Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Such depth.
Thanks.

Quote:
That was already the simplified version.
I think you're lying. I think you don't want to say "we're all in this together" because that a statement about your willingness to use force against those who don't want to be in it together.

Quote:
No need to complexify it. The words greed and selfishness would have sufficed.
Yes, but don't forget to mention that "greed" and "selfishness" are defined as wanting to be rewarded in proportion to your work... rather than members of the collective being rewarded equally for ones work.

Quote:
You confuse the concepts of freedom and irresponsibility. You (and many others) seek to disguise the latter in the garb of the former.
Yeah... I suppose, since I feel no responsibility for the rain, you could call me irresponsible for that too.

What exactly are we responsible for?

Quote:
Yeah, I know what you mean. Even though I know the owners, it's tough for me to get a table at my favorite restaurant anymore because of all the welfare people who are in there living the high life as usual. Does it bother you to be so disconnected from reality?
Actually, I'm thinking along the lines of when those tax-redistribution checks come out once a year for them... when they're out spending their EIC credits on new computers and lazy boys... but they don't work but 40hrs a week. While, however, I'm working massive hours and getting taxed at 50%.

Is that selfish and greedy of me to wonder what morality supports that my neighbor gets my tax money when I work twice as much as them?

Quote:
Morally, there is no distinction between your obligation to pay for public goods and services and your obligation to pay for private goods and services.
Help me out then, comrade, because I don't see it like that.

If it's a private good or service, I purchase it under no duress. I use my freedom of will.

It it's the government, it's generally a payment made because I'll go to prison otherwise or suffer some other penalty that isn't natural, but the result of force.

Those aren't morally the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 05:51 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Quote:
Failure to pay income or any other tax is theft and freeloading, no matter how you slice it. Take as big a share of the benefits as you can, then refuse to pick up any share of the costs? Do you have some sort of way to spin that into morally upright behavior? I kind of doubt it.
I do, in regards to the federal income tax on labor. The reason being that i work for my money and am not allowed any credit for what i invest in to recieve my earnings, or "income". Thus the moral dilema....

It's unconstitutional.

I'm all for paying state taxes, so let's not spin an argument of that out of reach...

Old 10-25-2008, 01:57 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
In a word the rich should be taxed fairly. By this I mean that they already pay the vast majority of taxes. I myself would opt for the flat tax no loophole system. Everyone pays the same % no escape loopholes. I might end up paying more but it is fair.
Tinman01 I agree with you wholeheartedly. The problem with our tax plan is that everyone is looking for a tax loophole instead of paying their fair share of taxes. I will say that a poor person hypothetically making $8,000 would be hit harder paying a hypothetical 8% flat rate than a person who makes $80,000.

But we all have to pay something, and for some people to have to pay no taxes isn't right or fair either. Compassion can go so far, and when compassion is costing Americans jobs, and the demise of the USA as we know it, then lets get ready to become newest third world country.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:49 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
I do, in regards to the federal income tax on labor. The reason being that i work for my money and am not allowed any credit for what i invest in to recieve my earnings, or "income". Thus the moral dilema....It's unconstitutional.
You might need to update your understandings. Jail isn't really all that comfortable a place...

Anti-Tax Law Evasion Schemes

Old 10-25-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
You might need to update your understandings. Jail isn't really all that comfortable a place...
It has been in my experience. Actually, when I've been in jail, I met lots of guys who'd been in prison, and they didn't seem to mind that either.

The idea is to prepare in advance. Then, once there, just do your time and don't let your time do you.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Anti-Tax Law Evasion Schemes
If all else fails, use fear...taking a page right out of the Bush Administration, the people who you vehemently despise.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
It has been in my experience. Actually, when I've been in jail, I met lots of guys who'd been in prison, and they didn't seem to mind that either. The idea is to prepare in advance. Then, once there, just do your time and don't let your time do you.
Well, I'm sure that will be very useful advice for tax-evaders everywhere. Thanks for your insight and leadership on this important issue.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
If all else fails, use fear...taking a page right out of the Bush Administration, the people who you vehemently despise.
Actually, it's called the law, and it was the same as it is today for quite some time before the Bushies ever came along. Your arguments are all long ago certified losers in court...

Old 10-25-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm sure that will be very useful advice for tax-evaders everywhere.
It really is. I was given the exact same advice before I went. By the time it was time to go, I requested time instead of probation and it was the best decision I ever made.

Quote:
Thanks for your insight and leadership on this important issue.
My pleasure.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Actually, it's called the law, and it was the same as it is today for quite some time before the Bushies ever came along. Your arguments are all long ago certified losers in court...
To take the link you pasted in context, which addresses the cases in your IRS "past cases"...

www.gcstation.net/liefreezone/THEMEMORANDUM.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies