Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:00 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
That bill looks like a bureaucratic nightmare from hell (like most of them seem to be nowadays), and I find it unfortunate that the wonderful concept of homesteading has morphed into that kind of bureaucratic monstrosity which is so far removed from what the idea was once about.

I'll pass on that. Bring back something resembling real homesteading.

Side note: It's a damn shame what they did in Alaska (and most of the western states, for that matter), the way they divided it up. The fed government sure made out like a bandit on that deal, though. Homesteading is dead, and so too is a large part of the American dream with it.... I think.
Alaska still has, on occassion, a homesteading program which is fairly simple and straight forward. A non-agricultural homestead can be up to 40 acres in size. The applicant must pay a non-refundable $500 administration fee. The homesteader must then live on the property nine months out of every twelve for five years, and build a "single-family dwelling" (cabin's count) within a five year period.

The homesteading program in Alaska does not happen every year, but it does still happen.

I think most people find it easier simply to buy the land. The vast majority have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to homestead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 06:23 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Alaska still has, on occassion, a homesteading program which is fairly simple and straight forward. A non-agricultural homestead can be up to 40 acres in size. The applicant must pay a non-refundable $500 administration fee. The homesteader must then live on the property nine months out of every twelve for five years, and build a "single-family dwelling" (cabin's count) within a five year period.

The homesteading program in Alaska does not happen every year, but it does still happen.

I think most people find it easier simply to buy the land. The vast majority have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to homestead.
Been to the DNR-AK website for a few years, have checked out their different programs.... remote staking.... OTC land sales... The prices are quite reasonable for the OTC land, though a lot of the subdivisions have sketchy land. Nonetheless, it's a little piece of dream that some people are looking for.

Wish they would re-open the land sales for the southeast region (that seems to be a common complaint among those looking for property up there), though the reason they probably don't is because there might not be too much state land left.... As per prior complaint, the feds basically own most of the southeast. They've seemingly squeezed most of the citizens into the town-proper like sardines, for the most part, while the feds just sit on more open land than is practically fathomable to the human mind. I digress....

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 09-01-2011 at 06:48 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 08:02 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Been to the DNR-AK website for a few years, have checked out their different programs.... remote staking.... OTC land sales... The prices are quite reasonable for the OTC land, though a lot of the subdivisions have sketchy land. Nonetheless, it's a little piece of dream that some people are looking for.

Wish they would re-open the land sales for the southeast region (that seems to be a common complaint among those looking for property up there), though the reason they probably don't is because there might not be too much state land left.... As per prior complaint, the feds basically own most of the southeast. They've seemingly squeezed most of the citizens into the town-proper like sardines, for the most part, while the feds just sit on more open land than is practically fathomable to the human mind. I digress....
That is very true about the Alaskan panhandle. There are at least two National Parks, one National Monument, and a National Forest that is three times the size of any other National Forest in the US. That does not leave much State land left in that area.

Speaking of depopulated towns and ghost towns, Alaska lost over 4,000 jobs during the 1990s when Clinton killed the timber industry. Unfortunately, there are no other industries in that part of Alaska (other than tourism, mining, and fishing) that can support a population.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:21 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

There are people living in cardboard like this over near the deserted mall in NE Tennessee
Wow. Third world America style?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 PM

838 posts, read 922,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthoughts View Post
it's just not small towns, had a look at Detroit recently?
Exactly, Noticed that Pasadena, Calif. has closed down stores on almost every block now. Asked stores what happened, and they said it's the economy, taxes and rents. Other cities all over So. Calif. are closing stores, not just small shops but big dealerships, Burger King, Wendy's, entire strip malls. It's scary.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Pffffftttt... We make land all the time up here.

Between our melting glaciers, active volcanoes, and post-glacial rebounding, we are always making new land.

In fact, if you waited until low tide, you could divide Alaska into thirds and Texas would STILL be the fourth largest State in the Union.
people who come here, take pics then figure out ...you cant eat the scenery...

You can own 100 acres in Boone N.C. cant really sell it today....unless some can farm unlimited land has limited appeal for most folks.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:23 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Wow. Third world America style?
pretty much. And they are white guys who lost jobs. Not illegals. There is a tent city somewhere in southern Virginia as well, my ex SIL mentioned it- I think its near Richmond- havent been there in a few years.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:31 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
I never thought I would see the day that Ghost Towns would happen in our era. Soon, small towns are going to close up due to the economy since they can't survive, let alone pay for any services.
I also see the population in my town either becoming rampid with crime due to the loss of jobs or the population will severly decrease as the unemployed move from my town to a state where they can get a job or live with relatives who can support them.
The days of white picket fences and the American Dream are over. Now it's about who will survive. I think America is learning there are some things we can do without. Like large expensive homes, suv's, HDTV'S, motorhomes or camping trailers, fancy restaurants, Wal-marts on every corner, etc. I know I can live without those things, I have so far, can you?
That seems to be a global phenomenon, same here in Europe. As people move to the big cities or to more appealing regions, some small towns gradually die out.
There was a report on that on TV recently. Oftentimes there are just a dozen old people left in an entire town, roaming the empty roads or just sitting around, basically waiting to die. No children, no life, nature gradually taking back what used to be nature hundreds or thousands of years ago, like with the pyramids in the Mexican jungle.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:42 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Default Ghost Towns and Depopulation

Depop Chokra, man.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:44 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
basically waiting to die. No children, no life, nature gradually taking back what used to be nature hundreds or thousands of years ago, like with the pyramids in the Mexican jungle.
No---like Detroit. Like Gary, Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies