Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 05:42 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
What I like most about secession is that each State that secedes, would have no debt.

They can each start off new, with a sound money system.

I think the Ukraine did that.

YouTube - BTO - Takin' Care Of Business (A Sexier Version)!
Not if they were dumb enough to take the money from Obama's gang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 05:42 PM

18 posts, read 106,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why do the left not support the right to self determination???

It is terrible to see so many would be tyrants.
Because the left wants to be in control and shut everyone else up.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:46 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
As far as I'm concerned, those who are unwilling to at least acknowledge that there are others who feel differently than you, and are unwilling to accept differences of opinion (such as yourself), are the worst kind of Americans there are. It is differences in opinion that make this country GREAT. That we have the FREEDOM and the RIGHT to express those differences of opinions - OPENLY - that make the United States the greatest nation on the face of the planet.

People like you, who actually try to stifle speech (your comment above are but one example) are UN-American IMHO; and UN-Patriotic IMHO.
You forgot to add that they are ignorant too.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:46 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
I'm not opposed to ordinary citizens discussing it..

I am very opposed to Governors advocating it - it is an attempt to incite insurrection - and it could lead to the break-up of the Union...

That obviously doesn't bother you - so be it...

And quite the retarded line that I am against free speach... You are so full of yourself that you can't think straight..
The Governor is also a Citizen. And, if you read the entire CONTEXT of what he said, you might find that he said he was "open" to the "discussion" but, did not think secession would happen. Perry (and the other legislatures, including Arizona's, are not attempting to "incite insurrection" - that is pure silliness on your part.

And you ARE against Free SPEECH (not SPEACH) whenever you use language that easily is interpreted as "get out if you don't like it". That is Rude, Demeaning, Insulting and attempt to stifle speech.

And when you try to insult another poster because of their opinion - as you have tried to do to me above, it is nothing more than a veiled attempt to stifle that speech. Frankly, you are the one who thinks their s hit don't stink.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:03 PM

337 posts, read 826,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I think all this talk about secession is really childish. I've never heard a democrat talk about secession when things don't go his way, he may threaten to move to Canada, but that's about it.

The republicans on the other hand, are acting like junk yard bullies right now. They would rather choose civil war and destroy the very country they claim to love so much to get their way, than work together to bring this country out of this current mess. Both parties were responsible for the mess afterall.
You're right they talk about leaving and moving to another country when/if they don't get there way.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:24 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
"Treason was specifically defined in the United States Constitution the only crime so defined. Article III, Section 3 delineates treason as follows:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court."

It would be a far stretch to find peaceful secessionists guilty of treason.

Visit the "Orly Taitz" thread; much of the talk of secession is less than "peaceful."

Old 04-17-2009, 06:46 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I can't see how people could be unhappy with Bush spending like a drunken sailor for 8 years when Obama spends money that makes Bush look like a miser. The hypocrisy of both sides, but particularly the far left, is bordering on the insane.
Obama: "What is this man's crime?"
Janet Napolitano : "Treason, Mr. President. I caught this man walking down the street with a chicken."

Old 04-17-2009, 09:38 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
This talk of secssion is no actually an advocacy of really going that far. It is being used more as a way of saying things are getting pretty bad. And they are. Obama is no savior folks. His election (and I don't care about 'popularity' stats) jas driven a wedge into the country. Before I get labeled a 'neocon' or some other such drivel, I'm not a republican or a democrat or an independent or any other 'party'. I disliked Bush as much as anyone and feel the same way about Obama. They both have a knack for keeping us at each others throats. I lean right in my views as I support the 2nd ammendment, and despise far left 'social' views, so the tea partys struck a chord with me, and the contempt I see from the far left for them frosts me. The talk of dividing the Union rather than strengthening it through state solidarity bothers me as well. Secession is not the answer, a stong stance by the Union against DC power plays is. We have forgotten that Washington is NOT the Union and we do not owe the DC power structure a bloody thing, least of all our blind loyalty. That is where the left turns sharply off course in giving them such loyalty and the right veers off in talk of armed rebellion and secession.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The creditors have recourse against the US Government, not individual states. States are only liable for the debts that their individual states have created.. Since many states are required by state constitutions to hold a balanced budget, most states have no debt..
Exactly how that is calculated is sometimes something to behold. They have to take in enough revenue to pay their obligations every year; that doesn't mean they can't take on debt. I think most states have debt, even if they have a balanced budget.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:42 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The creditors have recourse against the US Government, not individual states. States are only liable for the debts that their individual states have created.. Since many states are required by state constitutions to hold a balanced budget, most states have no debt..
Oh my - you really should stay away from debates about finance and economics -since you don't seem to have a clue about either...

ALL STATES have debt levels - that has NOTHING to do with balancing the budget - never took an accounting course - hmmm??

This chart is dated - but it shows individual state debt levels as of 1992 - the picture has only gotten worse since then...

The mushrooming of state debt: a beast about to attack? | Government Finance Review | Find Articles at BNET
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies