Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 10:30 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times

Advertisements

Obama is the first black president elect, NOW WHAT?

I asked this question because being African American, I prefer black, all of my African American family members, co workers, and church members are all jubilated and in some state of euphoria. Not that I am saying that they shouldn't feel this way because I, too, was just as jubilated, in that moment, when the California polls closed at 8 pm our time and CNN announced Obama was the winner.

But after realizing what Obama's winning meant for my people, I started to think about how racism shouldn't be used as an excuse anymore. I started to think about now that we have our first black president elect, there shouldn't be any excuses for my people to use for not succeeding in school, not doing our best on our jobs, and not thinking that we can't achieve any of our dreams and aspirations in life, which, in my opinion, shouldn't have been used before Obama was elected.

The fact that Obama is the first black president elect doesn't make him our great black hope, and I am starting to sense that some people think he is our great black hope. We need to mindful of the fact that he's still just a man who will make mistakes in his presidency and try to unite our nation and help our country get out of this economic mess.

Only time will tell if Obama can truly bring the change he has been promising to everyone of us. I just hope that his winning the election will bring about a change in all of us to be better Americans, to be better parents, to be better students, and to move beyond the race card. America has finally lived up to her promise, and we all need to step up to the plate, STOP GIVING EXCUSES, and do our part to keep her the Greatest Nation on God's Green Earth.

Last edited by antredd; 11-08-2008 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 11:42 PM

713 posts, read 1,866,317 times
antredd,

Yours is an inspiring post. Well said!

Old 11-09-2008, 01:33 AM

630 posts, read 1,295,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post

But after realizing what Obama's winning meant for my people, I started to think about how racism shouldn't be used as an excuse anymore. I started to think about now that we have our first black president elect, there shouldn't be any excuses for my people to use for not succeeding in school, not doing our best on our jobs, and not thinking that we can't achieve any of our dreams and aspirations in life, which, in my opinion, shouldn't have been used before Obama was elected.

The fact that Obama is the first black president elect doesn't make him our great black hope, and I am starting to sense that some people think he is our great black hope. We need to mindful of the fact that he's still just a man who will make mistakes in his presidency and try to unite our nation and help our country get out of this economic mess.

Only time will tell if Obama can truly bring the change he has been promising to everyone of us. I just hope that his winning the election will bring about a change in all of us to be better Americans, to be better parents, to be better students, and to move beyond the race card. America has finally lived up to her promise, and we all need to step up to the plate, STOP GIVING EXCUSES, and do our part to keep her the Greatest Nation on God's Green Earth.
i think the words i highlighted there that you said is an EXCELLENT POINT. Its amazing to see how far our country has come with its prejudice thinking. I personally did not vote Obama, but now that he is president i will respect him as our president. like alot of the presidents, he choices are not free, he is strongly restricted by his advisors and the house and senate who make descitions for him. So when alot of our presidents have made mistakes it has been almost controlled by these advisors. I hope in office he will do the right thing, but aside from weither I agree with him politically or not i think its absolutely awsome hes our very first black president.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:07 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
i think the words i highlighted there that you said is an EXCELLENT POINT. Its amazing to see how far our country has come with its prejudice thinking. I personally did not vote Obama, but now that he is president i will respect him as our president. like alot of the presidents, he choices are not free, he is strongly restricted by his advisors and the house and senate who make descitions for him. So when alot of our presidents have made mistakes it has been almost controlled by these advisors. I hope in office he will do the right thing, but aside from weither I agree with him politically or not i think its absolutely awsome hes our very first black president.
God bless you Okie. I am hoping that we can put this all behind us, and truly move forward as a great country. In these times, we can't be divided.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
God bless you Okie. I am hoping that we can put this all behind us, and truly move forward as a great country. In these times, we can't be divided.
We were divided when the stock market was doing so good so I wouldn't worry about that. Just get out and start putting the jubiliation to work. Start showing your confidence in Obama buy investing in the stock market, it's not really wise to wait until Jan 21 to do that because if you don't bring it up, higher joblessness rates than 6.1% will be the result.

And nows the time to start doing some of that volunteering since Obama is in office. Get down to the homeless shelters and help out, volunteer in the schools, the Head Start centers, do some street clean up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies