Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times

Advertisements

That seems to be the story on the news every single evening. Yet every night they also show SUVs they can't sell being assembled. Well yea, they are going to run out of cash, but with a stupid business model of "lets make a whole bunch of stuff we can't sell" why in hell should the tax payers bail them out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 08:50 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That seems to be the story on the news every single evening. Yet every night they also show SUVs they can't sell being assembled. Well yea, they are going to run out of cash, but with a stupid business model of "lets make a whole bunch of stuff we can't sell" why in hell should the tax payers bail them out?
or, let's make a whole bunch of stuff that idiots have purchased in the past.
Screw GM...I understand that we have to keep auto workers working, but GM has to have ultimatums. No more gas guzzling monstrosities GM. No more crushing cars like the EV1 GM. No more sucking up to big oil GM. No more keeping the USA in the dinosaur age GM. No more obscene CEO bonuses GM. Get with the program GM or I'd rather revert back to a horse and buggy. You know what? Screw all of the morons that purchased GM's shameful, oversized hunks of metal.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:48 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,419,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Screw GM...I understand that we have to keep auto workers working, but GM has to have ultimatums. No more gas guzzling monstrosities GM. No more crushing cars like the EV1 GM. No more sucking up to big oil GM. No more keeping the USA in the dinosaur age GM. No more obscene CEO bonuses GM. Get with the program GM or I'd rather revert back to a horse and buggy. You know what? Screw all of the morons that purchased GM's shameful, oversized hunks of metal.
it costs money to retool, which is part of the problem, the government required them to retool to meet new mileage regulations, then our economy went to hell. Tough time to have a mandated increase in spending by our government. The other side of the blade is the unions bleeding the company to death.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:27 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,851,443 times
noahma wrote;
Quote:
The other side of the blade is the unions bleeding the company to death.
Yeah, everyone always pi**es and moans about the $1,000/car that they pay for health benefits. No one ever brings up the $2,000 PLUS that they have to pay for ADVERTISING the c**p they build. As opposed to the $350 or so per car that Honda spends on advertising!

Although I must admit that American brand cars are pretty much on a par with the Japanese brands any more.

golfgod

Old 11-13-2008, 11:20 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,564,540 times
We aren't talking about making an example of Taco John's here, people. Millions of jobs (both GM/Ford jobs, and auxillary jobs) and a big part of our national security are on the line. Give them the short-term money that they need. Let the government gain stability when Congress reconvenes next January so a lame duck Washington doesn't make rash decisions. Let the government make the good decisions that the GM/Ford heads didn't.
The Ford plant here in Saint Paul runs on hydroelectricity right from the Mississippi and is located in the heart of one of the greenest cities in America, and they are going to shut the whole damn thing down. Maybe it will take a few billion dollars and some decisions from Washington that would make the Ranger plant the new hybrid car plant. What better marketing could they need? A company making good decisions would not shutter that plant. So gut the management and let the government take it over.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:00 AM

955 posts, read 2,158,063 times
Quote:
Why do we HAVE to keep auto workers working? Yet on the other side of your plan, you seem to want to dictate what companies produce. You are introducing your value system by such phrases as "gas guzzling monstrosities". I say let GM fail if it cannot run as a viable business and let the marketplace sort it out. The workers would have to find employment elsewhere, including the executives.

Have you checked the retail sector lately? Everyone but WalMart is going down the tubes. Must we "HAVE to keep those workers working" too?
Shall you dictate what those companies can sell?

All of these bailouts have become a slush fund for the political types. Their line of credit keeps increasing.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:09 AM

416 posts, read 712,994 times
One of my goals in life is to never own another car.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
it costs money to retool, which is part of the problem, the government required them to retool to meet new mileage regulations, then our economy went to hell. Tough time to have a mandated increase in spending by our government. The other side of the blade is the unions bleeding the company to death.
I think you need to to do a bit more research. Late now, but tomorrow I'll provide some links. I don't know where you are getting your info from, but it is not accurate.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Why do we HAVE to keep auto workers working? Yet on the other side of your plan, you seem to want to dictate what companies produce. You are introducing your value system by such phrases as "gas guzzling monstrosities". I say let GM fail if it cannot run as a viable business and let the marketplace sort it out. The workers would have to find employment elsewhere, including the executives.

Have you checked the retail sector lately? Everyone but WalMart is going down the tubes. Must we "HAVE to keep those workers working" too?
Shall you dictate what those companies can sell?

All of these bailouts have become a slush fund for the political types. Their line of credit keeps increasing.
I think it is important to keep some kind of manufacturing in the USA. Yes, if my tax dollars are going to bail them out, why would I not want to dictate what they produce? I don't think that I stand alone on this issue. My value system? Tell me what is right and what has worked well by producing big vehicles that enriched big oil and contributed to screwing up the environment.

Walmart sucks and anyone that supports them is unpatriotic! They are a major player in messing up our economy...with their unfair labor practices, putting mom and pop businesses out of business and bringing in poisonous products from China. I'm pretty sure that my post stated that Bailouts should be conditional. What's with your attitude anyway?

Last edited by sickofnyc; 11-14-2008 at 12:29 AM..

Old 11-14-2008, 07:19 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,419,495 times
Quote:
I think you need to to do a bit more research. Late now, but tomorrow I'll provide some links. I don't know where you are getting your info from, but it is not accurate.
let me prempt your notion with a bit of news.

The Wall Street Journal Classroom Edition (http://wsjclassroom.com/archive/06may/auto2_jobsbank.htm - broken link)

employees paid $100,000 per year to do um.... nothing?

General Motors - A legacy of problems on carlist.com

the cost of paying the union pensions
5.2 billion on health care per year on healthcare alone.

New fuel economy regulations could doom U.S. automakers - Jun. 29, 2007
and the cost to just GM to retool for the new CAFE regulations.

"domestic automakers figure that it will cost them $83 billion to meet the new regulations"

how are they NOT being bled dry to meet all of these costs? I am amazed they are still alive and twitching (sorta)

this was a perfect storm for them, the new CAFE regulations on top of the absolutely ridiculous requirements for the unions and the economy turning south when GM, Ford, and Chrysler NEED to have cars sold to make ends meet. No wonder why the foreign companies are doing OK, and more automotive plants are moving over seas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies