Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 05:33 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times

Advertisements

Marriage is between a man and a woman!

IMO there should be a different name for a gay couple that wants a similar ceremonie as a man and a woman have when they get married.

IMO that will solve a lot.

Most people have a hard time calling it the same as the wedding a man and a woman have since this is different. Nobody can claim that this is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 05:40 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times
Hasn't "separate but equal" been tried before?

Old 11-15-2008, 06:11 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Most people have a hard time calling it the same as the wedding a man and a woman have since this is different. Nobody can claim that this is the same.
Most people had a hard time with giving equal rights to woman last century because women and men are different. Nobody can claim they are the same.

Most people had a hard time with giving equal rights to blacks last century because white and black are different. Nobody can claim they are the same.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:22 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
I think we should erase the terms MARRIAGE, HUSBAND and WIFE from all civil agreements.

1. Elevate Civil Unions to the same importance as current day 'civil marriages' with all the protections and rights married straight people now have. All couples, straight and gay should enter into civil unions in order to declare themselves to the government. Civil Unions should replace 'marriage licenses".

2. It has to be on a federal level so gays wont lose their rights when they cross state lines.

3. If a couple then wants to get 'married', they can do so at a church. Some churches marry gays-that's their perogative as a church and should be respected.

I've noticed however that many gays don't even want this. I am gay and would be perfectly fine with the above system, but its like now many are on a campaign to stick it to religions and force everyone to do what they want or else.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:23 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Hasn't "separate but equal" been tried before?
A civil union will never be equal to a marriage. Marriage is ordained by God and civil union is a legal device. But the same rights accorded people in real marriages can be accorded to those entering in to civil unions.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I think we should erase the terms MARRIAGE, HUSBAND and WIFE from all civil agreements.

1. Elevate Civil Unions to the same importance as current day 'civil marriages' with all the protections and rights married straight people now have. All couples, straight and gay should enter into civil unions in order to declare themselves to the government. Civil Unions should replace 'marriage licenses".

2. It has to be on a federal level so gays wont lose their rights when they cross state lines.

3. If a couple then wants to get 'married', they can do so at a church. Some churches marry gays-that's their perogative as a church and should be respected.

I've noticed however that many gays don't even want this. I am gay and would be perfectly fine with the above system, but its like now many are on a campaign to stick it to religions and force everyone to do what they want or else.

Sounds sensible to me.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
A civil union will never be equal to a marriage. Marriage is ordained by God and civil union is a legal device. But the same rights accorded people in real marriages can be accorded to those entering in to civil unions.
Psst.. did you just say "real" marriages? You know, like Britanny's or the Las Vegas drive-thru Chapel of Love?

Old 11-15-2008, 07:14 AM

425 posts, read 1,093,063 times
Quote:
Oh really? I was married by a judge. I wasn't civilly unionized by a judge. I told people I was married to my husband. Didn't happen anywhere near a church.

Didn't last either, unlike my GAY FRIENDS who have managed to stay together for over 20 years, but still can't get married.

I like this definition of "marriage":

Quote:
Marriage is a social, religious, spiritual, or legal union of individuals. This union may also be called matrimony, while the ceremony that marks its beginning is usually called a wedding and the married status created is sometimes called wedlock.

Marriage is an institution in which interpersonal relationships (usually intimate and sexual) are acknowledged by the state or by religious authority. It is often viewed as a contract. Civil marriage is the legal concept of marriage as a governmental institution, in accordance with marriage laws of the jurisdiction. If recognized by the state, by the religion(s) to which the parties belong or by society in general, the act of marriage changes the personal and social status of the individuals who enter into it.
It is the union of two people who love each other. Period. Everyone should be entitled to participate.

It's not about loving your dog, beastiality, your religion, God, or anything else. People who aren't Christians and who never even touched a bible are accorded this right every day all over the world. How can you tell me it makes a difference that you're offended by it because of your religion? Your religion offends me more and more with each passing day.

You get to marry the person of your choosing whom you love. So do I. Why shouldn't my dear friends?

Old 11-15-2008, 07:32 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
No, marriage is ordained by the state. The only times any god gets involved are when people are married by a clergyperson

Old 11-15-2008, 08:40 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Hmmm I heard this same thing from a lesbian freind of mine. Her opinion follows this pretty close. She feels that all the rioting and screaming is setting things back 50 years....and I agree. It does boil down to a "separate but equal" system ..I guess, if one wants to look at it that way. The big problem lies in a simple word. Semantics, that's it in a nutshell. The solution to this could be a lot simpler than it seems. "Could" being the key word. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies