Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 01:24 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,362,435 times

Advertisements

Should Bush Give A Nationally Televised Apology To the American People?
Not without every politician in the capital joining in. blaming the President for everything that has happened shows how little people understand how the government works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 01:33 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,189,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
3. Bush Sr. pardoned several of HIS OWN ADMINSTRATION (Elliot Abrams, etc) to keep them from testifying against him about Iran-Contra. THAT was a SERIOUS CRIME against U.S. policy, which involved trading weapons to our ENEMY Iran for hostages! Give me anything comparable that Clinton or Carter did ?
Um, you asked for it, you got it.

In the first place, you are totally wrong. The Iran-Contra scheme involved purchasing weapons from Iran to provide to the Contras, not giving weapons to Iran.

In the second place, you might want to study the Senate Intelligence Committee and the House Select Subcommittee to Investigate the United States Role in Iranian Arms Transfers to Croatia and Bosnia (the Senate report, dated November 1996, is unclassified. The House report is classified, with the exception of the final section of conclusions, which was released on October 8, 1996).

Clinton authorized $500 Million to $800 Million to purchase weapons and ammunition from Iran to provide to the Croats, Bosnians, and later the Kosovars, in his illegal non-Congressional approved wars in the Balkans.

I might add that in addition to violating 17 US laws, Clinton also violate 4 UN Security Council resolutions that prohibited the transfer or sale of weapons to Bosnia, or to any parties engaged in conflicts in the Balkans, including the Kosovars.

You might remember that Clinton appointed his neo-con National Security Director Tony Lake to be head of the CIA, and that he got shot down at his confirmation hearing because he lied about the arms transfers from Iran.

I would also point out that neo-con Tony Lake is Obama's chief foreign policy advisor and that if Obama should win the election, the neo-con Lake will probably be either the White House Chief of Staff or National Security Advisor, and will probably once again be appointed as head of the CIA, and would probably be confirmed if the Democrats control both houses of Congress.

I forgot to mention Joe Biden was on the Senate Intelligence committee at the time of the investigation and report. This was also one of the things Clinton was impeached.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:06 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,991,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Um, you asked for it, you got it.

In the first place, you are totally wrong. The Iran-Contra scheme involved purchasing weapons from Iran to provide to the Contras, not giving weapons to Iran.
Read this ... and then tell me I am totally wrong.

Iran-Contra affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The Iran-Contra affair was a political scandal which was revealed in November 1986 as a result of earlier events during the Reagan administration. It began as an operation to increase U.S.-Iranian relations, wherein Israel would ship weapons to a moderate, politically influential group of Iranians opposed to the Ayatollah Khomeini; the U.S. would reimburse Israel for those weapons and receive payment from Israel. The moderate Iranians agreed to do everything in their power to achieve the release of six U.S. hostages, who were being held by Hezbollah. The plan eventually deteriorated into an arms-for-hostages scheme, in which members of the executive branch sold weapons to Iran in exchange for the release of the American hostages, without the direct authorization of President Ronald Reagan.[1][2] Large modifications to the plan were conjured by Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North of the National Security Council in late 1985. In North's plan, a portion of the proceeds from the weapon sales was diverted to fund anti-Sandinista and anti-communist rebels, or Contras, in Nicaragua.[3] While President Ronald Reagan was a supporter of the Contra cause,[4] there has not been any evidence uncovered showing that he authorized this plan.[1][2][5]
After the weapon sales were revealed in November 1986, Ronald Reagan appeared on national television and stated that the weapons transfers had indeed occurred, but that the United States did not trade arms for hostages.[6] The investigation was compounded when large volumes of documents relating to the scandal were destroyed or withheld from investigators by Reagan administration officials.[7] On March 4, 1987, Reagan returned to the airwaves in a nationally televised address, taking full responsibility for any actions that he was unaware of, and admitting that "what began as a strategic opening to Iran deteriorated, in its implementation, into trading arms for hostages."[8]
Many investigations ensued, including those by the United States Congress and the three-man, Reagan-appointed Tower Commission. Neither could find any evidence that Reagan himself knew of the extent of the multiple programs.[1] In the end, fourteen administration officials were charged with crimes, and eleven convicted, including then-Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger.[9] They were all pardoned in the final days of the George H. W. Bush presidency, who had been vice-president at the time.[10]

Old 10-12-2008, 04:12 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,489,971 times
You have no clue of history. Wikipedia is not the be all end all. I suggest more investigations on your part.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:14 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,580,004 times
So how is it that nothing is Bush's fault because of a Dem-controlled Congress but everything that's gone wrong for the last 16 years is Clinton's even though he had a GOP-controlled Congress?

Remember that "personal responsibility" thing? Or is that just a bunch of rhetorical tripe like the whole spiel about limited government and fiscal restraint? Because we sure as hell haven't seen either of those in the last eight years.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You have no clue of history. Wikipedia is not the be all end all. I suggest more investigations on your part.
No need for further investigations.

I trust Wikipedia as a reliable source.

However, because you don't feel the same way as I do about Wikipedia ... doesn't make you more right.

And from someone who once told me not to use personal attacks, I suggest you do the same!

Also, feel free to provide info which contradicts my above Wikipedia post, and please provide the links. I am curious who you trust for a source.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:30 PM

It was not a personal attack just an observation. The whole picture is so obscenely huge that the part your talking about is probably .5% at best. I'm sure Mircea will be back for a rebuttal. More of a heads up than a attack.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So how is it that nothing is Bush's fault because of a Dem-controlled Congress but everything that's gone wrong for the last 16 years is Clinton's even though he had a GOP-controlled Congress?

Remember that "personal responsibility" thing? Or is that just a bunch of rhetorical tripe like the whole spiel about limited government and fiscal restraint? Because we sure as hell haven't seen either of those in the last eight years.

Who said nothing?

Old 10-12-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
It was not a personal attack just an observation. The whole picture is so obscenely huge that the part your talking about is probably .5% at best. I'm sure Mircea will be back for a rebuttal. More of a heads up than a attack.
Personally, I would rather have you respond about Iran-Contra ... since you are the one making the accusation!

You provide your opinions about Iran-Contra ... but aren't back them up with any facts!

And yes ... I do know a personal attack when I read one!

"You have no clue about ...." is a personal attack.

"What you stated is incorrect, and here is why ... " is not a personal attack.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Personally, I would rather have you respond about Iran-Contra ... since you are the one making the accusation!

You provide your opinions about Iran-Contra ... but aren't back them up with any facts!

And yes ... I do know a personal attack when I read one!
That's why I said you'll have to know history.
You know and are talking about a very very small percentage of it. The contras were being used in the cold war and the war against communism. The fight in Vietnam and many many others were all a fight against communist. If you know history you would understand the Iran contra affair was one small battle in a giant war. Do you understand that much of it. I fully acknowledge Mircea has me trumped. There fore for me to go in depth would be fruitless if you don't know real history as it has gone down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies