Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: State your stance on Abortion and the Death Penalty
I am "Pro-Life" and for the Death Penalty 35 28.46%
I am "Pro-Life" and against the Death Penalty 10 8.13%
I am "Pro-Choice" and for the Death Penalty 42 34.15%
I am "Pro-Choice" and against the Death Penalty 36 29.27%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:12 AM

532 posts, read 908,489 times

Advertisements

I'm pro-choice because I don't think the government should have the right to tell women what to do with their bodies. Personally, I would like there to be less abortions but I think the best way to accomplish that is through education and making sure less unwanted pregnancies occur. I do not think making a law outlawing abortion would stop it, it would only make it unsafe and unregulated.
I'm anti-death penalty because I have no faith in our justice system's ability to determine who is guilty. If one innocent person is mistakenly put to death that is one too many. If there was a way to prove absolute guilt, I might be for it for rape and murder. But unfortunately, in our justice system money makes it far more likely you will have good lawyers and good lawyers greatly affect the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 07:14 AM

524 posts, read 942,024 times
I am Catholic and Conservative but this subject is one that I go back and fourth on...

Due to my religion and my party influences I have strong anti-abortion feelings. I do not feel that it should be a method of birth control, I do feel that parents should be notified if their under age child is going to go undergo the procedure, and I do not like the partial birth abortion.

But there is a side to me that thinks... it is none of the government's business what I do with my body! In cases of rape or incest I do not believe the woman should be forced to have that child. Yes it is not the child's fault... but it is not hers either. That child will be a constant reminder of the horrors that she was forced to endure and what a stigma for that child to grow up with when it asked about his/her daddy.

Not to sound too crass... but culling the herd a little is not always a bad thing. We need to clean the gene pool a little anyway.

I know all of the pros and cons of both sides of this argument... I just have not made up my mind.

As for the death penalty... I am for it 100%. There is a big difference in taking a life that is innocent and just beginning and taking the life of a person that has done something so horrible that the world would be a better place without him/her.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:21 AM

394 posts, read 1,007,024 times
pro-choice here.....until the 5th month anyway. then my opinion changes.

death penalty???? ABSOLUTELY! as a matter of fact it needs to be expanded to include repeat sexual predators [violent or not] and repeat violent criminals, especially gang members. and no more of this lethal injection horsepucky. let the punishment mirror what the victim was put through.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:25 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
And low crime rates in several of those countries... the ones with structure at least.
Do your research, murder rates are LOWER in countries without the death penalty. Or prove yourself the fool, the choice is yours.

I suspect you belong to the party of "no facts shall be considered in my rants", a.k.a., the repukes.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:28 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,846,925 times
it's just like drugs. we have such harsh drug laws, but we have the most drug use. I personally am all for the death penalty, and I am pro choice. I don't believe you can for one, and against another. I also have some ideas for prisons, but that is an entirely different thread. prisoners are spoiled little brats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Do your research, murder rates are LOWER in countries without the death penalty. Or prove yourself the fool, the choice is yours.

I suspect you belong to the party of "no facts shall be considered in my rants", a.k.a., the repukes.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:07 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I don't believe you can for one, and against another.
Unless you don't think a fetus and a grown person are the same thing, which a lot of people don't.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:57 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1234 View Post
what you talkin bout son. them folks on death row HAD THEIR CHANCE. killin a babys alot different then killin a murderer. you lib folks really cant tell the difference or ya just talkin **** to keep abortion legal?
No you can't have it both ways. If you are truly pro-life then you would want every human being to have the chance to live no matter how despicable they are. If you don't then you are merely anti-abortion.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:30 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,714,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

LOL... The countries who eliminate scum are the ones with lowest rates...

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...murders_percap

http://www.nationmaster.com/cat/cri-crime&all=1

Old 11-19-2008, 09:32 AM

973 posts, read 2,228,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvpunk View Post
Is it hypocritical to be Pro-Life and for the Death Penalty? Or vice versa ("Pro-Choice" and against the Death Penalty)? I apologize if this has been posted before.

As for me, I am "Pro-Life" and against the Death Penalty? (Does that make me an R, a D, or an I btw?)
Pro-life for someone who hasn't had the opportunity to prove themselves in this world is a totally different subject than pro-life for someone who's proven to be a menace to society. Apples to oranges, and it's simply semantics for anti-abortionists to be "pro-life." People are taking that statement too literally when they try to claim a contradiction for being anti-abortion and pro-capital punishment.

Edit: That doesn't make you an R, D, or I. One issue doesn't define how a person should vote, and I personally think everyone who's not a politician should be an Independent, so they have the freedom to not be counted on with an 85-90% assurance that you'll vote along party lines. Make parties and candidates EARN your vote. I agree with nearly everything the Libertarian party stands for, except widely open borders and completely unrestricted free trade. Those are two big issues, so I consider myself an Independent that leans Libertarian. I do follow typical Libertarianism on these two issues.. pro-choice and pro-capital punishment. I think a lot of traditional Democrats and Republicans who are both more socially liberal and fiscally conservative would be stunned to see they're more in line with the Libertarian party than their own. Unfortunately, the mindset for most of this country is that there are only two parties.. it hasn't always been the case, and it isn't the case today.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:03 PM

838 posts, read 922,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnasi View Post
I am Pro life and for the Death penalty. I feel that this is not a hypocritical situation the baby did nothing to nobody, someone on death row has killed some one so it is to different situations.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies