Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 04:54 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
I can't open it for some reason, what is the jist of it...
I can't either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 05:32 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,632 times
Clearly the gubmint needs to silence the Internet.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:48 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varangian View Post
I used to do design work in a virtual "world". These types infected that place BADLY.

I blame their parents.
I think all adults, self included, deserve blame here. It's taken me quite a while to learn how to deal with internet relations and I've still got a long way to go. Lots of wisdom gifted me along the way. Difference between me and many- what I say online is the exact same thing I'd say right to your face IRL if you came at me with inflammatory comments. Luckily I'm not exposed to these kinds of attitudes IRL very often. Decorum is my norm and I have the mentality that each CD poster is sitting in my livingroom. If you're pooping on the floor I toss you out of my house (ignore feature).

Snerts by any other name skunk as badly. (CD needs a PEE-YEWW smiley lol)

I think huckleberry has the right idea, but something I'd like to add to the kitty... venting is one thing, but at what point does it stop serving cathartic purpose and takes on a shape of being addicted to anger?

My first dip in the internet waters was a chatroom on AOL and it was downright traumatic- this feeling that the sum of collective emotions of humanity had become a vast cesspool. Only to realize, affirming the thread article, it's been seething there all along in polite company. Screwy conclusions people make that never had to pass the litmus test of daylight or ambient air. Never verified in a reality beyond a front porch. Made me think of how isolated most are in their heads.

Even in terms of self awareness.. where on the PH scale are you on issues? What really merits acerbic to it's extreme?

Old 11-18-2008, 06:00 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,444 times
What'll be really interesting to see is what effect this virtual aggression has on face-to-face relations. When people are all practiced up at saying what they're really thinking and getting in each other's grills anonymously, will they take it to the streets? Or the office?

Before you dismiss the idea, remember all the 1970's studies that found no correlation between violence on tv and violence in kids?

They've changed their tune today, but there's no putting that genie back in the bottle now.

Everybody get yer anger on.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 PM

Really does smack of psychological experiments in the 70's and the ensuing call for ethics. Good read in same vein of subject... Amazon.com: Opening Skinner's Box: Great Psychological Experiments of the Twentieth Century: Lauren Slater: Books

For those who can't read the thread reference article for firewall reasons...

Moderator cut: Please, only provide a short synopsis and a link. Entire articles are against the Terms of Service

Last edited by Synopsis; 11-18-2008 at 06:45 PM..

Old 11-18-2008, 06:43 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I hope you guys like this: #@*!!! Anonymous anger rampant on Internet - CNN.com Seems to be true.

This is certainly true of the P&OC forums on city-data.

I wish people could moderate their behavior just a little bit better. It's a tough world out there and some type of moderate behavior is in order.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:51 PM

oopps sorry- I thought the only issue for CD was proper references... sorry guys, the article is lost in space for you due to them thar rules.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Nope, the "ragers" are probably just all those frustrated and upset "wingnuts" after the election. But yeah, I know.... the liberals (and Clinton) are really the ones who made 'em do it!
yes i agree. you know i thought i would see a dip after the election not so. i think these people were angry b4 during and after.
fortunately rageaholics don't vote.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:10 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I saw this and immediately googled my name just in case
There's a whole world of people out there, and boy, are they pissed off.
(from the article)

Are you saying this may possibly apply to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies