Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 01:04 PM

343 posts, read 510,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Its funny how blacks supported the Passing of Prop 8 at a rate of 70%. I think its funny how African Americans are only liberal on issues that RELATE TO THEM. When it comes to equality for others outside the black community, they dont want those groups to have their rights, but when it comes to them, they scream bloody murder when they think their rights are being violated in any way. I see the same thing in the Hispanic community. Hispanics want illegal aliens to be handed citizenship for doing nothing more than being criminals because it is the "moral thing to do" but when it came to prop 8 and giving others rights (outside the hispanic community), they said "no way."

Two minority groups that have shown their very selfish "ME ME ME ME....RIGHTS FOR ONLY ME" attitudes.

This is some racist filth right here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 01:33 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,624,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Exactly. The Constitution is as much about Minority Rights as it is Majority Rule.

Propositions are a big threat to this country. Just because 50.1% of the people think something is a good idea, doesn't mean that it is - or that it should become law.
In a way, you are right. The Bill of Rights was intended to protect certain liberties and freedoms from the tyranny of a majority.

With that said though, there exist no "right" to health care, or "marriage" outside of a social contract which does not exist. Homosexuals have the same natural rights as straight people do, under the Constitution.

The system we have (or was intended by the Founding Fathers) is that people express their will thru the natural legislative process. On the other hand, it seems that you are arguing for something other...?

What would that be? As an aside here, I always find it ironic (and disgusting) that while many on the far left talk endlessly about "the people"...they do not respect those same people when it goes against their own agenda. Instead, they embrace the power of a "Supreme Court" to impose their will and ideology on those who reject it.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:50 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,578,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Why is it that Liberals cannot take a loss? Regarding Prop 8, its rather pathetic the antics they are putting up just because they lost. We are in a democracy, and the people spoke and have decided that they did not want gay marriage to be legal in California. It seems like liberals are whiny babies and will protest everytime things dont go the way they want it to. Its extremely pathetic, and I am hoping that the nation is watching these pathetic little whiners and realizing that liberals are just a group of people who want democracy ONLY WHEN IT WORKS IN THEIR FAVOR. And, if the courts overturn the people again, there will be hell to pay for our state.
What comes to my mind is the whining & outright disgusting postings by the republicans & conservatives who can't handle that a democrat won. Think about that one.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:57 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,470,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
LOL..hmm.. well I would assume hte reasons is because The right wants to discriminate against a group of people and the "liberals" as you call them, want equal rights for the group being discriminated against.
It's pretty hard to blame this on the "right". Calf is pretty left, they went for Obama 61% but still voted against gay marriage. The left voted against gay marriage, they split the ticket.

You probably blame the right when your car battery goes dead.

Last edited by coastalrap; 11-09-2008 at 02:05 PM..

Old 11-09-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
What comes to my mind is the whining & outright disgusting postings by the republicans & conservatives who can't handle that a democrat won. Think about that one.

I don't see much whining. You want to see some big time whining, go back 4 years then 8 years.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdistheWord View Post
This is some racist filth right here.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:09 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,145,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
It's pretty hard to blame this on the "right". Calf is pretty left, they went for Obama 61% but still voted against gay marriage. The left voted against gay marriage, they split the ticket.
Yes, but they voted only 52% in favor of Prop 8. You could reason that almost all who didn't vote for Obama voted for Prop 8, and very few people on the "left" voted for Prop 8.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:10 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,145,634 times
(re: dead horse animation) Hardly. Someone needed to point out how racist that entire paragraph is.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:28 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,803,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

The system we have (or was intended by the Founding Fathers) is that people express their will thru the natural legislative process. On the other hand, it seems that you are arguing for something other...?

What would that be? As an aside here, I always find it ironic (and disgusting) that while many on the far left talk endlessly about "the people"...they do not respect those same people when it goes against their own agenda. Instead, they embrace the power of a "Supreme Court" to impose their will and ideology on those who reject it.
I don't know what you are referring to when you say "natural legislative process," but I think we should work the legislative process we have, minus ballot initiatives -whether I agree with them or not. That is, an elected Congress makes the laws. These ballot initiatives were not the intent of our founding fathers and have only been used relatively recently, and in cases like this one to take away the rights of others.

BTW, because 50.1% vote to make something law does not make that "law" constitutional. The courts still decide that, just like they do for all laws.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Yes, but they voted only 52% in favor of Prop 8. You could reason that almost all who didn't vote for Obama voted for Prop 8, and very few people on the "left" voted for Prop 8.

You could say that but that would be just speculation without the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies