit tight and wait it out...plus purchase a few low priced stocks if you can and just sit on them, everything would be fine and the market would start to increase once again.

I have in all my life, never seen such uninformed bunch of people who are backing two very incapable men to be our next president.

Sheesh...you vote for one guy, cuz he is your party...or because, she is a woman?

I've heard people say, Paulin is credible....ON WHAT GROUNDS? WHAT HAS SHE DONE THAT MAKES HER CRIDIBLE TO RUN THIS COUNTRY?
She's a woman, so a lot of really dumb women out there are going to vote for her, simply b/c she's a woman, period. They have no concept what so ever of her experience...???? I mean, how unintelligent?

Then you have Obama who believes everyone should have the same??????? So, he's giving amnesty to all the illegals...but he will have to tax us and tax us high to recoup...and do you honestly think, he is going to be able to give corporations a tax break to get them to stay over here and produce/manufacture...NO!!!!

Think people....corporations are moving to third world countries and starting over...why? Because it's so cheap to do so. Plus they don't have regulations there?

Think...a few years back...all the pharaceutical companies were warning people not to buy meds from Canada..why, b/c it was cutting them out of their proceeds. Now, they're all moving over to third world countries and God only knows what kind of products we're going to have. NOTHING is regulated over there?

And McCain IS NOT a Terrorist...??? But what he is, is incapable of leading this country...he's going to tax every medical procedure that we have. Therefore, if you go into the hospital, and your bill is 32,000.00, you are going to be liable to pay, lets say, 6% of that?????? OUt of pocket expense????

I swear this country better get off the band wagon and wake up...b/c if you don't, if you continue this none sense....nothing will ever change.

What we should all do, is not vote at all, or vote for an independent candidate or libratarian....to show them all we mean business!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if they'd do any better, but it would certainly help keep them a bit more honest and let them know, WE are tired of this bull they've been handing us. They've ruined our country, all in the name of greed....we won't get better until we hit bottom, and we're no where near...we've all saw fit to live way beyond our means...and feel, we have a right to? Sheesh????

So while your blaming Bush for our economic crisis, take a long hard look in the mirror...b/c the average american is living well over their means....meaning, they bought houses that they couldn't afford, on a variable rate mortgage or an interest only mortgage...how ridiculous and unwise is that?

All the illegal stuff they're all doing, is getting way out of hand...and it will be our demise.

Creme
Im afraid you right

Old 10-12-2008, 09:05 AM

873 posts, read 1,588,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I just saw this headline on CNN.com:

Bush: 'Lots of work to do' before leaving office (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/12/bush.hundred.days.ap/index.html - broken link)

Made me want to climb back in bed and pull the covers WAY up over my head!
I clicked your link and it had an ad right next to the story that asks for help choosing Barack Obama. Had to laugh.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:59 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Because he's an evil genius. I mean an idiot, wait - a mastermind. No, it's ignorant.

I'm not a Bush supporter, but I don't think I've seen anyone before pinned as both devious and incompetent at once quite as often as he has.
LOL! Touche'! Yes, which is it?

Old 10-12-2008, 11:04 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,076,197 times
NOT AGAIN. PLEASE EDUCATE YOURSELVES

Three Branches of Government
In 1787 leaders of the states gathered to write the Constitution-a set of principles that told how the new nation would be governed.
The leaders of the states wanted a strong and fair national government. But they also wanted to protect individual freedoms and prevent the government from abusing its power. They believed they could do this by having three separate branches of government: the executive, the legislative and the judicial. This separation is described in the first three articles, or sections, of the Constitution.

Legislative Branch
The legislative branch is made up of the two houses of Congress—the Senate and the House of Representatives. The most important duty of the legislative branch is to make laws. Laws are written, discussed and voted on in Congress.

Executive Branch
The President is the head of the executive branch, which makes laws official. The President is elected by the entire country and serves a four-year term. The President approves and carries out laws passed by the legislative branch. He appoints or removes cabinet members and officials. He negotiates treaties, and acts as head of state and commander in chief of the armed forces.

The Republicans presented the FEDERAL HOUSING ENTERPRISE REGULATORY REFORM ACT OF 2005 for CONGRESS to pass.

See GovTrack: Senate Record: FEDERAL HOUSING ENTERPRISE REGULATORY REFORM... (109-s20060525-16) (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/record.xpd?id=109-s20060525-16 - broken link)

YouTube - Democrats Covering up the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and Economic Crisis

It was the DUTY of the CONGRESS to pass this REFORM ACT. PASSING laws is NOT the duty of the PRESIDENT. THAT's the duty of CONGRESS!!!!!!

The DEMOCRAT-CONTROLLED CONGRESS blocked the reform act!!!!!

So you CANNOT blame BUSH because he is NOT in charge of voting on laws to pass!!!

The people you should blaming are the DEMOCRAT-CONTROLLED CONGRESS!!!!

Laws are written, discussed and voted on in Congress.

All laws have to be passed by Congress first. If the Congress does not pass the law, then it goes nowhere!!!!!

So if Congress, the people you voted for is a bunch of a-holes, stupid or just plain corrupt and greedy, they can ruin the country, too!!!

Old 10-12-2008, 11:18 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
NOT AGAIN. PLEASE EDUCATE YOURSELVES

Three Branches of Government
In 1787 leaders of the states gathered to write the Constitution-a set of principles that told how the new nation would be governed.
The leaders of the states wanted a strong and fair national government. But they also wanted to protect individual freedoms and prevent the government from abusing its power. They believed they could do this by having three separate branches of government: the executive, the legislative and the judicial. This separation is described in the first three articles, or sections, of the Constitution.

Legislative Branch
The legislative branch is made up of the two houses of Congress—the Senate and the House of Representatives. The most important duty of the legislative branch is to make laws. Laws are written, discussed and voted on in Congress.

Executive Branch
The President is the head of the executive branch, which makes laws official. The President is elected by the entire country and serves a four-year term. The President approves and carries out laws passed by the legislative branch. He appoints or removes cabinet members and officials. He negotiates treaties, and acts as head of state and commander in chief of the armed forces.

The Republicans presented the FEDERAL HOUSING ENTERPRISE REGULATORY REFORM ACT OF 2005 for CONGRESS to pass.

See GovTrack: Senate Record: FEDERAL HOUSING ENTERPRISE REGULATORY REFORM... (109-s20060525-16) (http://www.govtrack.us/congress/record.xpd?id=109-s20060525-16 - broken link)

YouTube - Democrats Covering up the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and Economic Crisis

It was the DUTY of the CONGRESS to pass this REFORM ACT. PASSING laws is NOT the duty of the PRESIDENT. THAT's the duty of CONGRESS!!!!!!

The DEMOCRAT-CONTROLLED CONGRESS blocked the reform act!!!!!

So you CANNOT blame BUSH because he is NOT in charge of voting on laws to pass!!!

The people you should blaming are the DEMOCRAT-CONTROLLED CONGRESS!!!!

Laws are written, discussed and voted on in Congress.

All laws have to be passed by Congress first. If the Congress does not pass the law, then it goes nowhere!!!!!

So if Congress, the people you voted for is a bunch of a-holes, stupid or just plain corrupt and greedy, they can ruin the country, too!!!
The PREZ is CEO of the country, or commander in chief, or 'your war president' as Bush prefers, so he is the most influential and powerful man in the country. Of course there are other branches but he and Cheney have done their best to render the others powerless.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:25 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
the person making $25,000 per year and buying a $500,000 house has bush to blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
How could one man, Bush, get the entire country into such a mess?

Old 10-12-2008, 11:32 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
I think there is something to the notion that President Bush can't be blamed for everything that has gone wrong during his tenure [like the Dodgers last 2 loses to Philly ]. The real issue is confidence. To be honest, having Bush in office while this recession dips into depression is not comforting. George Bush has no credibility. That's why Americans are so angry with him. If he hadn't screwed up an extremely costly & senseless war maybe more Americans would trust President Bush.

But he has made so many mistakes:
1. nominating his personal lawyer to the Supreme court
2. letting Gonzales completely disgrace the Justice dept
3. putting people in important positions who are totally unqualified = Brownie\FEMA
4. vetoing stem cell research because God says no
5. breaking constitutional principles of spying on Americans - torturing & abusing prisoners that is filmed for all the world to see
6. outing a CIA agent for political purposes
7. hiding meetings with big business\ energy producers & refusing to reveal what was discussed
8. allowing Cheney too much power & abuse of his office
9. having clergy like the Rev Haggard\gay sex & drugs as weekly consultants on faith
10. using anti-gay initiatives to win elections & ROVE

The list goes on and on!

Now Bush is dealing with the most serious of America's problems & he just doesn't give me a sense of confidence [whether he is responsible or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies