Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:20 AM

707 posts, read 1,293,727 times

Advertisements

Does anybody else find it interesting that a centerpiece of obama's campaign was change and that McCain at 72 was too old to get it? However, Barry's advisors that he is meeting today include Warren Buffett (78), Robert Rubin (72?) Paul Volcker (82).

Funny how little "change" change really is, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 06:48 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,702,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
Does anybody else find it interesting that a centerpiece of obama's campaign was change and that McCain at 72 was too old to get it? However, Barry's advisors that he is meeting today include Warren Buffett (78), Robert Rubin (72?) Paul Volcker (82).

So you noticed that too. The old guard from ages past coming to implement change. Obama said he would surround himself with the experience that he lacks. Seems that "experience" still means age. You really can't have one without the other. However, age often means 'set in one's ways'. Only the exceptional elder individual can make the transition to real change. We'll see if these people can make that transition, and work for the good of the country. Most politicians look out for themselves first.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:34 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,852,080 times
There's a huge difference between being in charge/making the decisions, and "asking the grey hairs for ADVICE.

Or would you prefer he do what Bush did and ask a bunch of neocons, with no understanding of history what to do, and then claim it was God's will?

golfgod

Old 11-07-2008, 10:46 AM

524 posts, read 942,513 times
Quote:

I have mixed emotions about that... I campaigned against Obama and I am a member of Team Sarah! But if I was in Barack's position I would try to get experienced advisors as well! Just because he gets their advice does not always mean that he will follow it either!

Looking at the people he is interested in... this can also be a good thing!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:07 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,480,125 times
It's smart to get advice from those with experience..President Obama will make the final decision..Should he have some high school kids advise him? The President's decision making will determine what changes will happen...The fact that he is consulting advisors is change from the "go it alone" Bush administration.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:09 PM

524 posts, read 942,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
It's smart to get advice from those with experience..President Obama will make the final decision..Should he have some high school kids advise him? The President's decision making will determine what changes will happen...The fact that he is consulting advisors is change from the "go it alone" Bush administration.
Reagan found the best people in every area he needed to make a decision on, regardless of party affiliation... Obama is accumulating advisors that are as radically left as he is.

There is a BIG difference! He IS making the same mistake George W. Bush made... Bush only listened to advisors that he personally knew and that were in his small circle of influence... If Mr. Obama only selects of like minded people he is going to go the same way as G.W. did.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:35 PM

707 posts, read 1,293,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
There's a huge difference between being in charge/making the decisions, and "asking the grey hairs for ADVICE.

Or would you prefer he do what Bush did and ask a bunch of neocons, with no understanding of history what to do, and then claim it was God's will?

golfgod
You should get over yourself. I didn't make any judgement, I simply stated a fact that we were inundated with McCain's age for the past year yet Obama is choosing advisors from the same generation. I happen to think Paul Volcker is one of the finest public servants we have ever had. Just wondering where the Obama generation of change is?

Old 11-07-2008, 05:53 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
Quote:
You should get over yourself. I didn't make any judgement, I simply stated a fact that we were inundated with McCain's age for the past year yet Obama is choosing advisors from the same generation. I happen to think Paul Volcker is one of the finest public servants we have ever had. Just wondering where the Obama generation of change is?

Seems tapping experience is change from what we had the last 8 years. well i am excluding the experience bush's group brought for self service first.

I have no problem with Obama tapping some of the most experienced minds in finance and business to get agrasp on a difficult situation. It is better than turning 700B over to wall street CEO's that caused the problem. It is my hope they will steer him in ways to control the 700B. As another pointed out an opinion is just that and he can choose to utilize it or another point of view.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:31 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,420,345 times
Quote:

I was a little perplexed at this as well. he did bring back quite a few Clinton people to his administration as well.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:36 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
The whole premise of the OP is wrong. McCain's age only became a major concern when he picked an obviously unworthy runningmate. Even then, Obama and Biden never said McCain's age disqualified him from the job.

I voted for Mike Gravel in the primary, the oldest candidate on either side. Age is just a number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies