Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:54 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbomb82 View Post
No offense, but what is so logical about your opinion if you say mine is not? I was giving an opinion and you gave your opinion.
Thank you for not taking offense, none was intended. I just don't see WHY you feel that way. You say you are glad that California rejected it. That's an opinion, but it offers us nothing else. What reason do you have to oppose gay marriage? My opinion is that since it doesn't impact you (I'm assuming you're not gay), it shouldn't be of any consequence. Why would I care if an African American person married an Asian? It doesn't impact me at all, it's not my life, so I'd really have to come up with something in order to logically oppose it, which I can't. So what would be your logical reason to oppose something that has no impact on you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:58 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
I don't believe in gay marriage and I'm glad California does not allow it.

These people that say "Gay Marriage" should be allowed state they are the most "opened minded" people ever.

If that is allowed, then why can't we have strip clubs in neighborhoods? These opened-minded people aren't for that.

What happens when I disagree and don't believe in gay marrieage. They aren't as open-minded as they think because they are always very open-minded.

That is why I dislike those who call themselves "open-minded". Because they aren't even close to being that way.

Just watch- I'm sure I will get attacked by the open-minded people here in a rather mean tone despite the fact I'm being logical and stating my opinion.
I don't take issue with your belief. And I don't mean to single you out, but I see this type of argument sometimes and would like to respond to it.

So you don't believe in gay marriage. Fine. Does that give you the right to legislate your belief on EVERYONE in your state? Imagine if school segregation were put up to a "yes/no" vote in the South 60 years ago. What would the outcome have been? I don't like abortions, but I think it's up to every woman who finds herself in a situation to make a decision that reconciles her own morals and needs. Two consenting adults wish to enter a civil contract together (that's what marriage is). Isn't that their own moral decision to make?

IMO, ballot questions should be related to how the government runs itself. Questions like how shall the state appoint judges, or how shall school board members be appointed, or shall we change the name of our town? Not who gets equal rights and who doesn't. Some people complain about "activist judges" but the most important role of the judicial branch of government is to protect the rights of the minority from tyranny of the majority (thanks, James Madison).

Old 11-06-2008, 08:58 PM

175 posts, read 439,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Thank you for not taking offense, none was intended. I just don't see WHY you feel that way. You say you are glad that California rejected it. That's an opinion, but it offers us nothing else. What reason do you have to oppose gay marriage? My opinion is that since it doesn't impact you (I'm assuming you're not gay), it shouldn't be of any consequence. Why would I care if an African American person married an Asian? It doesn't impact me at all, it's not my life, so I'd really have to come up with something in order to logically oppose it, which I can't. So what would be your logical reason to oppose something that has no impact on you?
Because I disagree with it. I don't think it is morally correct. I think it sets a bad example to others. In my opinion, it does effect others. Now that is just my two cents. I am glad to hear your thoughts.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Sorry to be insulting. I just gave an opinion. Telling someone that they aren't logical can be interpreted as "insulting" as well.
Thank you but when someone equates strip clubs with marriage, gay or straight, it's pretty difficult to remain silent. Strip clubs have certainly broken up a lot of marriages!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:01 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
These people that say "Gay Marriage" should be allowed state they are the most "opened minded" people ever.

If that is allowed, then why can't we have strip clubs in neighborhoods? These opened-minded people aren't for that.
I'm for gay marriage.

I don't flatter myself by calling myself open minded. I think anti-gay people are dolts. That's not open-minded, but that's what I think nonetheless. If you don't have to justify being homophobic by any recourse to logic, I don't have to justify being anti-homophobic either.

I am all for having strip clubs anywhere.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I don't take issue with your belief. And I don't mean to single you out, but I see this type of argument sometimes and would like to respond to it.

So you don't believe in gay marriage. Fine. Does that give you the right to legislate your belief on EVERYONE in your state? Imagine if school segregation were put up to a "yes/no" vote in the South 60 years ago. What would the outcome have been? I don't like abortions, but I think it's up to every woman who finds herself in a situation to make a decision that reconciles her own morals and needs. Two consenting adults wish to enter a civil contract together (that's what marriage is). Isn't that their own moral decision to make?

IMO, ballot questions should be related to how the government runs itself. Questions like how shall the state appoint judges, or how shall school board members be appointed, or shall we change the name of our town? Not who gets equal rights and who doesn't. Some people complain about "activist judges" but the most important role of the judicial branch of government is to protect the rights of the minority from tyranny of the majority (thanks, James Madison).
I very much agree with the abortion issue. I doesn't effect anyone else. I think people should have a right to do this!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Because I disagree with it. I don't think it is morally correct. I think it sets a bad example to others. In my opinion, it does effect others. Now that is just my two cents. I am glad to hear your thoughts.
Explain "bad example" when the example is two people loving each other. I think two heterosexuals face-sucking each other at an amusement park when kids are around is a far worse example than two people bringing love into the community. The impact of two gay people getting married might place (I'm going to use the word) "unenlightened" parents in a bind. They'd rather it go away than have to explain it to their kids. It's all homophobia and ignorance. It's not a disease, you can't catch it, and it's not a perversion. Moral correctness is not an absolute and it really doesn't extend beyond one's self. Even I have trouble with that truth. What's right for many should not be forced on all. Signing off for now...

Old 11-06-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Thank you but when someone equates strip clubs with marriage, gay or straight, it's pretty difficult to remain silent. Strip clubs have certainly broken up a lot of marriages!
I'm not technically for strip clubs in neighborhoods. I am more so trying to create an analogy here. It's kinda of like allowing whisky but banning vodka. It's just people really turn strip clubs down, when it's another moral issue. Gay marriage is a moral issue and some don't even give it a thought.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:12 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
It's just people really turn strip clubs down, when it's another moral issue. Gay marriage is a moral issue and some don't even give it a thought.
What people do with other consenting people's pee-pee parts or with their own is not a "moral issue." Geez.

Ironically, you'd be on more solid ground arguing that gay marriage is a policy issue, not a moral issue, since it involves the granting of government benefits.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
What people do with other consenting people's pee-pee parts or with their own is not a "moral issue." Geez.

Ironically, you'd be on more solid ground arguing that gay marriage is a policy issue, not a moral issue, since it involves the granting of government benefits.
Okay, then call it a policy issue if you like. Either way, I'm glad California is taking some action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies