Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:32 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Creme, maybe if you knew that "rampid" is not a word, you'd have a little more credibility. In fact all you're doing is trying to gin up paranoia and hatred, of which there is already enough. I did my undergrad thesis on Megan's Law, and I can aver that ron's points are correct. The sex offender hysteria is a media-induced and media-exploited phenomenon way out of proportion to the actual problem.

It's also uncharitable to accuse ron of trying to "make a fool" of anyone, when he was merely trying to provide accurate information. But if the dunce cap fits, I guess...
crime is rampid in the U.S., half the offenses that go on, you never hear about, or it never makes the papers. I'm not trying to gin up paranoia and hatred...I'm stating facts....presently out in CA, and spreading across the U.S. are gangs unlike anything we've seen before...doing a paper, certainly cannot define hands on experience...my information comes from people who, are actually working in law enforcement...our laws need to be reassessed, prisons need to be built...and yes, ron was doing exactly as I stated...you can discuss an issue, without condiscention...and believe me, the media does not cover all the crime that is REALLY going on. You have no clue...therefore, stating what you so conveniently wrote...if the shoe fits...(which is exactly why, issues as such, cannot be resolved today)

And by the way, my son and many other police officers are out there, putting their lives on the line, to keep you and your families safe, not nearly being compensated for what they have to endure...I suggest, you go do some ride alongs and talk to police officers all over the country...it never ceases to amaze me how youth thinks, b/c they've done a paper they know all there is to know and an expert on the issue? Not true...

I'm suggesting you do some hands on homework, and get down the law enforcement and you'll find out, over half the crimes that happen, never make the news....

Also, I'm very sorry your so disallusioned about child sex offenders...b/c until you actually become aware of the true statistics, our children, will continue to be victimized....

it's not spreading hate and fear, it is the facts

Creme

Last edited by cremebrulee; 11-07-2008 at 05:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
This is what I think is important to do; I think people should read the Adam Walsh Act; I think people should really take the time to process the document and I think it is important to consider the document as a whole, and then dissect it; I think it is important to recognize that there may be more importance to categorize offenders than through them all into the pot together. There are those, and I have said it before, who do not belong on the registry; there are those who do. And, there are times that inputting into the registry takes entirely too long, especially when there is a repeat violent offender ...those convicted felons should not slip through the cracks.

Of course it takes time and money to get a registry up to date and sometimes too much time and money is spent on prosecuting those who should not be prosecuted, like those kids madly in love in high school.....

Sometimes it is not always productive to have blanket statements...
I agree with you totally, our laws need to be re-evaluated...but, on the subject of child sexual offenders....it is proven and has been tested that 1% of them can be rehabilitated...and if anyone takes the time to read the articles I've posted, a child molester doesn't stop at one kid...it is a sickness which cannot be cured...therefore, they need to be removed from society and locked behind closed doors. If that is a blanket statement, then so be it...but anyone who touches a child in such a way is extremely sick...and needs to be cut out from the body of society.

If you have cancer, what do you do? You cure it...think of society as a body...and the child molesters cancer? What should you do?

As far as any other crime, I do agree that crimes should not be across the board...and each crime has it's own individual difference, and should be addressed in that way...

Last edited by cremebrulee; 11-07-2008 at 05:27 AM..

Old 12-16-2008, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,357 times
Yes each crime is different and each person is different. Some are treatable and some are not. Ok now that i have said that. Why then blanket this in such a way that states can't even sort them out. There are many differences in a predictor and a person that has been convicted of a sex crime. Considering this is a broad range of things I feel to be fair we should also say that not all sex offenders have a high rate of re-offending. Some groups do and i will have to agree with you that Predator sex offenders are one of these groups. However to be fair i think you need to be careful with all the hype as most don't know the difference. And feel we are talking about all 600,000 registered sex offenders across the country. Given that and if what you are saying when you say they always re-offend, I would say yes we have a real problem and i don't feel safe walking down the street at noon.But we all know that isn't true. So get down to the truth and talk about the ones that are really the problem and then we are talking about 95% less then the impression the hype gives.Talk about the 5% and you can say all you like but really there is a difference in people and that's what we are talking about. Not animals or something that doesn't count. We are talking about people and most of all their families and children.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:12 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I agree with you totally, our laws need to be re-evaluated...but, on the subject of child sexual offenders....it is proven and has been tested that 1% of them can be rehabilitated
There is no such legitimate statistic on earth. You are simply lying, obviously and blatantly. Reoffense rates tend to be below 20% in legitimate studies; see articles like Eric Lotke's Politics and Irrelevancy if you actually want to bother finding out the facts. Then again, I corrected your use of the nonexistent word "rampid" (it's not a word! really!) and you still used it again, so you don't seem to respond very well to patient correction.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
There is no such legitimate statistic on earth. You are simply lying, obviously and blatantly. Reoffense rates tend to be below 20% in legitimate studies; see articles like Eric Lotke's Politics and Irrelevancy if you actually want to bother finding out the facts. Then again, I corrected your use of the nonexistent word "rampid" (it's not a word! really!) and you still used it again, so you don't seem to respond very well to patient correction.
I am not lying, my son's a cop, and that is the statistic...of course studies are going to say differently, they don't want to loose their jobs...or loose funding for the studies, but There was a story out of South Carolina about a man who was convicted of child molestation in the early 1990's, served his time in prison, got out, and this week two girls escaped from a dungeon he had set up in his basement where he had kept, tortured and raped them.

This is nothing new. The fact is, that Child molesters, can't change their sexual appetites. They may be able to control it if they are in an environment where there are no children (such as prison) but there is a great deal of research on the topic, all of which suggests that Child molesters will remain as such, despite whatever drugs, physical or psychological therapy they receive, and in many cases despite an earnest desire to change. It is not a choice that one can make (for example, if you are not a child molester, try to imagine a day when you changed your sexual orientation-- to kids; chances are you can't imagine that, because it isn't who you are. Similarly, child molesters is who child molesters are, and they will always be child molesters, they cannot be cured).

Sexual molesters of children, who have been treated, have reoffended over and over again...some right away, some years from the 1st offense...but let it be known that they do ineed and have reoffended as many as 25 - 50 kids. And that is no joke.

Sex Predators Can't Be Saved by Andrew Vachss (New York Times): The Zero 5.0laf - The Official Website of Andrew Vachss

6th paragraph from that article reads as follows;

Some predatory sociopaths can be deterred. None can be rehabilitated, since they cannot return to a state that never existed. The concept of coercive therapy is a contradiction; successful psychiatric treatment requires participants, not mere recipients. What makes sexual predators so intractable and dangerous is that, as Mr. Dodd candidly acknowledged, they like what they do and intend to keep doing it.

sexual molesters, molest because they are 1. sexually attracted to children and 2. because they love the power play...neither can be rehabilitated, this is something that is repeated over and over and over again.

Think of it this way, no amount of counseling and aversion therapy is going to get any man to find Jessica Alba sexually unattractive. However, if you would run into her on the street or someone that looks like her, you and most men, will have the fortitude to not lure her into a van and rape them.

Child molesters are usually the best probationers. They are generally extremely polite, rarely miss appointments and will generally comply with every directive you give them. They are very sneaky and you have to watch them like a hawk.

I for one, have been molested by a man who molested at least 7 other girls that we KNOW OF? 7 Girls! It started when I was five. I'm not willing to take a chance on rehab, as part of my own rehab, was knowledge on this subject. When I was about 21, I had read an article that stated, that a lot of children who are sexually molested, turn into sexual molesters...that scared the bejesus out of me, and I marched right off to counseling, which helped me extremely. It helped me identify me as a very important and significant person, that I wasn't guilty for what happened to me....but to this day, and I will be 60 years old...when I talk about it, I become very nervous, and fearful. And for years, I was afraid of men...one of the girls who he raped, and I reconnected and were discusising the issue. She told me she never felt better, since she is able to come right out and admit it and discuss it. I am able to do the same, but I do become nervous.

I'm not going to go into all the symptoms I've been thru, or the mistakes I've made in my life, b/c I had very little respect for myself, and/or confidence.

Today, I saw on the news, after, what? 26 years, Mr. and Mrs. Walsh were able to put an end to their suffering. Investigations were conclusive that the man who they thought molested their son, killed him and decapated him, they now know, did it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I say, to all you women out there, who were molested as a child, who ever this person is above me, who challenged my post...don't let people like that bully you into fear. Come out in the open and do not be ashamed...know that your loved and a very significant human being, crucial to society...why, b/c you've experienced it...and your alive...if you are still having problems with the abuse, seek counsiling, or talk to a trusted friend about it. Why? for your own ability to put it to rest....and get on with your life.

One child sexually molested is one child to many....all children in the world are our responsibility, and it is our responsiblity to protect them. Watch over them, keep them safe and persecute those who violate and take advantage of their trust, and their innocence.

also, read, and study and talk to law enforcement, about the issue. Get it out in the open...help us, help our children...so that not one more child has to go thru what you and I did...so that parents, like Mr. & Mrs. Walsh to not have to suffer the henious years of loss for their child. I'm sorry, but when society protects the child molesters, and not the children, there is something gravely wrong. Child molesters need to be taken out of society and put away...

and yes, crime is rampid!
1. rampid the act of something growing very fast; or spreading through an area quickly

The disease ran rampid throughout the country.

Pirated music is rampid in society.

http://www.eudict.com/search.html?cx=partner-pub-2198120866271956%3As50wmr-v6jn&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=rampid&sa=Search#1082

I think any human being who engages in sexual encounters with children, need to be placed in a safe place where they can no longer harm another child. I also think, one crime as an adult against a small child should not be tollerated...and should be put away for life. And I'm not talking about two teens who have sex...I am talking about a grown man, 21 years of age or older, who violates a baby, child, toddler, sexually, needs to be taken from society and placed in prision, for the rest of his life.

Footnote: And by the way, crime is getting worse and worse across America, especially with the declining economy....people are becoming desperate...you don't hear 1/2 the stuff that really goes on.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 12-17-2008 at 07:11 AM..

Old 12-17-2008, 07:31 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Rampid rather than rampant.
Street jargon use of a word that was pronounced phoentically (close but incorrectly)then spelled to match what it sounded like and then spread .
"Urban Dictionary" word.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Rampid rather than rampant.
Street jargon use of a word that was pronounced phoentically (close but incorrectly)then spelled to match what it sounded like and then spread .
"Urban Dictionary" word.

yanno, I've used the word for many years...and the word rampid being a word or not is not the issue here?

Why is it necessary to, never mind
Let get back on topic

Old 12-17-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
yanno, I've used the word for many years...and the word rampid being a word or not is not the issue here?
Your education level is one of the issues here, as is your ability to distinguish between legitimate information on the one hand (e.g. Eric Lotke's meta-analysis, the word "rampant", etc.), and wrong information on the other hand (Andrew Vachss' activist propaganda, anecdotes, the non-word "rampid", etc.) on the other hand.

What I mean is, you don't seem to have much of a wheat/chaff separating mechanism when it comes to information. But you are in good company; most other Americans will believe anything they hear, especially if it confirms their prejudices.

Last edited by djacques; 12-17-2008 at 02:20 PM..

Old 12-17-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
This is nothing new. The fact is, that Child molesters, can't change their sexual appetites. They may be able to control it if they are in an environment where there are no children (such as prison) but there is a great deal of research on the topic, all of which suggests that Child molesters will remain as such, despite whatever drugs, physical or psychological therapy they receive, and in many cases despite an earnest desire to change. It is not a choice that one can make (for example, if you are not a child molester, try to imagine a day when you changed your sexual orientation-- to kids; chances are you can't imagine that, because it isn't who you are. Similarly, child molesters is who child molesters are, and they will always be child molesters, they cannot be cured).
You are confusing "child molestation" (an action) with "pedophilia" (a psychosexual disposition). The two are often found together, obviously. But they are not the same thing. Not every pedophile molests children, even once. Not every person who's molested a child is a pedophile. The two groups are strongly overlapping, but still distinct, circles.

It is TRUE that pedophilia is incurable. It is patently UNTRUE that treatment doesn't have a positive effect on recidivism. Just like it is TRUE that alcoholism is incurable, but UNTRUE that no alcoholics remain sober. As for those who've molested children not because they are pedophiles, but for another motive, they are as capable of being deterred by the normal fear of punishment as any other criminal, not being burdened by the specific psychological hang-ups and age-specific sexual drives that a pedophile has.

Quote:
Sexual molesters of children, who have been treated, have reoffended over and over again...some right away, some years from the 1st offense...but let it be known that they do ineed and have reoffended as many as 25 - 50 kids. And that is no joke.
It's not a joke, but if it is being presented as an average case, it is a falsehood.

Quote:
Some predatory sociopaths can be deterred. None can be rehabilitated, since they cannot return to a state that never existed. The concept of coercive therapy is a contradiction; successful psychiatric treatment requires participants, not mere recipients. What makes sexual predators so intractable and dangerous is that, as Mr. Dodd candidly acknowledged, they like what they do and intend to keep doing it.
This may be true of the subset of pedophiles who are sociopaths. Most are not.

Quote:
sexual molesters, molest because they are 1. sexually attracted to children and 2. because they love the power play...neither can be rehabilitated, this is something that is repeated over and over and over again.
Again, that's false unless it's meant to be representative of sociopathic molesters rather than all molesters. Most pedophiles strongly identify with children--think M. J.--and don't understand they are doing anything harmful. They really don't. They think society doesn't understand their love. As for "power play" the average pedo imagines that he and the child he's attracted to are really equals. All this is well known to clinicians and people who've worked with them, but is counterintuitive to the ignorant public. What can I say, ignorance is running rampid.

Quote:
Think of it this way, no amount of counseling and aversion therapy is going to get any man to find Jessica Alba sexually unattractive. However, if you would run into her on the street or someone that looks like her, you and most men, will have the fortitude to not lure her into a van and rape them.
That's true. The key is getting pedophiles to show, or develop, that level of scruples. And there is no reason to believe they can't. Many of them do.

Quote:
also, read, and study and talk to law enforcement, about the issue.
I've studied the issue plenty, thanks. In fact my 25-page senior undergrad thesis was on the drawbacks of Megan's Law.

Quote:
Footnote: And by the way, crime is getting worse and worse across America, especially with the declining economy....people are becoming desperate...you don't hear 1/2 the stuff that really goes on.
I doubt the economy has anything to do with the incidence of child molestation, although perhaps if parents are at home and supervising their children less because they are working longer hours, there might be an indirect effect.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Your education level is one of the issues here, as is your ability to distinguish between legitimate information on the one hand (e.g. Eric Lotke's meta-analysis, the word "rampant", etc.), and wrong information on the other hand (Andrew Vachss' activist propaganda, anecdotes, the non-word "rampid", etc.) on the other hand.

What I mean is, you don't seem to have much of a wheat/chaff separating mechanism when it comes to information. But you are in good company; most other Americans will believe anything they hear, especially if it confirms their prejudices.
Quote:
My but you are quit full of yourself are you not?

If you must insist on insulting and bullying someone to get your point across, then so be it, however, simply because your more word savvy then I am, you don't have to ram it down my throat...it always amazes me how people of your intelligence, seem to love to punch people down to make yourself feel more important.

I've read your next post, and no matter who you are, it's strictly a matter of opinion...from both of us, doesn't make you right and me wrong...simply where we get our information from...and just because you don't agree with me, doesn't say I'm wrong.

again, just because you wrote a thesis and read resource information doesn't make you an expert on the subject. Sheesh...just because you wrote a paper....

Again, I've studied this issue much longer then you have...I'm not suggesting your blatenly wrong on each statement you've made, and I'm not going to take the time to prove you are...but I have in fact talked with many professionals in this area...as well as many victims...you see, I was a victim...
you cannot rehab these diseased minds...maybe if your lucky, one or two out of many...but, there is no proof today, that you can, as over long periods of years, if these molesters are subjected to children, chances are, they will attack again. It is a sickness that cannot be curred.

I have no desire to further any conversation with you. Unfortunately you are unwilling to bend...

I suggest you take your pompass attitude and tell your story to the Walsh's. See how far you get with them, or the police officers who investigate these issues. Do some ride alongs, and then come back and tell me differently. And ask what is the general number of kids these people molest in their life time...but then, you probably still won't believe them.

and by the way, I am not misinformed.

and just for the record, making a fool out of someone and bullying them, isn't a very good way to get your point across and have a productive conversation.

I have nothing more to say to you.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 12-18-2008 at 08:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies